Federal trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal trousers

Has anyone out there ever heard of enlisted Federal soldiers buying or otherwise obtaining private purchase trousers? They did it with sack coats, common sence would suggest that buying a better pair of pants would not be unheard of, after all the issue trousers left lots to be desired.

Clark, please sign your full name to all posts. Creating an auto-signature in your profile is the easiest way to do this.
    Last edited by dusty27; 12-11-2003, 01:24 PM.

Re: Federal trousers

Comrade Clark,
    There is one instance that I can think of, where it appears that an enlisted man is wearing officer's trousers. It is a group picture of some Hospital Stewards taken in the field, and appears in the "Image of War" series of books. One of the stewards is wearing what appears to be a private purchase blouse with dark blue trousers and a gold or at least metallic welt down the seam, such as would be worn by a staff officer.
    No two of the Stewards are dressed alike, but a majority appear to have the cadeuces on their sleeves. Some have hats, some caps, some light blue trousers, others dark, some with boots and some with shoes. it's interesting for all the little details it shows, and well worth digging out.
    respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Greetings,

Given that enlisted troops with the financial means could and did acquire private-purchase sack coats, jackets, and even frock coats, the short answer for private purchase trousers is "indubitably." There is a private-purchase enlisted dress coat on display in the Indiana War Memorial ID'd to a 1st Sgt. in the 122nd Ohio. This was clearly an expensive item, made from fabric of a different shade than standard issue coats, so it stands to reason he had matching trousers made as well.

I've also seen an ID'd image of a Iowa Sergeant Major and he is clearly wearing a private-purchase, tailored frock coat (no blue piping so it looks quite similar to an officer's coat) and trousers.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Last edited by markj; 12-11-2003, 02:17 PM.
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I have seen at least 1 pair, ID'd to a Sgt. in the 1st US Engineers (also pictured in EOG). By reading a few accounts you will see that some mention soldiers purchasing their own uniforms etc.. I think Robert Knox Sneden of the 40th NY did, but cant quite recall that off the top of my head. This I believe is also mentioned in Hardtack and Coffee. So yes, some soldiers did privately purchase trousers, jackets etc.. Was it common for enlisted, not really especially as the war progressed.

Comment

I have one Photo saved of a Private wearing cordoroy trousers. These could be private purchase or they could have been issued for fatigue purposes (the 84th IN were issued cords to that end), as I have no other info on the photograph, who knows. I am attempting to attach the image.

Update, I have apparently lost that image. I think I pulled it off of here, if anyone still has it, do post it for I loved it so.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Justin,
            I believe this is the image you are referring to. I think this picture came from Mr. John Stillwagon. I'm not sure of the source of the picture, perhaps he can say where he got the image. I apologize if this info is incorrect. I agree though-awesome image. Glad it was posted.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Matthew.Rector; 12-11-2003, 06:25 PM.
            Matthew Rector

Comment

Looks like a dandy of a fella :-)
              [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
              [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Looks like a dandy of a fella :D
                [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
                [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks pards. I figured that this was the case. I agree that most probably had the issue type, but there are always going to be some that want something a tad better.

Comment

Yeh Matt, thats the one.

Now that we have three or four instances documented thats cool, but lets not forget our PEC rule.
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Now that im thinking about it, I have info on one other pair of trousers, although not privately purchased, they were tailored quite well to give a private purchase appearence! The are ID'd to Sgt. M.D. Judkins Battery D 4th US artillery. These are WH Button Contract trousers, but have altered "mule ear" pockets, watch pocket is gone, back waist belt which is trimmed in scarlet worsted lace, and the bottom of the trousers "flare" out and lack the usual "boot vent" that normall issue trousers have. They also have a linen boot lining sewn into the cuffs (which can be seen on civilian trousers of the period).

These trousers are the second pair of "altered" trousers I have info on. The other pair being William Deering Contract Mounted trousers which are in the collection at West Point. The Deering trousers again feature the "mule" ear pockets w/ a different hue of sky blue kersey for the facing colors, and also are missing the watch pocket.

So I guess there is to realms, those that were privately purchased and those that were privately "tailored" to the soldiers likings. But again one must remember these are only a few instances, and should not be done in large quantities, and also of note is the fact that all the trousers I have mentioned are ID'd to SGT's, and not plain Infantry privates.

Hoping the forgoing information is of some assistance,

Comment

Gents,
                        While compiling images for the sack coat book and sifting through hundreds of them, one thing I did notice was quite a few ill fitting trowsers.

I might not ever have the hard numbers to back it up, but my impression is that a soldier was much more apt to wear a pair of pants with a crappy fit than a pair of private purchase slickers. Images abound of baggy trowsers and cuffs rolled up so they wouldn't trip over themselves.

Taking into acount the general rule that soldiers tend to spruce up for the camera, if you want to look typical (isn't that what we are all shooting for?) you're much better off getting a pair of baggy issue trowsers and rolling up the cuffs.

Great photo of the cords by the way. That one's going in the archives!

Cheers gents!

Comment

Working...
                        X