Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproofing

Greetings,

In all the excitement, I almost forgot. For what's it worth,"The Boot and Shoe Manufacturers' Assistant and Guide" (Wm. H. Richardson, Boston, Higgins, Bradley & Dayton, 1858, xxv, 345 pps., illus.) does carry a detailed recipe "To Render Canvas Waterproof" on pages 341-342. The formula is too long to put here but it incorporated, among other things, linseed oil and rosin as well as 2 quarts of "India-rubber dissolved in turpentine." The finished mixture was to be heated to 160 degrees Fahrenheit and then brushed on the canvas in two coats. Once dried, the mixture allegedly made a waterproof (although probably flammable) surface.

The "...Assistant and Guide" also carries several recipes for "Japanning (glazing)," waterproofing, and varnishing cloth and leather surfaces.

I haven't yet read Mike Woshner's book about India-rubber and gutta-percha in the Civil War era; however, he might have consulted the "...Assistant and Guide" while writing it. I'm lucky than most folks since the Purdue University Krannert School of Business has a first edition of this work and I can see it anytime I want.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger
Working...
X