Review of the Pedersoli Lorenz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of the Pedersoli Lorenz

I've been hoping for a Austrian Lorenz reproduction for 30 years. Here are my first thoughts on the Pedersoli Lorenz that I received today.

A quick review of the new Pedersoli Model 1854 Austrian Lorenz rifle musket. This is a quick unboxing and first impressions. I hope to have later videos on...

Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-06-2019, 12:25 PM.
    Mark Hubbs
    My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Re: Review of the Pedersoli Lorenz

Mark

That is a very interesting overview. I am not surprised (per se) with screws instead of rivets on the swivels but I am a bit disappointed with the front sight. No bayonet is not going to fit without reaming it out quite a bit. A couple questions:

1. Does the lock geometry feature the same long throw of the hammer to the cone as the original Austrian Lorenz? The Pedersoli P53 Enfield has a decidedly shorter throw than both originals and other reproductions with full cock being about where half cock usually sits. At least that's how mine is.

2. Is the overall weight close to the original? The stock appears (to my eye) to be bit thicker in dimension and obviously when you put a micrometer to the barrel, it is quite a bit thicker as well. That usually translates to a heavier overall weight with most other Civil War reproductions. One of the great things about the original Lorenz was its comparative lightness and overall "handiness" being slightly shorter in overall length, etc.

3. I am not sure what can be done about the appearance of the walnut stock vs the beech wood used on originals. The Pedersoli factory gunstock finish has the appearance and dull gloss of book cabinet furniture, and benefits greatly from striping and refinishing with boiled linseed oil. I know beechwood can be stained to look more like walnut (at least in coloration) but I am not sure walnut can be stained to look like beechwood? For one thing walnut is grainy compared to beech.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Craig! Great to hear from you!

First: Yes! The front site may be an unrecoverable issue for some. The piece must be able to accommodate an original bayonet.

1) I share your criticism of repro muskets in this area, generally. On the flip side, my original has an exceptionally low half-cock. It just clears the cone. My guess is that the Pedersoli version is higher... which is probably good for hobbyists and casual BP shooters.

2) On weight: My original is heavier than my Belgian 69 cal. Would be interested to compare weight.

3) On walnut: This is the silliest miss, I think. I'm sure there are examples out there of originals with a walnut stock, but I've never seen one.

If they can correct the front site issue so it can fit an original bayonet, I think it may be a very good option. It certainly looks more like a Lorenz than the '61's look like '61's. The '42 is still the benchmark in this department, though (my opinion).
      [Don't get me started on that "other Lorenz repro"]
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thank you sir, I'm planning to buy one this year.
        Kim Stewart

Comment

If I may ask, what reproduction Bayonet would be suitable for adapting to the Pedersoli Lorenze? Pardon my ignorance.
          Kim Stewart

Comment

Kim, as far as I am aware there isn't any reproduction Lorenz bayonet on the market. Even if there was the likelyhood of it being a suitable is pretty slim.
            I would highly recommend picking up an original.
            Check out Gunderson Militaria. They usually have a pretty darn good selection and are great to deal with.
            Serving collectors for over 20 years with quality, original merchandise from the American Revolution to World War II
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Sorry for the tardy reply to some of the questions.

Hammer throw. The hammer can be pulled back as far as the original, but the full cock notch appears to be closer to the nipple. The half cock leaves plenty of room to cap the gun. The big differnce is in the weight of the hammer spring and the trigger pull. The spring is vastly lighter than the original and the fly on the tumbler allows for a precision release of the trigger. As far as live fire is concerned, this gun is much better than the orignal or any other out of the box reproduction that I have handled.

Weight - I have not weighed them, but I the repro seems a bit heavier. Not significantly, but a bit heavier.

Many of the original beech stocks I have seen appear to have been stained dark. So, I don't think this will stand out too bad. But, up close it is clearly walnut. The thick finish not only looks incorrect, but will scratch easily.

I don't do living history much anymore. At 61 years old, I don't make a convincing skinny 19 year old any more. So, mine will mostly be used for NSSA and casual shooting. If I was still reenacting, I would strip the stock and remove the barrel markings.

Bayonets. The first step in fitting any bayonet will be to remove the tiny shoulders on the dovetail front sight to match the contures of the barrel. That is easy enough. Loyalist Arms sells a repro bayonet and scabbard for their indian made Lorenz for $78. Since the Indian gun is .62, I suspect it will have plenty of room to fit the pedersoli and may even require a shim. Here is the link: http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/1854LORENZ.htm

Mark Hubbs
              Mark Hubbs
              My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you sir.
                Kim Stewart

Comment

Despite the Pedersoli Lorenz looking really nice it's still sooo pricey. What I'm glad to see in the review though is that the Lorenz does include some markings on the lock which were not visible in some of the original marketing images of the rifle on their site. I'm curious if David at Lodgewood will eventually offer a defarbing service for these muskets as well when more people begin to own them or if they drop in price over the years.
                  Harry Cullman

Comment

Re: "The spring is vastly lighter than the original and the fly on the tumbler allows for a precision release of the trigger."

The Lorenz (and seemingly all rifles and muskets with a side plate between the lock plate screws) had a hook type lock, with the mainspring resting right on the tumbler. Are you saying the Pedersoli reproduction lock uses a tumbler link?
                    Craig L Barry
                    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Yesterday a friend who bought a Pedersoli Lorenz brought it over along with the Loyalist Arms bayonet made for their Lorenz. Aside from the bayonet's socket's larger girth due to Loyalist's Lorenz reproduction barrel being larger, there's no way to fit it over the front sight of the Pedersoli both for height and the fact there is a flat spot on the barrel for a sight base. It looks like the front sight is made to be changed by tapping it into place on the barrel, not soldering it. And the length of the Perdersoli barrel beyond the most forward barrel band is different, making the Loyalist bayonet socket extend a bit beyond the end of the barrel. We both saw the issues as essentially unfixable, so he's sending the bayonet back to Loyalist Arms. But now he has a $1700 reproduction Lorenz which is correct for our home unit's impression of the 6th Texas Infantry, but no bayonet for stacking arms.
                      Phil McBride
                      Author:
                      Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                      Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                      Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                      Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                      Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                      Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

"Close, but, as yet, no see-gar"

For our hobby, the things have to function beyond the "pew! pew!"

Keep tryin', Pedersoli! You're so close!
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

In October of 2020 I bought a Pedersoli M1854 Lorenz rifle musket from Regimental Quartermaster. It has a French Delvigne breech chamber. Does anyone else have the same thing with their Pedersoli Lorenz?
                          Michael Fraering

Comment

Working...
                          X