Leather Canteen Sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Canteen Sling

Here is an image from the L.O.C. of a U.S.C.T. soldier at City Point VA in 1864, with what appears to me to be a leather canteen sling.
    Attached Files
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Re: Leather Canteen Sling

A few of his chums appear to be wearing army shirts.
    Attached Files
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
      Here is an image from the L.O.C. of a U.S.C.T. soldier at City Point VA in 1864, with what appears to me to be a leather canteen sling.
      Well I believe the Army issued those items.... :sarcastic

I believe the shirts are a little too billowing to conform to the M1851 pattern shirt we know, but who can say?!
      Attached Files
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
        Well I believe the Army issued those items.... :sarcastic

Who said they didnt. Its just an interesting image.

The big fellow on the far right of the image is IMO is wearing an army shirt, and the others I feel may be as well. I do see your point on the sleeves, but it is impossible to say for certain.
        Robert Johnson

Comment

Who said they didnt. Its just an interesting image.

That was a parvenu attempt at humor, lost on the lesser-versed in human sarcasm. :wink_smil

It is a cool image, seems like a ton of images were taken in and around City Point in '64-'65.
          Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 05-11-2004, 03:55 PM.
          Ryan B.Weddle

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."

Comment

That was a parvenu attempt at humor, lost on the lesser-versed in human sarcasm. :wink_smil

It is a cool image, seems like a ton of images were taken in and around City Point in '64-'65.
            The "New York Wit" is often lost on us "Barbary Coast Ruffs". :tounge_sm

The question I am working over in my mind are; Are they USCT being used as labor, or are they Black civilans wearing cast off uniform pieces? It is impossible to say for certain one way or the other, but it is interesting to think about.
            Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 05-12-2004, 01:16 AM.
            Robert Johnson

Comment

The "New York Wit" is often lost on us Barbary Coast Ruffs. :tounge_sm

The question I am working over in my mind are; Are they USCT being used as labor, or are they Black civilans wearing cast off uniform pieces? It is impossible to say for certain one way or the other, but it is interesting to think about.
              :)

I think if you look at the majority of these Crown Point photos you'll see both USCT and laborers.
              Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

:)

I think if you look at the majority of these Crown Point photos you'll see both USCT and laborers.
                Key word is BOTH.
                Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X