Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pictures of the "Danish Exchange" Uniforms Held at the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pictures of the "Danish Exchange" uniforms held at the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

Not sure why the old link don't show all pictures.

Here is a link that should work. (the last 17pictures are not acw related)
    Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Re: pictures of the "Danish Exchange" uniforms held at the Royal Danish Arsenal Museum

I was in Copenhagen a couple weeks ago, and totally stumbled on this display. I did not know this collection existed, so you can imagine my surprise. Thanks for posting the pictures. Yours came out much better than mine. The Arsenal also has a walk through display on the first floor, right now, that literally walks you through a combat tour of a Danish soldier in Afghanistan. You stat off in the guy's bedroom, and walk through has deployment, to include his FOB, an Afghan village, an IED strike, and then ends at his welcome home at the airport. Really need how the Royal Arsenal set this display up. The Royal Arsenal is really a treasure, and I highly recommend it to anyone traveling through the area. I was also fortunate enough on my trip to have a tour of the Dybbol battlefield set up for me by a member of the Danish Army. The battle there took place in 1864, during the Second Schleswig War. Very interesting to see the details of a War going on in Europe at the same time as our Civil War.
      Travis Shick

Comment

The display about Afghanistan is one of the best exhibitions I know of. They recently changed it a bit and added a few display boxes.(and more weapons)
        But most of it is still made so you can touch everything.

When the danish army was to pull out of the FOB Amadillo in the upper greenzone (Helmann province) the museum send one guy to it and together with the soldiers living in the FOB decided what to keep. And they filled up 3x 20feet containers with stuff. So the furniture, toilets, guard tower, the blown Eagle patrol car are all originals.
        Then a few month later it was some of the same combat engineers that had helped pull the FOB down, that helped build the exhibition.
        read more here:

(It got a small video presentation of it)

No glass or barrier. You can sit down and take a nap if you want to.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Soldatens-rum-PM-279x420.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	224673
        Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Are those trousers pleated?
          Jeff Abels

Comment

Yes they are:
            Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Thanks for those pictures!

It seems as though a trip there must be in my near future
              I've been researching the Army Bootee and was aware of their pair, but I wasn't aware that they also held a pair of Artillery/Cavalry boots as well. Jeez. That's a Federal issue shoe geeks heaven.
              Shaun A. Pekar
              Artificer Shoemaker
              Fort Ticonderoga Association

Comment

I know, old thread and a necro post, but I never managed to get a look at these photos. Is there any way to get another look? Thanks!
                Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
                Andrew Dangel,

Comment

Here

Had to remove them from my folder a month ago since I needed the space for something for a few days, but forgot to put them and all my other acw stuff back...
                  Thomas Aagaard

Comment

I added the pictures to my new website... then I no longer need to have them in my dropbox.

I 1858 lavede den danske og amerikanske hær en udveksling af uniformer og udrustning. USA modtog et komplet sæt dansk infanteri og kavaleri udrustning. (dog ingen våben) Og Denmark modtog det samme…
                    Thomas Aagaard

Comment

Thomas, thanks again for taking these photos and posting them for us to see online!
                      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
                      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

The Danish exchange
                        Back in November 2013 I took some photos of the items of "The Danish Exchange" at the "Tøjhusmuseet" in Copenhagen. And the photos have gotten some attention from american reenactores over the years.
                        Since I started tracking traffic on my site earlier this year, about 2/3 of all views are from the US looking at the page with the photos.

As part of my summer holiday with my wife we visited the museum earlier this month. And I tried to take some new photos with my iPhone.
                        But unfortunately the light from the windows result in a lot of reflection. And this was not as big an issue with the original photos since they where taken on a rainy November afternoon. Not on a sunny July day.

But I thought I share them anyway.

The danish military have always had an obvious interest in how other armies where doing things. In 1852 the Danish government showed interest in doing an exchange of uniforms and equipment with the…
                        Thomas Aagaard

Comment

very interesting pictures.It is very useful resource.Thanks for sharing it
                          Peter James

Comment

Working...
                          X