Confederate Shotgun Rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Shotgun Rounds

I am looking for information on arsenal/laboratory produced CS shotgun rounds. If they existed, how were they packaged/marked? I know there were 12 gauge "slug-type" rounds and of course buckshot, but were they seperately loaded components in the field? It would seem a field expedient method would be to use a .69 cal. buck and ball round in a 10 or 12 gauge, but I cannot find any references in the primary sources. Any help/information would be most appreciated. Thanking you all in advance...

Re: Confederate Shotgun Rounds

Greetings,

From a secondary resource comes the following:

As to packaging, on page 71 of "A Handbook of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by James E. and Dean S. Thomas there is a wrapper marked as follows:

Ten
    Shot Gun Cartridges
    Augusta Arsenal

Each line of this text is centered and there appears to set in a double line border that runs close to the edge.

As to the contents of such a wrapper, I didn't spot anything specifically labeled as shotgun ammunition in this book. It does show on pg. 50 what is identified as two .69 buckshot cartridges. One with 12 .31 cal. buckshot made at Columbus (GA) Ordnance Depot and one with 15 .31 cal. buckshot made at Augusta Arsenal.

Take Care,
    Kevin Bender
    The Cumberland Valley of PA
    Kevin Bender
    The Cumberland Valley, PA

Comment

CS shotgun slug

Here is a 12 ga. CS shotgun slug found at Cold Harbor. Shotgun loads also came in buck shot. Don't know about single round ball cartridges.
      Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Re: CS shotgun slug

Originally posted by Jimmayo
        Here is a 12 ga. CS shotgun slug found at Cold Harbor. Shotgun loads also came in buck shot. Don't know about single round ball cartridges.
        I recall that these were also used in .69 cal smoothbores. Some were found in the area occupied by Henry Heth's division during the Gettysburg campaign. I also seem to remember something to the effect that North Carolina issued large quantities of this type of round. Does anybody know anything else about this? And if so, during what time period would these have been produced?
        Thomas N. Rachal

Comment

Re: Confederate Shotgun Rounds

Thank you all for the information. I'll try and get a copy of the Thomas book. If there is a photo of the packaging, that's exactly what I need.

Comment

Working...
          X