Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Overcoat for the Army of Tenessee

Pards,

I am putting together a Confederate impression for the western theater, and am looking for advice as to what overcoat to have made appropriate for the Army of Tennessee. I am currently in a Federal unit, but will be moving south after I retire next year and will likely look for a dual impression unit to link up with.

What do you all recommend for an overcoat?

Douglas Urbanski
    1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
    Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
    William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
    Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
    David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
    Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Welcome to the South.. Simple answer is if a Confederate soldier had an overcoat it was probably a civilian coat. Beauregard's Taylor makes a nice one https://www.facebook.com/Beauregards...8912657510588/. They are kind of expensive as good work usually is. A British import is also a good option. Adolphus covers that well, I'll find the link. The Federal captured coat is viable but I think way over done as like Federals, most Confederates didn't want to carry it around. That said I know being in a Federal unit ( 2nd Wisconsin) I think I should have one in my pack. If you research period pictures a majority of Confederates didn't have a pack. An overcoat is a nice piece of equipment on a cold morning but even though I have one I hardly use it. When I moved to the South ( best thing I ever did) I was a member of the 26th NC. These guy's are the real deal...Great historians. Few had an overcoat.
    Last edited by doc; 01-07-2022, 05:31 AM.
    Joe Coyle

Comment

http://adolphusconfederateuniforms.c...rate-army.html

Here's the link. Welcome to the South when you finally get here. Check out the 26th North Carolina. They do a dual impression 26NC/24th Michigan ( figure's right). The only reason I am not with them now is at my age I can't keep up with hardchargers like that.
      Joe Coyle

Comment

Thanks, Joe. I have read some of Adolphus' articles. He is the guru of Confederate uniforms! In diving into this, the one constant that I want is the most accurate uniform and equipment that I can get within a reasonable price. I checked out Beauregard's Tailor and find his stuff is fantastic. As is Hanning's, W&W, and other campaigner vendors that I have purchased from. I will likely order a coat from B.T. I've narrowed it to four options.....I hate these kinds of decisions!

The 26th NC. Do they have a web site? I like the dual unit concept. I get the best of both worlds. It will be tough uprooting oneself from one's pards and trying to find new ones in a different unit. When I was in the Army, you had to go where Uncle Sugar sent you and you made do and made a few friends as well as a few adversaries. Now I have to hunt for a good fit. If anyone else has a recommendation, I am open to a unit in middle to west Tennessee at least.
        Douglas Urbanski
        1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
        Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
        William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
        Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
        David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
        Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Comment

http://www.26nc.org/. There are some of their members on this site too. Their impression is ANV and AoP. It won't fit your AoT desire but look at their site, things change.
          Last edited by doc; 01-07-2022, 04:29 PM.
          Joe Coyle

Comment

Cold morning at Brawners Farm. I'm the one in front without the coat. It was in my pack. Somehow it was more trouble to get it
            Joe Coyle

Comment

Working...
            X