Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

additional information on folding scissors

Originally posted by VIrginia Mescher
    Thank you for your explanation about the folding scissors. I will be sure to add it to my research notes. Do you have a picture of the 1801 scissors or are the very similar to the ones from 1872?

Thank you for your time.
    I was doing a search and found an advertistement in _Scientific American_ Sept. 9, 1876. "Novel Folding Scissors. Many travelers who return from abroad bring home to their friends, as a novelty, a pair of folding scissors. But travelers can no longer astonish their friends with this novelty, for Marx Brothers, of 430 Broadway, New York City, are manufacturing, under patent issued May 28, 1872, a superior quality of folding scissors, which are five inches long when in use, but fold into a length to two and a half inches for the pocket, highly finished and neatly put up in leather cases, which they offer in competition with the imported articles."

This seems to indicate that even as late as 1876 the folding scissors were a novelty and not something that was commonly available for the average person to purchase. The small scissors commonly sold in the US probably would have been included in CW housewives rather than the rarer folding ones.
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Re: Housewife Question

I looked for the info on that web site. I would love to repop them. I'm looking to buy an Org. pair of the 1861 scissors. I hope I can find a pair to buy. Anyone knows where I can get a pair please let me know.

Your Servant,
      K.J. Reihl
      [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
      [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

WOODED HAMLET In The VENDORS LINKS Has Good SCISSORS & BODKINS At A Fair Price.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hello All,
          Also on a different note, Some sell their housewifes with bees wax. Does anyone know if they would have wrapped it or could it stand on its own. I know this might sound like a dumb question but the dumb ones are the important ones.

Your Servant,
          K.J. Reihl
          [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by amazingkenneth
            Hello All,
            Also on a different note, Some sell their housewifes with bees wax. Does anyone know if they would have wrapped it or could it stand on its own. I know this might sound like a dumb question but the dumb ones are the important ones.

Your Servant,
            K.J. Reihl
            Some period thread waxers came in decorative shapes but often just a ball or chunk of beeswax was used. It is stable on its own and does not require a wrapper.
            Virginia Mescher
            vmescher@vt.edu
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Sir,
              Thank you so much for the information. The little things count when you are tring to be correct.

your Servant,
              K.J. Reihl

Comment

Greetings,

Here's another housewife pattern taken from the June 1864 "Godey's." Once again, be warned that the Adobe pdf file is rather large.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM.
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I looked at the file. Yes, it was large but well worth looking at it. Thanks,

Your Servant,
                  K.J. Reihl

Comment

Hello All,
                    I just wanted to send this out to give everyone the info that I found on the scissors. I know someone replied that they wanted to know if there was a pic on the scissors dated 1801. Attached is a pic of the 1801 scissors from England. Please note that the top pair are like the ones that come with the kits that are for sale on the site. The only difference is that I cut the loops off and file it to make it look closer to the 1801 pair. I found the photo in a book called, "Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia", By: Francis A. Lord, Vol. 4 Joe I did not want to give any problems on this issue. LOL Sorry about that. I hope this helps everyone....

Your Servant,
                    K.J. Reihl

Originally posted by amazingkenneth
                    Hello All,
                    I hope someone can help on this question for me. I am looking to buy a housewife from the site and I saw folding scissors in most of them. Were they used in the civilwar? I did a little research and found a company called MARX and they had folding scissors but the Pat. date was 1872. I found a pair last night as well on E-bay. They are the same as the ones that are on the site. Can anyone give me info on them or a location that I can research them?

Your Servant,
                    K.J. Reihl
                    23rd North Carolina Infantry, Co. D
                    The PEE DEE Guard
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X