Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal Non-Regulation Hats: Civilian or Issued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Non-Regulation Hats: Civilian or Issued?

If this topic has already been discussed, feel free to point me in the right direction. When examining original photos, one will quickly notice the prevalence of non-regulation "civilian" style felt hats worn by men in the field especially in the western theater of operations. While outnumbered overall by both the regulation forage cap and dress hat, the widespread usage of "civilian" hats raises the question if they are indeed a civilian item or perhaps issued? With the myriad of US contractors producing every piece of gear and article of clothing under the sun, are all of the non-regulations hats observed simply privately purchased/sent from home or could it be that at least a portion of them were part of a government contract?
    Daniel Duke

Re: Federal Non-Regulation Hats: Civilian or Issued?

The majority were private purchase items. But if you look closely at several period photos, you'll notice that a number of the "civilian" type hats are in fact field altered Hardee hats. However, unless they were an odd state issue, early war item, civilian pattern hats were privately purchased. If I'm wrong, I'm certain someone who has more knowledge then me will make corrections.
    Kirk Womack Jr

Comment

Working...
    X