Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eley Cap Tins

Gents-
    We see these Eley cap tins all over. We see them for sale on line, at gun shows and at antique stores. Its common knowledge that these tins were brought over from England by both sides in large quantities during the war and by the republic well before the war. The question I have not been able to answer is the following. I have seen large numbers of tins marked "Eley London" and others marked "Eley Bros London". Despite researching on line and here as well I have been unable to determine which of these tins are pre CW, CW or post CW period. Does anyone know of a source that is definitive on this matter?
    Attached Files
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Re: Eley Cap Tins

Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume 2 (2016) has a chapter on Eley Bros (p 224-233). There is quite a bit of material in there on the history of the firm as they were one of the largest suppliers to the Confederate war effort. I don't think it addresses your question specifically, though. Tins of percussion caps dated to the early 1860s from Eley Bros are found marked both ways.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
    X