Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t. v. brooke jacket

gents,
    does anyone have any knowledge on the origin of the t. v. brooke jacket, or what time frame it was used in?

Re: t. v. brooke jacket

Check here:

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Sir,

Mr. Mink has given about the best reference currently available. Having researched the Ross County article extensively (along with others), I can say definitively that it's not a sack coat but rather, exactly what you called it...a jacket. I'm not meaning to "bag" on your post at all but a lot of folks are calling these garments coats these days. As stated, Mr. Stillwagon's article should answer most of your questions.

Regards,

Neill Rose
      Palmetto Living History Association

Comment

Thomas V. Brooke was a member of the 3rd company Richmond Howitzers. The four button jacket and skyblue trousers he wore at Appomattox are in the MOC collection.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

This jacket is now on display in the upper gallery of the MoC.

Some interesting notes I took while pearing through the glass:

This is not a very sexy jacket...in fact it's rather crude in construction (big sloppy stitches). It's original collar is blue in color...the black sateen appears to be nothing more than a facing applied over top of a standing BLUE Collar, this can be seen on the left-hand side of the collar through holes in the black fabric. Why this was done, who knows...but an interesting feature I did not expect to see while in the museum yesterday.

Now that the jacket is on display, I cannot wait for it to come off, so as to get a better look at it.

Paul B.
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I have gone into the MOC to examine this jacket. The curator explained to me that they the collar has grey broadcloth sewn into it to make the collar stand on edge. The one thing they absolutely know for sure about the jacket, blanket, etc that were donated is that T.V. Brooke's himself walked into the MOC and said "This is what I was issued before the surrender, I surrendered in it and walked hom in it." So we certainly know it was used during the Petersburg campaign at the very least, but the article listed above is top notch. I have a reproduction of this jacket from W&W and I love it, it breaks the monotany of "depot" jackets, etc. Hope that helps a bit.
            Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post
              The curator explained to me that they the collar has grey broadcloth sewn into it to make the collar stand on edge.
              Wish I could post the pictures I took...but from what I saw, there appears to be two layers of blue fabric (front and reverse of the collar) in addition to a canvas interfacing sandwiched in between the layers of blue fabric. The sloppy piecing of the black sateen fabric over the collar could possibly have been done at time of manufacture, but appears to be a modification to the existing collar.

I haven't gotten within breathing of this jacket yet, but those are the features that my crew and I were clearly able to see through 1/4 in glass and about 5-6inches of seperation.

While I suppose it is possible that the canvas, and 2-layers of blue fabric were used collectively as interfacing...it's just as possible that the coat was manufactured originally with a blue collar, only to have someone (presumably Thomas Vaden Brooke apply the black sateen overtop of this at a later date).

Now it would really be cool if they collectively exhibited the T.V. Brooke Kit (hat, jacket, trousers, blanket, boots...etc.) in one case...but we'd probably call him a farb if we saw the pieces of his kit in one case.

I know Scott and Fenny Hanes (Richmond Depot) have done a thorough examination of the T.V. Brooke jacket...perhaps Scott can shed some light on the details they examined in construction; interior and exterior.

Also to clarify, if this was issued to Brooke from Richmond, then it too is a "depot" jacket, just not of the "roundabout" style. Some have coined the term possible Richmond IV type jacket, based on the work of Mr. Les Jenson and a few other noted historians.

As a side-note, the following information was pulled from the VMI Archives on Mr. Brooke:http://www1.vmi.edu/archiverosters/D...0&rform=search

Thomas Vaden Brooke, Class of 1864. (Name "Brooks" in some records) Born- 1 December 1844. Matriculated from Richmond, VA. At VMI 1 year and 11 months. Entered VMI 24 July 1860. Military Record: Drillmaster in Richmond, spring. Enlisted 23 May 1861 at Manassas for 1 year as Pvt, Compnay D, 1st Virginia Artillery (Capt B.H. Smith's Company, Virginia Artillery, 3rd Company Richmond Howitzers). Returned to VMI early 1862. With Corps in McDowell Campaign. Left VMI 27 May 1862. Rejoined 3rd Company Richmond Howitzers 11 June 1862. He was a Cpl and was elected to, but declined position as, 1st Lt, Company E, 21st Virginia in September 1863. Paroled at Appomattox. Post War Career: Unofficial source says he attended MCV. Physician ("one of the few remaining doctors of the old school"). He was a Mason. Next to last survivor of the Corps that marched off with Professor (later Lt Gen) T.J. Jackson in April 1861. Died- 12 March 1933.
              May be a long shot...but does anyone know of ANY Pictures of T.V. Brooke?

Paul B.
              Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 11-17-2008, 11:22 AM. Reason: clarify
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Having examined the jacket in detail before it was put back on display, I can forward along some of my notes on the collar.

The black cotton collar is interfaced with one layer of dark cadet grey wool (possibly your common blue grey kersey) and one layer of heavy plain weave cotton. What material is underneath is not a complete collar. The black cotton is sewn into the neck opening in the typical manner, and not simply sewn overtop an existing collar, leading me to believe that if the collar is a later replacement, somebody must have removed the former collar to put in what is there now. So, unfortunately, if we don't believe that the black cotton collar is original to the jacket, I don't think we'll ever know what the original collar was.

-Craig Schneider
                Craig Schneider

Comment

does anyone know where the best place to get a t.v. brooke jacket and pants?

Donald Holm

Comment

Originally posted by hollowleg View Post
                    does anyone know where the best place to get a t.v. brooke jacket and pants?

Donald Holm
                    I would go with Dan at W.White and co. from what I have heard and seen he does the tricks that the coat has.There is a few weird things about both.
                    Kiev Thomason
                    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                    WIG
                    Armory Guards
                    Forest Park Lodge #399
                    Forest Park GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiev Thomason View Post
                      I would go with Dan at W.White and co. from what I have heard and seen he does the tricks that the coat has.There is a few weird things about both.
                      I second that, I have one of his 4 button coats. He does copy the cool little things like a mistake in the collar, its' really cool. Of all the coats/jackets I own that one is my favorite. His coat is based on the 4 button jacket in the Ross County(i think that's right) historical society in Ohio. Same style as the Brooke jacket but no black facings.
                      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

I would contact Brandon Jolly of Dirty shirt depot.
                        John McClellan

Comment

Working...
                        X