Sewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing

Does anybody have any directions to learn how to topstich and hand fell seams? If so I would appreciate any sources of information.
    Ryan Stull
    37th NC Co B
    stull6@charter.net

Re: Sewing

This could become a very complicated posting. I would suggest you get some cheap scrap material and do a little practising. The basic stitches are pretty uncomplicated. A few that you will need to know are the straight stitch, the backstitch, and the whipstitch. Learn these to become familiar with the handling of a needle, after you get those down you can learning the buttonhole stitch. I would highly suggest you start by making something simple, like a housewife or simple haversack.

Comment

I already know how to do the button hole stitch, i believe, if it is the purl stitch. I have prior sewing experience but just wanted to know the exact process of how to topstich and hand fell seams. thanks for responding and i appreciate any information i can get.
      Ryan Stull
      37th NC Co B
      stull6@charter.net

Comment

Oh ok, you want to know about flat felling seams. That is one of the easier things to do. Either straight or back stitch the 2 pieces of cloth together. Watch your seem allowance. After that double fold the seam allowance, and whipstitch it down. If you need to get a mental picture of this, just grab a pair of blue jeans and look at the seems of them and imagine a line of whipstitching down the folded edge instead of the machine stitching.

Comment

If memory serves, they have something of a Stitch-cionary. Brief description and usually a diagram for most of the common stitches.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X