Ohio Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Jacket

Does anyone have a photo reference for an Ohio jacket or know anything relating to it's issue during the Civil War?

Jeff Lawson
    Jeff Lawson
    2nd Vermont, Co. E

Re: Ohio jacket

There is some info about State jackets including Ohio jackets on C.J. daleys site, though it is not much, but a start.

Comment

Look through: www.ohiocivilwar.com

- there are a few images and links there which show "Ohio" jackets.

The "Ohio" jacket term was created by Charlie Childs more or less in the mid-1980s...

Also, Chris Daley has a few on his site (www.cjdaley.com) from the Larry Strayer collection I believe, as well as photos of an original jacket in a private collection...

As to its issue during the war, there is no clear evidence that the "Ohio" jacket as it is known was a state issued garment, a commutation item, or another variant of jacket issued to Ohio troops...

It is commonly thought from photo evidence to be an earlier war item first appearing around mid / late 1861, etc. Although various jackets are seen in Ohio photos throughout the war. Also Charlie Childs, another Buckeye has info on these jackets as well...

You also might try contacting Mike Willey or Larry Stevens about this as they both have done a bit of research on this item...including a re-issue of state stores to ONG troops in 1864 including "jackets" & "militia plates". . .
      Last edited by RyanBWeddle; 07-14-2004, 05:21 PM.
      Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
      – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Seems to me the "Ohio" jacket was pretty typical for Hoosier troops as well. Attached is an image of an Indiana soldier, dating from 1861 or 1862. It isn't ID'd but does have a Richmond, Indiana backmark. Identical jackets are shown in other images of Indiana troops. They generally had nine-button fronts with two buttons on each cuff--epaulets were present on many, but not all, such jackets.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mr. Jaeger,

If I may.

With the realization that Indiana manufactured infantry jackets under State procurement, as well as noting the infantry jacket contracts let by AQM A. Montgomery in Indianapolis during the late summer of 1861.

In your experience, have you happened across images of Hoosiers wearing these jackets identified to regiments destined for service in Kentucky during the latter months of 1861? That is, the reorganized Department of Ohio, or what would become the reorganized Department of Ohio, under Buell as of Nov. 15, 1861.

Regards,

John

John Sarver
          Cin., O.

BTW, Semans, Simon B., 57th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, organized at Richmond.
          Soldiers and Sailor NPS thing.
          Last edited by Agate; 07-15-2004, 10:23 PM.
          John Sarver

Comment

There are a couple images of these "Ohio" Jackets in both the 4th & 8th Ohio Regimentals, which were reproduced several years ago by Blue Acorn Press.

Several Years back, a few associates had been going through the AG Records at the Ohio Historical Society, and found references and Purchase Orders on Jackets that had been bought from the State of Pennsylvania. (Rick Musselman, if your reading...can you shed some light on these).

Also, some time ago I spoke with Charlie Childs about these coats briefly, when we were having a discussion about a great coat held in our local historical society. It's a shame...he lives only 10 minutes away, and all we have ever done is talk on the phone a couple of times. If you really want to know more call him, he does have a wealth of information on these types of Jackets, as well as Stuebenville Jackets, Pants, etc.
            Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
            Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
            Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

For photos of Indiana soldiers you may want to peruse the Civil War Indiana site: http://civilwarindiana.com/

Good luck,
              Rob Wiseman
              Robert Wiseman

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained." Walt Disney

Comment

if you mean....

Re:
                short jacket, with epaulettes, with 'pointed' cuff

I've seen a handful of ID'd Illinois images (in particular, two from the 10th Ill. Inf.) wearing this type of jacket.

FWIW,
                John Pillers
                John Pillers
                Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Originally posted by Agate
                  Mr. Jaeger,

If I may.

With the realization that Indiana manufactured infantry jackets under State procurement, as well as noting the infantry jacket contracts let by AQM A. Montgomery in Indianapolis during the late summer of 1861.

In your experience, have you happened across images of Hoosiers wearing these jackets identified to regiments destined for service in Kentucky during the latter months of 1861? That is, the reorganized Department of Ohio, or what would become the reorganized Department of Ohio, under Buell as of Nov. 15, 1861.

Regards,

John

John Sarver
                  Cin., O.

BTW, Semans, Simon B., 57th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, organized at Richmond.
                  Soldiers and Sailor NPS thing.
                  Greetings John,

Thanks for the ID--it's pretty much what I expected.

I presume you are referring to, among other things, the 30 September 1861 contractor bid solicitation posted in the Indianapolis papers by the lamented A. Montgomery? "Uniform jackets" were requested for cavalry and artillery musicians and privates. These were all to be made of "dark blue kersey." Montgomery requested some 36,000 "Uniform coats" (i.e., dress coats) for infantry troops. These were also to be of "dark blue kersey." He also requested 10,000 "Blue Flannel Sack Coats--lined."

Indiana troops did receive jackets because a telegram I found in the Oliver Morton Telegraph Books (Indiana State Archives), sent by the Louisville AQM in early November 1861, stated that "dark blue jackets" and matching trousers, both made of kersey, had been forwarded to the 10th Indiana then encamped in the vicinity of Bardstown KY (I'm working from memory here in the office). These were issued to the 10th IVI on 17 November 1861. For the record, the 10th IVI was actually issued GRAY satinette jackets and trousers (with black trimmings) shortly before it deployed for Kentucky in late September 1861. This is mentioned in the 10th IVI regimental history (published 1912)--the uniforms were reportedly of high quality since the author noted they were the best uniforms ever handed out to the regiment.

There is also an image of a man in the 27th Indiana wearing a very similar jacket/trouser getup in "Giants in the Cornfield" (recent regimental history of the 27th IVI). A woodcut in "Harper's Illustrated Weekly," based on a field sketch by a "Mr. Mosler," shows troops of the 32nd (German) Indiana building pontoon boats near Green River in November 1861. One or more of them are wearing short jackets of the style previously discussed. You can see a small version of this image at:

Another image, depicting the "square" formed by elements of the 32nd Indiana against Terry's Texas Rangers at Rowlett's Station KY (17 Dec 61), that appeared in an January or February 1862 image in "Leslie's Illustrated Weekly," also shows most, if not all, the men wearing short jackets. How much of this is "artistic license" I don't know but it's pretty clear Indiana troops from various regiments were, indeed, wearing these types of jackets.

Hope this helps,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Gents,

I know this is an old thread, but I have been through the search function with no luck. I'm trying to find out which Ohio units used this jacket in '61. Does anyone have any information or any insight on where there are any good sources to find out? I appreciate the help.
                    Andrew Roscoe,
                    The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                    24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

6th and 49th Ohio had them as did the 17th and 33rd. The 49th were issued them in December 61. We believe both the 6th and 49th was still wearing them at Shiloh. There was also a gray version that some early 90 day guys got, to include the 15th. The QMG files at Ohio History Connection has some good data on who received them. I have 10 or so images of 49th boys in them and a diary entry when they were issued.
                      Last edited by cavscout148; 04-08-2015, 07:14 PM.
                      JOSHUA MANN
                      121st Ohio Vol.
                      Yo Mess

Comment

The 55th Ohio did not have them, but they did have frock coats that in images seem to have high collars.
                        Andrew Grim
                        The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
                        x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
                        Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                        Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

The 8th had them, although from some of the pictures, specifically in the Blue Acorn Press regimental history - they look very similar to New York Jackets in that there appears to be piping.
                          Jake Koch
                          The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
                          https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
                          -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
                          -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Returns in the Ohio Historical Society is one source to turn to. There are small references to the 4th OVI and 19th OVI having "GRAY" State Jackets at Rich Mountain. Somewhere, I do have in my notes that the State of Ohio did purchase a quantity of jackets from the State of Pennsylvania. Unknown if they were grey or blue, but they could be the source for the jackets worn by some of the regiments early in their 3 month service in Western Virginia.
                            Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                            Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                            Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

If remember correctly there is a state jacket in the Wayne County Historical Society in Wooster, Ohio. I can't remember if it is a grey or blue one, but a company of the 4th OVI was raised in that county. I haven't been there to look at the collection since I moved away, but I am heading home in a few weeks and will take a look if I can arrange it.
                              Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
                              SCAR

Comment

Working...
                              X