Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Ordnance Contractors

Gents,

Over the last several weeks, I've been pouring over a box of SC Ordnance Dept. records at the SC Department of Archives & History and wanted to share some findings. My attempt has been to make a detailed list of ordnance contractors/suppliers to the SC gov't during various times of the war. While some of the information has been rather bland, there have been some really interesting finds. Most notable are the returns for ordnance stores for the various arsenals in SC just after secession ie. what was taken over from the Federal Gov't. These have provided a real snapshot of what SC troops would have had available to them during the early stages of the conflict. Likewise, there are returns and tabulations for the various arsenals (Charleston, Citadel, Columbia) during several years with 1864 really standing out.

Below is a general list of some suppliers, a contractual letter to the Ord Dept., and a listing of AM McKensie goods sold to the dept. I have focused on those contractors who were making infantry accoutrements &/or cavalry accoutrements.

1) Contractors/Suppliers:
    AM McKensie, Charleston
    J&TS Heffron, Charleston
    Graveley & Pringle, Charleston
    Cheraw Tannery (F. Lynch, owner),Cheraw
    M. Bolger & Co., Charleston
    Love & Wienges, Charleston
    Hopson & Sutphen, Columbia (largest supplier to Columbia Arsenal)
    E. Meister-Columbia (knapsacks only)

2) Letter from Mr. F. Lynch, owner of the Cheraw Tannery to Col. Edward Manigault, Ord. Officer, regarding infantry accoutrements. Note that some form of pattern was provided.

"Cheraw Tannery
    Feb'y 12, 1861
    Col. Edward Manigault
    Ordnance Office
    Charleston, SC

Dear Sir,

I beg respectfully proposing to furnish for Infantry Soldiers two thousand sets of accoutrements consisting of Catridge box, black leather tin frame for 40 rounds, Cartridge box belt black leather, bayonet scabbard tipped with brass, waist Belt black leather with buckle & Cap Pouch for four 75/100 per set.

The whole to be of good material and well manufactured in conformity with pattern furnished. Deliverable in parcels of 200 sets in Charleston.

I am very Respectfully,
    Your Obt Svt
    F. Lynch"

**back of document is written "Accepted"

3) This next document really raised my interest. A.M. McKensie was a large Charleston supplier of accoutrements to the state of SC and possibly to Richmond in some degree. See www.oldsouthantiques.com to view a .69 cal. box attributed to an Alabama ANV soldier; look under "Past Items". This listing shows, for one month, what McKensie sold and delivered (including prices) to the Ordnance Office at the Citadel.

"Ordnance Department South Carolina
    Del. at Citadel
    To AM McKensie & Co.

May 6: 276 bayonet scabbards with brass tips-$276.00
    153 bayonet scabbards no tips-$143.44
    100 cap pouches-$100.00
    45 sets of blanket straps-$8.43

May 10: 500 large "SC" plates (belt)-$75
    325 small "SC" plates (belt)-$40.62

May 12: 272 cartridge boxes-$544.00
    388 bayonet scabbards-$388.00
    700 pouches-$525.00
    42 waistbelts-$31.50

May 13: 204 waistbelts-$153.00
    71 bayonet scabbards-$71.00
    9 infantry cartridge boxes-$18.00
    4 rifle cartridge boxes-$8.00

May 17: 100 bayonet scabbards-$100
    200 waistbelts-$150
    33 shoulder straps-$33.00
    18 rifle cartridge boxes-$36.00
    33 infantry cartridge boxes-$66

May 19: 68 bayonet scabbards-$68.00
    100 waistbelts-$75.00
    350 cartridge box belts-$350.00

May 22: 300 shoulder belts-$300.00
    216 bayonet scabbards-$216.00
    25 infantry cartridge boxes-$50.00

May 23: 100 cartrige box belts-$100.00
    36 bayonet scabbards-$36.00
    May 26: 88 waistbelts-$66.00

$4029.49 (this includes some shipping charges noted in document)

2d September 1861
    Received Payment,
    Arch. McKensie"

I didn't include the prices per article which was included in the original document but will give the general breakdown here:

Large SC beltplates-.15 each
    Small SC beltplates-.12 each
    cartridge boxes (infantry & rifle)-$2 each
    bayonet scabbards w/brass tips-$1 each
    bayonet scabbards w/o tip-.94 each
    cap pouches-$1 each
    shoulder belts for cart boxes-$1 each
    waistbelts.75 each
    blanket straps per set-.19 each

I hope some of you will find this information of interest. There are several other extant McKensie items floating around on the collectors market these days and usually fetch a very high price due to the items being marked with the "McKensie" stamp. I'll post more information as time allows.

Neill Rose
    Palmetto Living History Association

Re: SC Ordnance Contractors

Thanks for posting this Brother Rose.

Q#1= Have you come across "out of state" contractors for any of the materials or have they been specifically all South Carolinians?

Q#2= And while looking over these said documents is there any references of a shortage of weapons in 1861?

Q#3= And is there any references to "Long Rifles" or "54 caliber rifles" in early spring of '61 or up until late Fall of '61?

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brother Berrier

Mark Berrier
    North State Rifles
    combinations@northstate.net
    Mark Berrier

Comment

Mark,

Good questions! As to the first, yes, there are documents relating to SC purchasing &/or attempting to purchase arms outside of the state. There are no references to equipments/accoutrements being bought out of state though. As to the arms, there is one series of letters relating to the state arranging to purchase 200 Smith carbines from a firm in Baltimore, MD. Likewise, there was an attempted purchase of Enfield rifles from a company in Petersburg, Va., but the deal fell through as they were inadvertently sold to the Mexican government! There were other purchases from Tredegar Iron Works for gun equipments, etc. too. One of the neat things about all these records is that much of the correspondence is on the firms' letterhead including Tredegar's.

As to the second question, while the state arsenals showed many various arms, many were condemned as needing repair or were woefully outdated. That being said, yes, there was a definate shortage of serviceable weapons hence SC's search elsewhere and ultimately overseas. Many of the arms are listed as "flint and steel" ie. still flintlock. There's also interesting arms like Maynard rifles, Yaeger (sometimes written as Jaeger) rifles, Cadet rifles, Hall rifles, etc. While sometimes noted as "rifles", most of these were still smoothbore and flintlock. I do remember some of these weapons were .54 cal like the "State" ie. Palmetto muskets but I'll have to check on that. Up to this point, my focus has been on the equipment/accoutrement contractors. Transcribing the arms reports will be quite a task but that's my next undertaking. Thanks again for the questions; interesting stuff indeed!

Neill Rose
      Palmetto Living History Association

Comment

Thanks Neill!

Obviously there was a lack of serviceable weaponry available to Southern troops off to war for the new country. In an effort to arm and equip them, did you come across any references to making weapons "military" as opposed to "rifling" or some other typology? Be on the lookout for that if you can. I'll talk to you later about it when I see you next.

Thanks again.

Mark Berrier
        North State Rifles
        combinations@northstate.net
        Mark Berrier

Comment

Greetings,

These extracts from the Jackson MS "Weekly Mississippian" may be of interest:

‎9 January 1861‎:

GENERAL HEADQUARTERS.‎

STATE OF MISSISSIPPI.‎

ADJUTANT GENERAL'S OFFICE,‎
          Jackson, Dec. 24th 1860.‎

THE following official intelligence upon the subject of arms, is hereby communicated for the ‎information of the numerous Volunteer Companies, organized since July 1st, 1860; and also ‎those now being organized throughout the State.‎
          The impossibility of procuring the "Mississippi Rifle," (as it is termed,) with saber ‎bayonet; necessitates a resort to the U. S. altered, percussion Musket.‎
          Arrangements have been made with the War Department, for the purchase of five ‎thousand stand of these arms, now stored at the Baton Rouge Arsenal. Said arms have been ‎examined and proved satisfactory, and will be delivered here, on or about the 1st of January ‎‎1861;--when they will be distributed to those companies having previously filed the requisite ‎bonds in this office.‎
          Captains wishing to be applied immediately would do well to call at the office, on the ‎arrival of the arms.‎
          In relation to the Companies organized prior to the 1st of July, 1860, other arrangements ‎are being made, and should said arrangements be perfected soon, the Captains commanding, will ‎be officially notified as to what will have been done.‎
          W. L. SYKES,‎
          Adjutant General.

Dec 28 '60--tf.‎

30 October 1861: ‎
          PROCLAMATION.‎

WHEREAS, General A. S. Johnston, under authority of the President of the Confederate ‎States of America, has called on the State of Mississippi to furnish TEN ‎THOUSAND (10,000) men for the defense of the Mississippi River, and the States ‎included in Military Department No. 2:‎
          Volunteers will be received by Companies, Battalions or Regiments, for twelve ‎months, or a longer period of time. Volunteers are requested to bring with them every effective ‎weapon that can be obtained in their neighborhoods. These arms will be replaced in the hands of ‎the troops by uniform arms at the shortest practicable period.‎
          The places of rendezvous will be Natchez, Vicksburg and Grenada; at each of ‎these places officers will be in readiness to muster into service companies, battalions or ‎regiments as soon as organized, for the war, or for twelve months, as they may decide to serve.‎
          At these designated places provisions will be made for supplies, and the ‎instruction of the troops will be prosecuted until they can be armed and prepared to move on the ‎frontier.‎
          Therefore, I, John J. Pettus, Governor of the State of Mississippi, by virtue of ‎authority vested in me by law, do hereby proclaim that Volunteers for the service are desired, and ‎will be accepted as above specified.‎
          Given under my hand and the Great Seal of the State affixed at the City of ‎Jackson, this the 28th day of September, A. D. 1861.‎
          JOHN J. PETTUS.‎
          By the Governor.‎
          C. A. BROUGHER, Secretary of State.‎

[END QUOTE]

As for research sources, one simply cannot ignore the CS records at the National Archives. Here is a rundown of what NARA has:

Of particular interest is "Confederate Papers Relating to Citizens or Business Firms" (M346, consisting of several hundred microfilmed rolls). This can be a veritable goldmine of information and should not be overlooked.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
          X