NCST during Spotsylvania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCST during Spotsylvania

Would anyone know where to read about N Carolina troops during Spotsylvania?
    So when I go to 140th Spotsylvania, I can do it right even though I'm in a midst of farbs.

Thanks

Matt,

Forum rules require all members sign their full names to their posts. This is your first warning.

Scott McKay, moderator
    AC Forums
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
    8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
    New England Civil War Museum
    Rockville, Connecticut
    [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Re: NCST during Spotsylvania

You might try the Official Records ( http://www.ehistory.com/uscw/library/or/index.cfm ). Guild Press also has a CD-ROM version that is fairly user friendly.

Also, please include a signature in your future posts - it is one of the few rules we have on the A-C.

Phil Campbell
    Phil Campbell

Comment

Check out Ramseur's Brigade, Parker's 30th, Cox's 2nd, Grimes's 4th, and Bennett's 14th. They were in the thick of it.

Gary Gallagher's book "Stephen Dodson Ramseur, Lee's Gallant General".

The images of the Harris Farm dead wiill also be of use.

I hope this helps,

Mark Berrier
      North State Rifles
      combinations@northstate.net
      Mark Berrier

Comment

"Carrying the Flag" by Gordan Rhea, a new book about a NC regimment in the thick of the fighting, mainly focuses on one man's bravery. Great book!
        Bryan Stefancyk
        [FONT=Book Antiqua][B][SIZE=5][COLOR=DarkRed]Bryan Stefancyk[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by BillyYank
          "Carrying the Flag" by Gordan Rhea, a new book about a NC regimment in the thick of the fighting, mainly focuses on one man's bravery. Great book!
          Bryan Stefancyk

Gents,

Just as a point of clarification, Rhea's new book is not about a NC regiment but rather about Pvt. Charlie Whilden and Orr's Rifles, McGowan's Brigade. The book does give some good history on the various brigades involved in retaking the Mule Shoe but is really focused on McGowan's and the incredible story of an unlikely hero. Just FYI and I agree it is a great read!

Neill Rose
          PLHA

Comment

Also as another point of clarification, the term NCST or State Troops only applied to the first 10 regiments raised by NC in 1861. 8 were of infantry, 1 of cavalry and 1 of artillery, and these were "for the war". The rest were Volunteers and thereafter carried the designation NCT. Hence, the 11th NC was also known as the 1st Regiment NC Vols. and so on.... Good luck.

Rich Croxton
            Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

While it's not specific to North Carolina, the best historical works on the campaign that I know of include:

The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern: May 7-12, 1864" by Gordon Rhea
              To the North Anna River, May 13-26, 1864" by Gordon Rhea
              "If it Takes All Summer: The Spotsylvania Campaign", by William Matter (this one was the definitive history of the campaign until Rhea's books came along)
              "The Spotsylvania Campaign" - a collection of essays edited by Gary Gallagher

Good stuff.

Comment

"Try looking on the far right wing of the confederate army. Most N.C. troops where there."

I beg to differ. "Most" can be elusive.

Specifically to this battle, Ewell's Corps was in the center-left of the salient known as "The Bloody Angle". Ewell's 2nd Corps, Rodes' Division and Ramseur's Division were right in the mule shoe salient. Here is the map...

Mark Berrier
                North State Rifles
                combinations@northstate.net
                Last edited by Enfilade; 05-05-2004, 07:08 PM.
                Mark Berrier

Comment

Following the breakthrough, Gordon ordered Brig Genl. Robert D. Johnston's North Carolina brigade 5th, 12th 20th and 23rd NC into the breach. The tar heels made two charges and were decimated. The attack helped to slow the Federal advance and allowed additional Confederate units to fill the breach and prevent a total disaster.

John Anderson
                  23rd N.C.S.T

Comment

Working...
                  X