Replacement Backstrap for Colt Signature Series:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Backstrap for Colt Signature Series:

I have one of Colt's 1860 Army Signature Series revolvers, a great weapon except for the gold "Sam Colt" signature engraved on the backstrap. I've heard that the Colt pistols are actually produced under license by one of the Italian pistol anufacturers, so it stands to reason that I should be able to buy a replacement backstrap without the signature. Does anybody know what manufacturer makes these for Colt, and where I can buy replacement parts?

Thanks,
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Re: Replacement Backstrap for Colt Signature Series:

I've heard they were made in Spain. Contact Colt and they may be able to help you find a replacement. Or you could buy a backstrap made by Uberti and see if it fits. Come to think of it, I've got an old backstrap off of a repro Colt that my ex wife ruined. Drop me an email and we can make arrangements for me to send it to you.

Comment

Couldn't you have the signature polished out of the backstrap in a similar fashion as musket barrels are defarbed?
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Would love to hear the answer on that (buffing it out) - would love to get rid of the obnoxious signature.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Try Numrich Arms at the below address. They have been able to provide me with various parts needed for a project I have been working on with a 2nd Issue Colt:

1903 SpringfieldA.J. AubreyAccu-TekAction ArmsAgawamAK/AKSAldo UbertiAmerican ArmsAmerican BulldogAmerican EagleAmerican GunAmerican RegentAMTAndrew

Go down to the Colt category, and then to 1860 Army. Order your parts from there. They also stock Uberti (under Aldo Uberti) and other reproduction parts as well, if you would rather go that route.

I BELIEVE that the same parts for the 2nd Issue and the Colt Signature are interchangeable... though there is some difference with other revolvers. I would think that some grinding, buffing and rebluing might be your best bet, though.

Gordon Frye

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
            I've heard they were made in Spain. Contact Colt and they may be able to help you find a replacement. Or you could buy a backstrap made by Uberti and see if it fits. Come to think of it, I've got an old backstrap off of a repro Colt that my ex wife ruined. Drop me an email and we can make arrangements for me to send it to you.
            Clark,

I tried sending you a private e-mail through the forum, but that feature may not be working. I'd like to discuss your extra backstrap -- my e-mail is BReagan88@mindspring.com.

To others who have commented, thanks for the input. I'd really prefer not to experiment with grinding the signature off my pistol. Most of the defarbed muskets I've seen still show signs of grinding, and in any event, rebluing the backstrap would probably prove just as expensive as buying a new one.
            Bill Reagan
            23rd Reg't
            Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Article on Colt Signature Series:

Here's an article which discusses the background of the Colt 2nd Generation and Colt Signature Series which might be illuminating as per their manufacture:

Gordon Frye

Comment

Comrades - I note on the Numrich site that brass backstraps are available for 1851 Navy's but cannot tell if steel is as well (which the Signature series are, at least mine is). What metal was more prevalent for bactstrap and trigger guard?
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug;

To the best of my knowledge, ALL 1860 Army Colts were furnished with the steel/iron backstrap, since the original intention was to make them able to be fitted with shoulder stocks. If there were any with a brass backstrap, they were an extreme rarity. MOST Navy's were made with a brass backstrap, with only the ones cut for the shoulder stock having iron, as a general (but not absolute) rule. Military issue Navy's were plain brass, while Civilian ones had the brass trigger guard and backstrap silver plated.

I do note that presently Numrich is out of stock on this item... sorry for a blind lead. However, the Uberti product SHOULD fit, and without too much fitting and filing ought not to be too tought to fit to your Colt. Most of the problems in fitting such things are with screw placement, and you can fidget with the screw holes by using a small rat-tailed file. Or you could take the parts to a gunsmith and have him do the same thing with files and a hammer ("Old World Craftsmanship") when you aren't looking.

Good luck with your project,

Gordon Frye

Comment

Working...
                  X