Looking for info on Florida made jackets / uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on Florida made jackets / uniforms

Does anyone have any information, photos, or records of Florida made jackets or uniforms? I'm aware that due to the lack of manufacturing capability, the state lacked on uniform production, but I would like to learn more.
    Thanks,
    Dillan Lee
    "Exodus 15:3: The Lord is a man of war"
    Jasper Greens Mess / SCAR

Re: Looking for info on Florida made jackets / uniforms

From lots of years of research, the go-to guy for this question is James "Archie" Marshall of the Hillsborough County Veterans Museum (can be contacted via email at floridawar@msn.com), but I can give you a short synapsis. Most Florida regiments worked under the commutation system early on, and then drew from the depots as the war progressed. Most western regiments were drawing on stocks from Columbus while the eastern troops began drawing from Richmond. State troops remained on the commutation system, providing their own clothing, or much later drew from Charleston. That said, there are a few references to Florida-made uniform jackets, with the largest provider being a mill in Monticello turning out Osnaburg jackets (a heavier cotton than what is commercially sold as Osnaburg today). There are some images of state troops in plain cotton overshirts (John T. Lowe of Mulrennan's Boat Company and later 7th Florida is the best of these images), while it is known through writings from Winston Stephens and others that many just wore what they provided (civilian suits of clothing, etc). Most of the less than a dozen images of Florida troops show them in either Dept of Georgia and East Tennessee jackets (two pocket with flaps like the Pvt Stephens photo of Company E, 7th Fla) or in Richmond type jackets. One great (but blurry) image shows Pvt Streety Parker in a very late war Charleston jacket made of blue/gray kersey (he was a member of the Florida Special Battalions - cow cavalry). They received these pristine depot made uniforms in March of 1865. I would suggest going to the Florida Memory website through the state archives and looking at the few images they have to show the variety of what was available then, and then contact Archie Marshall with any detailed questions you may have.

Here are just a couple photos I had saved to my work computer for now, showing Pvt. William Denham and Pvt Streety Parker

Click image for larger version

Name:	williamdenham.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	224968Click image for larger version

Name:	streetyparker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	224967
    Last edited by Ross L. Lamoreaux; 12-05-2015, 01:14 PM.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Re: Looking for info on Florida made jackets / uniforms

Excellent! Thank you very much!
      Dillan Lee
      "Exodus 15:3: The Lord is a man of war"
      Jasper Greens Mess / SCAR

Comment

Working...
      X