Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Suggestions for USCT Impression

Good Morning,
    I will be attending the first-person impression event For Cause and Country (set in 1864) at Fort Washington, MD next weekend. I'm African-American, USCT, and my wife, who is White, and our two daughters will be coming as well and participating in the sanitary fair at the event. I have found a very few instances of interracial marriage in the CW Era. And if I do any drilling, it will be with a White unit, since my USCT unit will not be there.

I'm looking for ideas on what would make for a good scenario for this one so me and my family can be period correct for this (but as my wife said, "Well, were there any sanitary fairs held at Fort Washington?"). Anyway, a few USCT units were recruited in the area- the 1st USCT in Washington City, DC; the 2nd in Fairfax, VA. the 4th was from Baltimore. but I think most of these were formed in 1863.

Does anyone know what the furlough situation for USCT soldiers? Or what about a soldier couriering a message to the garrison at Fort Washington? Or a new recruit mustering in at the fort?

Thanks for any help.

Bryan Cheeseboro
    54th Massachusetts/USCT Reenactor
    Bryan Cheeseboro

Re: Looking For Suggestions for USCT Impression

'morning sir,

The local Soldiers & Sailors Museum here in Pgh hosts a unit that portrays the USCT. I don't know if the level of info that you need is on their website, under the Education Tab (http://soldiersandsailorshall.org/index.html), but there is contact info. They may be able to provide information.

Best of luck,
    Calum
    Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
    www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
    http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

I have chatted with the organizers of this event. They are firm that the presence of a sole USCT drilling with the white soldiers will not derail their event. So, put your mind at ease about that.

This event has a somewhat "unique" composition. Drill demos are an impressive part of military interpretation, but at this event the focus is more on the "life" around drill. You have researched the USCT and specifically the USCT around the Capitol. You have researched the experiences of African-Americans of diverse backgrounds before, during, and after The War. You have even researched instances of inter-racial marriage. You have a lot of history from which to draw a backstory.

Spectators retain history with which they can identify. Many of the spectators will be of African-American decent (another unique aspect of this event). They will look to you as someone with a story they can relate to. More so than the white soldiers, who while impressive aren't depicting what *they* would have experienced. As a USCT, you are giving them someone to take pride in. You are telling *their* history.

Please put your mind to rest and enjoy this event as an opportunity to share a unique part of history.
      -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Bryan:

We have discussed this event in the Mod Room and it is not considered one of our EBUFU (Events By Us, For Us) or a battalion adjunct to a mainstream event.

However, you have come here seeking to portray your portion of the event in an authentic manner. So, you are definitely in the right place! I'm sure our members will be happy to brainstorm some ideas with you. Doing it correctly is what we are about here and it sounds like that is what you seek.

Thanks for the inquiry. Full-steam ahead!
        Last edited by Eric Tipton; 09-04-2015, 02:54 PM.
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

The 2nd USCT was raised in Arlington, not at all far from Ft. Washington. At the time of Early's Raid, Camp Casey in Arlington held detachments of the 23rd, 27th, and 31st USCT. I'm just getting into this line of research, but I believe Camp Casey continued to support the USCT throughout the war. Casey himself ran the local USCT officer examination board.

As for a background story for you and your wife, you might look into the case of Waterford, Virginia in Loudoun County, a Quaker town with a number of free blacks and, I believe, examples of inter-marriage. E.g., note Henson Young, who served with the 1st USCT: http://www.waterfordhistory.org/hist...n-american.htm
          Last edited by Pvt Schnapps; 09-04-2015, 05:44 PM. Reason: Waterford Link
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Kessinger View Post
            I have chatted with the organizers of this event. They are firm that the presence of a sole USCT drilling with the white soldiers will not derail their event. So, put your mind at ease about that.

This event has a somewhat "unique" composition. Drill demos are an impressive part of military interpretation, but at this event the focus is more on the "life" around drill. You have researched the USCT and specifically the USCT around the Capitol. You have researched the experiences of African-Americans of diverse backgrounds before, during, and after The War. You have even researched instances of inter-racial marriage. You have a lot of history from which to draw a backstory.

Spectators retain history with which they can identify. Many of the spectators will be of African-American decent (another unique aspect of this event). They will look to you as someone with a story they can relate to. More so than the white soldiers, who while impressive aren't depicting what *they* would have experienced. As a USCT, you are giving them someone to take pride in. You are telling *their* history.

Please put your mind to rest and enjoy this event as an opportunity to share a unique part of history.
            Much thanks Elaine but if anything, my mind was never uneasy about falling in with White soldiers, as I have done several times before. Outside of a fairly unnecessary comment someone made at Bentonville last March, I've never had too many problems. As for the 3rd US (the White unit at the event), I've fallen in with them at least three times, including the Chancellorsville 150th and a manual of arms drill a couple of winters ago at Fort Ward in Alexandria, VA.

And thanks for your appreciation of my resume on African-American Civil War history. I was just curious if anyone had any more information to help fill it all in. Anyway, looking forward to seeing you at the event!
            Bryan Cheeseboro

Comment

Working...
            X