32nd Ohio images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32nd Ohio images

Hello Folks, I'm doing research on the 32nd Ohio and have a couple of images to share. I'd like to specifically ID the coat & cap types in the images (which, sadly, are somewhat low rez). I'm not really up on my Union uniform typology; rather than make "fairly good guesses" at exactly which variants are seen, I'd like to see what you experts can tell me.

If you have any images related to the 32nd Ohio, please post. I've only come across 5 rank&filers in years of casual research, and these three are the best. Thanks for taking a look.

-Paul Canter

Click image for larger version

Name:	us_OH-32nd_CoH_Jones-Wm-R_OBV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	231471Click image for larger version

Name:	us_OH-32nd_Bingham-John-C.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	231469Click image for larger version

Name:	us_OH-32nd_CoC_Sgt-Longsworth-Solomon_OBV.jpg
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	231470
    The Hampton Legion, Co. "G"
    The Claremont Rifles

http://www.hamptonlegion.com/

Re: 32nd Ohio images

Frock, sack, sack.

The 32nd is an interesting unit. They were part of the largest surrender of US Troops ever (at Harpers Ferry in 62) until Corregidor fell to the Japanese in WWII. They were paroled (and held at Camp Douglas if I am not mistaken) before "redeeming" themselves during the Vicksburg Campaign, specifically at Champion's Hill.
    Jake Koch
    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Re: 32nd Ohio images

lol Thanks for ID'ing the coats, Jake. I think they're also wearing pants ;)

I'm starting to research Ohio military contractors and wondered what might have been supplied to the 32nd, and if their gear came from Ohio or elsewhere. I know these low-rez imgs aren't much to go on, but was just hoping someone out there has some insight. I love the McDowell forage cap on the kid with the pistol (looks McDowell to me... Type I maybe?). So often I've heard western troops didn't have the McDowell...

They are an interesting unit, and I think the Harper's Ferry surrender adds a fascinating dimension to their history, though it was humiliating for the men. However, their colors were not surrendered. EZ Hayes, the vet who wrote a history of the 32nd, relates how the color bearer stripped the colors from their staff and wrapped them about his body under his clothing, and so they were saved. And yes, you're right about Camp Douglas.

Thanks,

-Paul Canter
      The Hampton Legion, Co. "G"
      The Claremont Rifles

http://www.hamptonlegion.com/

Comment

Working...
      X