Forage cap confusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forage cap confusion.

I'm investing in a new Forage cap and have come across research that says 60% of Union troops did not wear cap brass and as such there is no justification for everyone having it. I have looked at period photographs and many had brass installed. Should I keep my Forage cap free of Horn and Company letter?
    Tim Walker.

President, 125th New York State Volunteer Regiment Association

In Memory of Sgt. Philip H. Van Horn, Co. C, 121st New York State Volunteers

Re: Forage cap confusion.

There's no right or wrong on this. I would suggest finding photos of your unit, and units within the brigade to have an idea of how they appear, and base your impression off of that.

The campaigning element has swung to the far right on no hat brass in the ranks because the mainstream has swung so far to the left, and every piece of hat brass you're entitled to, they wear.

I sold a CDV of a late war Massachusetts guy who was mortally wounded in the summer of 1864; he was wearing his company letter and regiment number with M.V.V. on the forage cap band, along with service stripes on his uniform.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

I don't know about you, but we rarely portray the same unit at events, and if you are portraying at most of the events on this page, that is pretty common, so for me, hat brass is more troublesome. Now, on the Hardee, without the stiffener like a Forage, I put on brass and take it off depending on portrayals, but not my forage cap.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Hallo!

Well covered.

I would add that the Federal regs called for only a company letter on the forage cap.

However, there was much "latitude and laxness" in general, and particularly with state volunteer units. Historically, what portion (all, none, or some) of the "brass" for the dress hat that ended up on forage caps is a highly "unit specific", "time and place" thing dictated by Research and Documentation.
        IMHO, "less is more" PEC in general. Some of that is driven by history, and some was/is driven by
        Progressive/Hardcore/Authentic type effort at depicting or portraying different units for different events. As well the visual effect of combining or brigading individuals, messes, and companies to better look like battalions and brigades.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I think that I should adorn one as per the period photographs from the unit with brass for presentations and lectures then have one plain for unit reenacting.

Thanks guys for the advice. I appreciate all your comments.
          Tim Walker.

President, 125th New York State Volunteer Regiment Association

In Memory of Sgt. Philip H. Van Horn, Co. C, 121st New York State Volunteers

Comment

Bully! It is great that you are willing to invest in two forage caps in order to keep your impression both correct and flexible. Not everyone is able (or willing) to do that.
            Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
            X