My latest “find”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest “find”

Been out of it a while due to the death of my father, mine and my wife’s health, change of job, etc but would like to share this.

My 3rd great Wilkinson grandfather, Micajah, was born in 1823, and though “old” at the outbreak of the war, served in Quinn’s State Troops, just north of Vicksburg. When Quinn’s disbanded, he joined Powers’ Cavalry Regiment, and served the remainder of the war, even though he had a release from service from the Mississippi governor due to age and being a preacher. One of his sons, George Franklin (my great great grandfather) had 8 children. His oldest daughter married, and moved to the Shreveport area around 1910, as her husband got a job with the railroad. George’s 3rd daughter is my great grandmother and who instilled my love of family history in me.

As with all families that spread apart, contact is lost, cousins no longer know each other etc.

Two weeks ago, while researching Bertha’s line again (the aunt that moved to Shreveport) I found her grandsons obit, which gave a daughter name. I quick google and Facebook search, I got a hit, so I sent a message. A day or so later I get a reply. She had heard her family was from a Mississippi, but knew nothing of it. So I sent her close to 40 family photos, (of her 2nd & 3rd great grandparents - the above Micajah, and her 4th great grandfather)!photos of bible records. We have been in constant contact, and Tuesday I was passing thru Atlanta, where she lives, so stopped by to meet her in person.
    After a few minutes, she hands me a bag, that contained this. It is an April 1863 manufactured (sn 200xx) Remington New Model Army, in a Confederate manufactured holster. Carved in bottom of a grip is MW for Micajah Wilkinson. After a few minutes of talking, she says, “Take it back to Mississippi with you”

I like to have dropped it I was shaking so bad. Seems her son has no care for it, and she wants it to stay in the family. My daughters were with me, and they were told the same, in front of her, if they decide they don’t want it, it is to be given to a family member that cares. (All 3 of my daughters are sentimental)

Would like to find someone who has access to Frank Mallory’s work as he is now deceased, and see if there is any records of unit issued etc, so I can try to figure when it may have been captured

The story of the pistol, his service records and all will be added.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7AAC7A2D-DA27-4F52-B289-D3DD94E1D153.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	233154Click image for larger version

Name:	C54E72AA-897A-44B6-9462-E234337477CD.jpeg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	233155Click image for larger version

Name:	9253D4CE-43F9-420D-A097-7DE89F0A28A7.jpeg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	233156Click image for larger version

Name:	5E74792B-BE0A-4453-8603-FE3389EB9D86.jpeg
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	233157
    Virgil Roberts

Re: My latest “find”

That's great!!!
    Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Working...
    X