Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C.S. 4-button jacket; earlier date for use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.S. 4-button jacket; earlier date for use?

Comrades,
    In light of this type of jacket being available in the near future through the "Skillet Licker" I took the opportunity to read the Dec 2003 thread (search under brooke) and John Stillwagon's review in the SGLHI newsletter of the 5 extant examples. John feels that based upon the provenance(s) of the extant jackets that a date of no earlier than about fall of 1863 would be safe for consideration of use.
    Something about all of this was nagging at me, and I remembered an image of a young soldier in the 4th Texas wearing what appeared to me to be a 4-button jacket. The soldier was Frank Bowden Chilton, and he enlisted in Co. H of the 4th Texas in 1861 and served (remarkably) unscathed through the war with them, eventually being promoted to the rank of Captain. At some point he had his image taken, and to leave no doubt about the subject, the photographer placed a band about the fellow's cap with his name, and unit. He has what is probably an 1816 conversion musket, a roller buckle belt, his cartridge box and cap box, and a huge sheath knife / Also noticible is a not in his canteen or haversack strap to shorten it up. I suspect that the belt, musket, and accouterments, along with the knife, are photographer's props. However, the canteen and/or haversack are most likely his.
    Of most interest to me is his jacket. It is a 4-button affair with a standup collar and an outside pocket midway up the side. To my old eyes, it is right in line with the 5 original examples John reviewed.
    Now, the attached image is a sketch drawn from the original image (I've got the image around here somewhere, but this was handy so I thought best to use it as it's a faithful copy of the image). This sketch is in J.B. Polley's book "Hood's Texas Brigade". Polley was a member of the 4th Texas and knew Chilton. The sketch is the last in a series of images and illustrations between pages 152 and 153. When I find the photographic image in my files, I'll post it here as well.
    The key for dating this image will be the cap band, which clearly says "Hood's Texas Brigade". Hood was given command of the brigade in March of 1862. By year's end he was a division commander, although the brigade retained it's affections for him throughout the war and later.
    Anyway, I thought you might like to examine this, for it appears to me to give us a date at least as early as summer of 1862, and perhaps earlier, depending upon when the image was taken.
    I'd appreciate your comments on this.
    respects,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1stMaine; 05-27-2004, 12:51 AM.
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Re: C.S. 4-button jacket; earlier date for use?

Tim,

Very neat image! Thank you for posting that. Hopefully you'll soon locate the photo as well but regardless, I consider this a fascinating find.

The CS Echoes has another coat that would be fun to replicate. I'm at work and tragically don't have the volume with me but the image is of a lad, chin whiskers but no mustache, wearing a darker colored sack coat (I'd speculate grey) with two horizontal slash pockets around the waist area, stand up colar with black (or some other darker colored) trim tape and a four button closure. If memory serves me the lad is unidentified but is believed to have served with a cavalry unit.

Garments like those were certainly worn, as is confirmed with surviving originals and period images. Were they worn in numbers comparable with shell jackets? I would reckon no. More common than jaguar skin trousers? Yep, most definitely.

My two cents at this hour on a fine morning near Little Rock.

Fred
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Tim,

That's a neat coat but that is a completely different garment than the Brooke style jacket.

At a glance, it is longer and the fit is completely different.
      John Stillwagon

Comment

Tim,

The image is an engraving based on a photo of Chilton. The note at the top of the engraving indicates that the original photo was taken in Richmond, Va. in 1861. The inscription on the cap appears to be an identifier that in my opinion was probably added during the engraving process. If the photo was taken in 1861, and since Hood did not take command of the brigade until March 1862, the wording on the cap could not have been original to the 1861 photo.

Chilton did serve in Co. H, 4th Texas, but only for a year. According to Harold B. Simpson, Hood's Texas Brigade: A Compendium (Hillsboro, Tex: Hillsboro College, 1977) p.148:

Chilton, Frank B. -- Dischgd., Sept. 15, 1862, under age (17): Returned to Tex. & re-enlisted in another Tex. Regt.: Prom. to Capt.: Serving as Chief Ordn. Off. with Gen. J.B. Robertson in Tex. when war ended.

He is probably the F.B. Chilton who served as 2nd Lieut. in Co. B, Baylor's Regiment Texas Cavalry, following his discharge from the 4th Texas.

Neat jacket, but too bad we will probably never know if he left home with that coat or if he received it in Virginia.

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Comrades,

Eric, thanks for the amplification. It's interesting to note that he was discharged prior to Sharpsburg. He MUST have been left behind in Virginia, because there is no way he could have been 'discovered" as being too young and sent back through maryland to Richmond at that late date. It makes you wonder how he was discovered to be under age, since his comrades must have known about it prior to leaving Texas. An interesting side show to the big show.
          If you find the original image, go ahead and post it. I know i have a copy in my files, but I haven't been able to get to them yet today. I'll see what i can do later this afternoon or tonight.
          For what it's worth, I just find it fascinating that here is another 4-button jacket/coat. They are, as has been stated, not as abundant perhaps as shells and frocks, but still in a significant amount that they ought to be reopresented. Thanks for the input, and I remain,
          respectfully,
          Tim Kindred
          Medical Mess
          Solar Star Lodge #14
          Bath, Maine

Comment

Just to be clear, there are numerous images of soldiers and civilians in four-button jackets and coats. However, like this image, they are all signicantly different from the Brooke jacket and its' siblings.

For those interested, I am in the process of updating my original article. Over the last 18 months, I have received additional information about the Gettysburg and Smithsonian examples. Look for it on the SGLHA website in a few months.
            John Stillwagon

Comment

Comrade John,

Yup. It's not the same as the Brooke jacket, but it shares some similarities, IE, standing collar, 4-buttons, and an outside "slash" pocket. It may be that what we are looking at is a fore-runner of those other jackets, and I can only speculate that perhaps this is somewhere near the front of an evolutionary process that results in the brooke jacket and other styles. It's like the evolution of the shell jacket from a "fancy" early war style to a plain item by war's end. I dunno, just my thoughts here and nothing more.
              Anyway, I wanted to thank you for the amount of time and effort you have put into this subject, as well as the many other areas you have researched and provided guidance on. I can never repay you for all that I have learned from your works, but perhaps using it wisely and passing it along will provide some small measure of reward.
              Again, my thanks for your efforts, and I remain,
              respectfully,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
              X