Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick-Time Challenge

-- Quick-Time Challenge --

I’d like to challenge infantry reenactors to at least try to do some walking using the proper Quick Time. I think this is something simple we can practice which will disproportionately improve our impressions, not only as individuals but in any infantry formation.

Quick Time is easily twice as fast as the typical "reenactor mosey"; it is a very fast walk, and you may initially find it to be tiring. You may even need to work up to the slower Common Time!
    You can incorporate this into your exercise routine, or even when walking around the office or grocery shopping! However, I would not recommend it be practiced on romantic, moonlit beach-walks; your partner will likely not be enthused.

These are the steps practiced in reenacting:
    1) the reenactor mosey: slow, lacking confidence, morale-boosting for the enemy
    2) Common Time: a 28-inch step x 90 steps per minute
    3) Quick Time: a 28-inch step x 110 steps per minute
    4) Double-Quick Time: a 33-inch step x 165 steps per minute
    5) the Run: keeping the formation "as united as possible, without... exacting much regularity... to reach a given point with great promptitude"

To get into the habit of using proper step:
    1) Check your step length. Get a yardstick or tape measure, measure out the proper step length (reckoning from heel to heel), and then practice taking steps of that length. This will be awkward at first.
    2) When you feel you can reliably take a step of the proper length, try walking around while maintaining the proper step length, but don't worry about the rate.
    3) Test following the correct rate of steps using a stopwatch or timer, without worrying about the step length. For Quick Time, you can approximate this as "attempting 2 steps per second".
    4) Finally, incorporate both the correct step length and the correct rate of step.

As you become more confident, try throwing in some other commands to test your ability to give and execute commands with the proper timing. Throw in the occasional "To the - STEP".
    For most people, a full 28-inch step will require full extension of the leg and leaning into the step. Unsurprisingly, this is precisely how it is described in the manuals. For the sake of your knees, I would recommend that you exercise these steps on a soft surface; grass, turf, etc.

One of the cornerstones of linear formations is uniformity in step length and rate. The more one studies correct drill, the more apparent this becomes. Even "well-drilled" reenactor formations are prone to parts of the line leading and lagging. With practice, we can help solve these issues and project a professionalism which would make our subjects of study proud.

Some basics stats on these steps:
    Common Time:
    70 yards in a minute
    A 25-minute and 9-second mile
    Quick Time:
    85.56 yards in a minute; or 85 yards, 1 foot, and 8 inches
    A 20-minute and 34-second mile
    Double-Quick Time:
    151.25 yards in a minute; or 151 yards, and 9 inches
    An 11-minute and 38-second mile

Miscellanea:
    1) It appears to be a reenacting myth that Hardee invented Quick Time for his Rifle and Light Infantry Tactics; you can find it in Scott's 1830 Abstract (albeit with a rate of 120 steps per minute), and his 1835 manual (with the standard rate of 110 steps per minute). I wouldn't be surprised if it was in earlier European manuals as well. All of the manuals state that once the men become proficient in marching that the default will be Quick Time.
    2) The men automatically bring their weapons to right-shoulder shift at the preparatory command "Double Quick - "; not at the execution command. As the formation begins to march in Double-Quick Time, the interval between ranks is extended to 26 inches by the rear rank shortening the first step. Double-Quick Time can also be at a rate of 180 steps per minute.
    3) On long-distance marches in Double-Quick Time or the Run, the men may carry their arms at will. The commanding officer should probably inform them of this at the beginning of such an effort.
    4) Route Step maintains the current velocity, but the men are allowed to increase their intervals from 13 inches to 28 inches, from their chest to the knapsack or back of the man in front of them. This facilitates easier passage over rough terrain. Arms at Will is implicitly bundled with Route Step, and need not be explicitly commanded. The men retake their normal intervals and arms positions when commanded to Close Order.
    5) When marching in Common or Quick Time with arms on the right shoulder, the interval between ranks is extended to 16 inches, rather than the normal 13.
    5) I would be interested to see if anyone had any evidence that the steps taught in the Schools of the Soldier were not used, and under what considerations or circumstances.
    6) I would estimate from experience the typical reenactor mosey to be approximately an 18-inch step x 90 steps per minute, or less.
    7) A good thread in this same vein started by Tyler Underwood: https://www.authentic-campaigner.com...5Kgd45nLU6nKmo
    Last edited by StonewallSharpeson; 06-18-2020, 06:19 PM.
    Will Thoms

Re: Quick-Time Challenge

It would be facinating just to see my pace to begin with, I dang near power walk everywhere I go at a faster pace than most people. I'm gonna check out this idea of yours.

At work where it's required to stand a ton, I already stand in the "ready" stance or at a parade rest foot positions to accustom myself to that. So I'm gonna measure up my steps and pace and quick time at work!
    Kyle Turner

Comment

I love the Idea! I have been doing something similar to what you suggest above to accustom my self to the march. I believe the hardest thing to get use to was extending the leg straight and depressing the tow but in the end it helps the keep a steadier pace especially in double quick time.

I have been trying to get my unit to walk at the same rate (I don't care what rate it is as long as it is the same all along the line) form some time now. ;)
      I am going to send the link for this around.

Thanks for posting!

Regards,

Karl
      Karl Jacob

Comment

A period way to get in shape?! Fantastic!

Thanks for posting, and it will also help people get the "feel" for the actual pacing if followed.
        Ivan Ingraham
        AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
        X