Cook and Brother Carbine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook and Brother Carbine Question

I just purchased a beautiful Armi San Paolo Cook Brothers Artillery Musketoon or Carbine. I was comparing it to an original photo and noticed that the rear sling swivel on an original is attached to a long tang protruding from rear of the trigger guard. The rear sling swivel on this reproduction is a brass swivel/ stud found in the traditional location at the rear bottom of the stock. Did I just buy the farbiest repro out there???? Is there anybody I can send it to to make this correct ??? Can it be fitted for a trigger guard off of another Enfield type reproduction that is more correct?If so, where can I find one ??? Cool little rifle but I don't want one that is totally unauthentic. Were there any originals that had the sling swivel in this location? Help me out guys, PLEASE... Mike
    Mike McSpadden

Re: Cook and Brother Carbine Question

You may want to talk to Todd Watts or the folks at Lodgewood for options.
    https://sites.google.com/site/wattsdefarbs/

Also check out the Pedersoli as it seems to conform better.

The wrist to cheek seems a little excessive but either of the above gunsmiths can fix that. The trigger guard tang seems to be of better proportion then the Armi San Paolo. The Euroarms looks the same as the ASP so no joy there.
    Mike Stein
    Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Armi San Paolo = Euroarms. No you didn't get "the farbiest reproduction out there" but you didn't get anything that will be mistaken for an original either. I am sure this is something Todd Watts or any competent gunsmith could do for you, but once you start "de-farbing" you will find there is probably quite a bit more than the location of the rear swivel that needs attention.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM. View Post
        I just purchased a beautiful Armi San Paolo Cook Brothers Artillery Musketoon or Carbine. I was comparing it to an original photo and noticed that the rear sling swivel on an original is attached to a long tang protruding from rear of the trigger guard. The rear sling swivel on this reproduction is a brass swivel/ stud found in the traditional location at the rear bottom of the stock. Did I just buy the farbiest repro out there???? Is there anybody I can send it to to make this correct ??? Can it be fitted for a trigger guard off of another Enfield type reproduction that is more correct?If so, where can I find one ??? Cool little rifle but I don't want one that is totally unauthentic. Were there any originals that had the sling swivel in this location? Help me out guys, PLEASE... Mike
        I have seen photos of originals produced both ways. The Cook and Brother was produced at Athens, Georgia after the fall of New Orleans, and in both cavalry carbine and artillery models. That might account for the confusion.

Comment

Shipped it to Lodgewood this morning . I will post before and after pics when I get it back...
          Mike McSpadden

Comment

Hallo!

In brief....

Yes, there is are differences (exceptions so noted) between the New Orleans and Athens made ones. Most NO made ones have a two piece trigger guard. Most Athens have a stronger, simpler, one piece design. On Athens pieces, made after NO parts were used up the rear sling swivel is not a separate unit but is an integral part of the trigger guard tang.

So-called artillery musketoons had (nominal) 24 inch barrels, cavalry ones (nominal) 22.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X