Hospital stewards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital stewards?

I'm going to start a U.S./C.S. hospital steward impression soon and i am wanting to know the uniform and equipment regs for both armys and any period manuals that were issued to them. Also where could i find out more info on them.

sinc,

Ethan Gallo
    Ethan S. Gallo

Re: Hospital stewards?

Comrade,
    Shoot me an email and I'll give you what I've got. I've been developing this impression for a few years.
    Respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Sir
      Part of our unit is a Medical field Hospital.
      Chattanooga Academy Field Hospital and since it was Confederate for half the war and federal the other half we do both. We don't do the dog and pony shows. We do the best we can for the troops in the field.
      We do need people who can and want to do a steward.
      Get the books
      Doctors in Gray and Doctors in Blue. T very good books to read. There is another one I will have to look back-up. I just moved and everything is in a box.
      Hope this helps you get a start. Any questions let me know.

Your Obediant Servant
      Maj Jim Bruce
      Jim "Doc" Bruce
      War means fightn and fightn means killn.
      L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
      Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Hi,

In addition to what Tim may provide you, definitely surf around the web. This dealer site lists what is stated to be an 1864 diary by the HS of the 4th Minnesota containing detailed information about the duties he performed:

An antique medical, surgical, dental, and Civil War related archive site. Fine examples of surgical sets, stethoscopes, pelicans, Civil War Medical Staff swords, etc., are pictured with authoritative descriptions. Links to other useful information.

I'm pretty sure there was a manual published during the war for the benefit of Hospital Stewards. You should be able to find it listed on the Web if Tim doesn't mention it to you.

Another potentially interesting book is "A Captive of War" (White Mane, 1996). This is a wartime account by the Hospital Steward of the 17th Ohio. It's definitely available on amazon.com and you might be able to get it through interlibrary loan.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Greetings,

Okay, here are two important resources:

(This is a recently published book on Civil War pharmaceutical practices and looks to be a "must-read" for any aspiring Hospital Steward!)

Also check the site for the National Museum of Civil War Medicine. This page shows the books it has for sale (including the 1862 Hospital Stewards Manual):

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
          X