question about FHW Fed blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about FHW Fed blanket

I have only seen it on the web. Just wondering how it stood up dimention-wise to the Abe Thomas blanket?

Also any additional suggestions/imput on blankets being reproduced now would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason Asher

Re: question about FHW Fed blanket

Originally posted by Fireyfishstick
    I have only seen it on the web. Just wondering how it stood up dimention-wise to the Abe Thomas blanket?

Also any additional suggestions/imput on blankets being reproduced now would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason Asher
    Edited - Wrong Thread. Sorry

Comment

Jason

Are you asking about the authenticity of these blankets? If so, they are fine.

If you want to compare the original Jones blanket and the original Thomas blanket (or any other original), Dont it is like comparing apples and oranges.

Here is the website that deals with the Jones blanket; http://hometown.aol.com/rmwoodburn/myhomepage/sale.html
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hallo Herr Jason!

Your question is one where the WWW/Internet should be used for the wealth of information it affords at one's finger tips.

For example, a basic search for "Abe Thomas blanket" can produce good results, such as:

Which would likely answer nearly everything one would care to know about the blanket.

Or:

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 05-05-2004, 06:16 PM.
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

First, I want to thank those who took the time to reply. The fact that there are people willing to go out o their way to handle the Q's of complete strangers is the thing which will bring people over to the authentic side of the fence.

Second, I would like to apologize for not being clear as to what I was asking. I want to hear from people who actually own or have seen the FHW blanket, and how it stacks up to the Abe Thomas blanket in the field. Before I left the hobby, I had a Wisconsin vets Wissert blanket, and later bought an Abe Thomas blanket when I made my first attempt to get back in. I found the Abe Thomas I had to be a little thicker than the Wissert, and maybe a little longer. Before I make a decision to buy a FHW blanket, I want to know if it measures up to the Abe Thomas, because if its thinner, I'll spend the extra money. I can't stand being cold at events, and its not worth saving a few bucks to sit up and shiver.

I hope this clears up the question, and thanks again

Jason Asher

Comment

I own one of each. The FHW blanket is lighter weight than the AT. Both are nice, the AT is warmer!
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
            Palmetto Living History Association
            [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
            October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

Originally posted by Fireyfishstick
              First, I want to thank those who took the time to reply. The fact that there are people willing to go out o their way to handle the Q's of complete strangers is the thing which will bring people over to the authentic side of the fence.

Second, I would like to apologize for not being clear as to what I was asking. I want to hear from people who actually own or have seen the FHW blanket, and how it stacks up to the Abe Thomas blanket in the field. Before I left the hobby, I had a Wisconsin vets Wissert blanket, and later bought an Abe Thomas blanket when I made my first attempt to get back in. I found the Abe Thomas I had to be a little thicker than the Wissert, and maybe a little longer. Before I make a decision to buy a FHW blanket, I want to know if it measures up to the Abe Thomas, because if its thinner, I'll spend the extra money. I can't stand being cold at events, and its not worth saving a few bucks to sit up and shiver.

I hope this clears up the question, and thanks again

Jason Asher
              Jason

The FHW, Wissert and Jones blankets are all pretty similar in size and thickness. I dont own any of these three, but I have seen and slept under all three. All three are very authentic, big, and warm.

If you want a thick blanket, you should look into the blanket being produced by Gaede and Childs. It is based off of the only two surviving pre war US blankets in Köpnhavn Dannemark. I have owned one of these for over 10 years, and I have seen the originals, it is a wonderful reproduction. This blanket is the beau ideal of what the US government wanted to issue the troops, but due to wartime demands this was not always possible.

Here is the link to the Childs/Gaede blankets

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Just a passing notion, that the soldier had to "do, make do, or do without" as best he could based upon the quality of what he was issued, his creativity/ingenuity, and field experience (or veteran teachers).

Ideally, on the Federal side of things... the blanket supplemented the greatcoat.

For we Moderns, with the individual luxury of picking and chosing among a number of period correct choices (and outside of a unit or company impression), would lean toward a Daley greatcoat and a Childs/Gaede blanket as the "thickest and heaviest" around.
                Failing that, whichever blanket, supplemented by "period sleeping practices."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
                  It is based off of the only two surviving pre war US blankets in Köpnhavn Dannemark. I have owned one of these for over 10 years, and I have seen the originals, it is a wonderful reproduction. This blanket is the beau ideal of what the US government wanted to issue the troops, but due to wartime demands this was not always possible.

Here is the link to the Childs/Gaede blankets

http://www.crchilds.com/id25.htm
                  I too agree that the M1851 Blanket offered by County Cloth is the absolute best blanket reproduction ever produced. I own two grey 1851 models, one which I use in the field and one at home, and also I have one of CC's brown state issued US blankets, copied from a private collection. These blankets are perfect for any federal scenario. Absolutely amazing. . .
                  Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                  – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
                    I too agree that the M1851 Blanket offered by County Cloth is the absolute best blanket reproduction ever produced. I own two grey 1851 models, one which I use in the field and one at home, and also I have one of CC's brown state issued US blankets, copied from a private collection. These blankets are perfect for any federal scenario. Absolutely amazing. . .

Ryan, it is nice to see I am not the only person using there blankets at home :tounge_sm

The major advantage of the 1851 blanket, is that you can use it for any senario from pre war to early indian war. But like I said, it is more what the government wanted to give the troops and isnt, in some cases, what every soldier would have carried. That said, Im not giving up mine.

Jason

If you really want to stay warm at events, the best bet is to grab 2 pards, throw one blanket on the ground and two blankets over the top of you. You can stay warm at the coldest of events with summer weight blankets by spooning.
                    Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X