X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Period Sewing Threader

Gents-

A question about CW period sewing.

Does anyone know of any period examples of a Civil War threader? Either pictures or a description would be much appreciated.

I have included a picture of a modern one to show what I am talking about in the event it is known by another name to others here.
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Civil War Period Sewing Threader

Sure they had threaders... Daughter, Granddaughter... :-p
    Unfortunately, we have yet to find a device.
    What many ladies recommend is to thread your needles at home and carry them to the event pre-threaded.

Here's an article on sewing tools by Virginia Mescher.
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Thanks for the reply and information Ms. Elaine :)
      Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
      Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
      Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

A needle threader was patented in 1859. Kind of like a miniature pair of tweezers to pull the thread through the eye. I don't know if this ever reached production. However, the patent describes it as an improvement which would indicate the concept was not unknown and that the inventor was improving on an existing idea. PEC? Who knows?
        Attached Files
        Eric Paape
        Because the world needs
        one more aging reenactor

Comment

Thanks Eric!
          Louis Zenti

Comment

Working...
          X