CSA Clothing issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA Clothing issue

How was clothing issued to a campaigning army from let's say a depot? Was it wrapped in paper or bundled with other things? If there was only one item, how was it sent?

Thanks,

Jim Ross
    James Ross

Re: CSA Clothing issue

Jim

I dont know about CS issue, but the US sent clothing in big compressed bundles. I imagine the CS clothing authorities would do something similar.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

From the regimental QM records I've seen clothing was issued piece meal, but over a period of time was issued in sufficient quantities, for the most part.

Comment

Sorry,

I guess I posted a general question. What I meant was - was the clothing itself issued as it was or was it wrapped in paper or other. We've ALL seen 'Glory' and saw how they got the "blue suit" but what about Confeds.? Was it given in the same manner?

Jim Ross
        James Ross

Comment

We've ALL seen 'Glory' and saw how they got the "blue suit" but what about Confeds.? Was it given in the same manner?
          Don't let this be your guiding light :(

Wish I could answer your question, and others may be able to do so. Good luck
          [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
          [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Hi,

Some of your question may depend on how we define "issue." For example, there are published notices from the CS QM Department in October 1862 numbers of the Richmond VA "Enquirer" soliciting clothing (e.g., shirts, trousers, socks, etc.) from citizen soldier's aid organizations for designated units. Upon receipt of the requested items, the QM would "issue" them to the units in question. Not much detail is provided regarding how the shipping boxes from these citizen's groups were packed but I doubt shirts, etc. were "baled." The packing for such boxes may have been more akin to the following description of a box sent by Hoosier citizens to the 16th Indiana in late 1861:

[Begin quote]

We wish to call the attention of those sending articles to their friends in the army, ‎to the necessity of packing them so as to avoid damage. We noticed in the box sent from ‎here the other day, several articles so loosely enveloped that they would be utterly spoiled ‎without great care in handling. If a suitable box cannot be procured, each article that is in ‎any way liable to breakage should be tightly wrapped in paper or some soft substance, ‎and secured with strong twine. Care should also be taken in directing packages. Write ‎the address as plain as possible, and then fasten it to the package so that it cannot rub or ‎chafe off.‎

We were at "Chambers"‎ ‎ on Saturday, [November 23rd 1861], while the box ‎containing the contributions for Captain Platter's men was being packed.‎ ‎ There were all ‎sorts of things, done up in all sorts of bundles; from a good sized box, snugly packed with ‎a little of everything, to a simply [sic] little article, loosely done up in brown paper, and ‎tied with a piece of thread, that told of the poverty as well as the affection of the donor. ‎There were bibles, blankets and butter, pickles, preserves and prayer books, sweetmeats, ‎socks and stationery, daguerreotypes and doughnuts, comforts, cakes and confectionery, ‎gloves and groceries, mittens, magazines and medicines, testaments and tobacco--‎certainly the most heterogeneous assortment one could imagine. Of one box that we ‎‎"know of," a fine edition of Shakespeare, a huge loaf of "salt rising" bread, a large pound ‎cake, and a pot of butter, formed the superstructure; then came a course of socks, mittens ‎and gloves, topped off with a lot of writing paper, and the last weekly publications. ‎Another package consisted of a loaf of home-made bread, Harper's Magazine, and the ‎latest daily papers, rolled up inside of a huge blanket. Some packages were done up in a ‎snug, business like manner, that would defy even the destructive ingenuity of a railway ‎baggage man; others were so loosely enveloped that one could hardly carry them a dozen ‎miles in his pocket without ruining them. A little pot of pickles--an orphan girl's offering ‎to her only brother--illegibly directed and unskillfully sealed, was like to burst open and ‎spoil other things; but skillful hands, more used to the business, bound it up securely, ‎fastened the direction on it, and put it away with gentle care.‎
            A large goods box had been procured, and the packing was commenced. The rich ‎man's present to his heir and the widow's offering to her only son, lay side by side; the ‎father's bundle of clothing; the mother's pot of butter or preserves; the wife's package of ‎underclothes and socks; the brother's gloves and mittens, and the sister's handkerchief and ‎books, were piled one upon the other, and the box was full....

[End quote]

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for sharing those articles! It gives a whole new perspective how things can be "issued" at an event. In the clever mind and deep pocket of an individual, one can give several a lasting impression of an event. Something like this would be good to do at a campaign event like I'll be a part of in April 04 here in Calif. Little things like this from home would be a good idea on top of getting a clothing issue from the government.

Of course 'Glory' can be taken with a grain of salt when using it as an example for anything, but I was just using it as an example. For all I know, random articles of clothing or blankets could be thrown in with rations or even rounds. I guess there's no REAL way of knowing but the above samples help...

Thanks again,
              Jim Ross
              James Ross

Comment

Working...
              X