Sword Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword Question

Folks, I need your help for a friend of mine in identifying this sword. It has no family ties to him, so there is none of that "it was my great gradpaw Hood's from the "confed-er-a-ci". I personally believe it to be a freemason sword since it has the cross in the crown, but I have a few doubts as it does have many charactoristics of a true civil war sword. To this I mean, a solid brass hilt, true shark skin wrap, and real gold wire wrap. Now I have a few MC Lilley swords that were in my family from the 1880's-19teens and thoes resemble nothing like this.

Anyway, enough of that, if you have information on the sword, I would greatl;y appreciate it if you could post it for all to see.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Matt Caldwell; 07-09-2009, 08:12 PM.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Re: Sword Question

Matt,
    To qualify or disqualify your masonic theory, you might contact The Museum of Our National Heritage in Lexington, Mass. They are the national museum owned by the Masonic Order. I don't have their contact info at my fingertips but can check into it when I get to work (I'm in the museum biz, so I'll check my professional directories if you would like). Someone on their staff may be able to help.
    Mike McBride
    Caught Off Guards
    inplacerest@snet.net

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Caldwell
      Folks, I need your help for a friend of mine in identifying this sword. It has no family ties to him, so there is none of that "it was my great gradpaw Hood's from the "confed-er-a-ci". I personally believe it to be a freemason sword since it has the cross in the crown, but I have a few doubts as it does have many charactoristics of a true civil war sword. To this I mean, a solid brass hilt, true shark skin wrap, and real gold wire wrap. Now I have a few MC Lilley swords that were in my family from the 1880's-19teens and thoes resemble nothing like this.

Anyway, enough of that, if you have information on the sword, I would greatl;y appreciate it if you could post it for all to see.
      Thanks in advance.
      Matt,

The symbols on the sword and scabbord suggest that it belonged to a member of the Knights Templar, a concordinant masonic body.

Jay Johnson

Comment

Whose name is on the blade, it looks like Bent? Is that person a relative and what it that person's connection to the sword? Usually swords are inscribed with the owner's name, both my swords, my NCO and Mameluke have my name on them, my son should he desire to enter the Marine Corps can carry my sword with my name or purchase his own.

Also concerning the reference to Free Masons and Knights Templar, I just found a link on Indiana Free Masons stating that all Knights Templar are Free Masons, but not all Free Masons are Knights.

Not knowing much about the Masons, do they have records to search for membership?

YOS,

DJM
        Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
        (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by marine05
          Whose name is on the blade, it looks like Bent? Is that person a relative and what it that person's connection to the sword? Usually swords are inscribed with the owner's name, both my swords, my NCO and Mameluke have my name on them, my son should he desire to enter the Marine Corps can carry my sword with my name or purchase his own.

Also concerning the reference to Free Masons and Knights Templar, I just found a link on Indiana Free Masons stating that all Knights Templar are Free Masons, but not all Free Masons are Knights.

Not knowing much about the Masons, do they have records to search for membership?

YOS,

DJM
          Dan,

Just to expand on the masonic reference - You must first be a master mason in a blue lodge before you join concordinant bodies like the Knights Templar, Scottish Rite, York Rite, Shrine, etc, etc. Hence the reference that all Knights are masons, but not all masons are knights.

If you have any questions about masonry, e-mail me, and I will do my best to answer them for you.

I do think if you could contact a member in the area, they could probably point you to the right person that could help with accessing membership records.

Jay Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by CavLt
            Dan,

Just to expand on the masonic reference - You must first be a master mason in a blue lodge before you join concordinant bodies like the Knights Templar, Scottish Rite, York Rite, Shrine, etc, etc. Hence the reference that all Knights are masons, but not all masons are knights.

If you have any questions about masonry, e-mail me, and I will do my best to answer them for you.

I do think if you could contact a member in the area, they could probably point you to the right person that could help with accessing membership records.

Jay Johnson
            Jay,

Thanks for the information. I have known quite a few people that were members, and know that many of our forefathers were members.

Thanks again,

Dan
            Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
            (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

The markings on the sword are definately Knights Templar markings, as apply to Masons of the York Rite. A local Masonic lodge was on a tour of historic buildings here in Knoxville this weekend, and I saw many items with identical markings (i.e. the cross and crown motif) in a disply case there.

BTW, there are other Templars that are not Masonic. They use similar, but not identical symbols. I am a member of such an order.

Scott Fugate
              WIG

Comment

Working...
              X