8th Florida Mississippi Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8th Florida Mississippi Rifle

A while back on Facespace someone mentioned to check the patchbox lid on you Mississippi Rifle for names. I had a stock that came with some furniture that I had picked up on eBay so I looked at it and the name S. C. Whitney was scratched into the inside of the lid. My collector friends said that odds were pretty good that it was a Confederate name. The only hit for the name in the Confederacy was S. C. Whitney of Co. D of the 8th Florida Infantry. I got to looking at it closer and there is an 8 and Regt inscribed into the door also. It's much smaller. The stock had been cut down and the lock and barrel didnt come with it, but the little that I have seen on the Florida bridade had them using 58 caliber rifles. I had seen some posts of guys looking for ordinance returns to the Florida Brigade while I was trying to track down the possibility of the name actually being a possibility. If anyone is interested I'll try to get some pictures of it posted. I'm not sure if the furniture is original to the stock or not, but the gun has seen a ton of use judging by the burnout.

Bobby

What a GREAT find, Bobby. As a Florida Brigade(s) fanatic this only increases my desire to own a Mississippi. Really cool! I'd love to see some pics of it.

Calen Lee Smith
    The Free State of Florida
    Last edited by florida11061; 03-31-2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Calen,

Sorry for the delay. I’ve been a bit swamped. The barrel and lock are stuff I added. The rest of it all came with the stock. It could still be a mixmaster of parts, I have no clue. The stock has been heavily sanded as the gun has seen some major use. I have no idea who made the gun. All I know is it’s not a Harpers Ferry or Tryon due to the markings of what’s there. If you need anything else let me know.

Bobby Clester
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X