Pioneer Brigade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer Brigade questions

My messmates and I are wanting to do a pioneer impression and we are having a little trouble in finding out solid documentation on their insignia. In Troiani's latest book, he shows a picture of a pioneer w/ an arm band that has yellow crossed axes on the sleeve. Lord's encyclopedia has a description of the arm band that states thet the axes should be of the same color and material as the edge of the collar. Pat Brown's sack coat book has a picture of a pioneer wearing two crossed picks on each arm.

We would just like some solid evidence of a good insignia that would be appropriate for an Army of the Cumberlasd impression. I know that the painting that Troiani is supposed to be an AOC soldier, but the yellow axes just seem odd to me. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this subject. Also, any books on websites that could be suggested would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: Pioneer Brigade questions

Originally posted by adamandnicole
    My messmates and I are wanting to do a pioneer impression and we are having a little trouble in finding out solid documentation on their insignia. In Troiani's latest book, he shows a picture of a pioneer w/ an arm band that has yellow crossed axes on the sleeve. Lord's encyclopedia has a description of the arm band that states thet the axes should be of the same color and material as the edge of the collar. Pat Brown's sack coat book has a picture of a pioneer wearing two crossed picks on each arm.

We would just like some solid evidence of a good insignia that would be appropriate for an Army of the Cumberlasd impression. I know that the painting that Troiani is supposed to be an AOC soldier, but the yellow axes just seem odd to me. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this subject. Also, any books on websites that could be suggested would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam Dickerson
    Adam,
    IMHO, ya'll could pull-off a perfectly respectable and mid-to-late war PEC western federal pioneer impression w/standard issue sack-coats devoid of any distinctive insignia except for the yellow cloth 3 1/2" crossed axes insignia specified in the US Army Regulations of 1851 and worn on the left arm where NCO chevrons were sewn. You could probably make them yourselves quite simply. Remember, these guys were garden-variety infantry types detached for this special duty, and expected to defend themselves so you'll still need all your infantry stuff with you in the field. The long pole in the tent may well be acquiring sufficient quantities of authentic tools (picks, mattocks, spades, axes, etc.) and their leather accouterments.

Good luck with it. Again, in my opinion, good, documentable, specialty impressions at the right times and places add a nice touch and help advance the hobby. :wink_smil

Cordially,

Comment

Hi,

Hmm, I'm not sure you need to wear anything since pioneer troops are known to have been detailed from infantry units.

I recently examined the wartime diary of Private Garret Larew, who initially enlisted in the 86th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. However, he was subsequently farmed out to an Army of the Cumberland pioneer unit in early 1863 and spent the remainder of his enlistment there although he was also apparently kept on the books of his old regiment as well! A surviving photograph of Larew, made in May 1863, shows him decked out in a standard sack coat, wearing a folded-down army hat, with issue trousers. I can't remember him mentioning either wearing or being issued a pioneer device in his diary, which covers his three years in service.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Adam,

Shoot me an email at ryanweddle@nyc.rr.com and I might be able to help you out in a small way to decipher the text of Troiani's book...

For all, here is a photo where I have blown up the individual wearing his pioneer insig. From:

LoC
        TITLE: [Fort Burnham, Va. Encampment and earthworks]
        CALL NUMBER: LC-B811- 2498
        Attached Files
        Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Are those end peices on the dog tents or are they some other type of tent? :confused_

Comment

gentlemen :
            i don't think this could have come at a more perfect time . a friend recently approached me about forming a unit of these soldiers. what it will be is a venture crew in boy scouts specializing in the "old " boy scout skills that are no longer required in boy scouts.If anyone has any more info about this I would appreciate it .
            Very Respectfully,
            Robert Young

Comment

I used to own a 9th plate tintype in a case of a soldier wearing a fatigue blouse with crossed axe on the sleeve. It came out of an antique store in Illinois. Unfortunately, I sold it about 10 years ago without making a copy of it. Probably not every Pioneer Brigade member wore these, but some certainly did.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott,
                Did the axes appear to be sewn directly on to the sleeve, or on an arm band?

Thanks,

Adam Dickerson
                Adam Dickerson

Comment

You might try these folks, they're AoP, but they should have some good opinions.

1st New York Volunteer Engineer website http://www.history-buff.org/1ny.htm
                  Jack Booda

Comment

Working...
                  X