Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Army of the Republic veterans publications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Army of the Republic veterans publications?

I'm familiar with the post-war veteran publication for CS veterans entitled "The Confederate Veteran", and in fact I have a few volumes of back-issues that I got a hold on through ebay. My question though is if there was any equivalent publication for Federal Veterans, possibly run by the GAR. Obviously every GAR post probably had its own newsletter, though I'm interested in finding if the National organization itself ever published anything that might contain veteran stories, reunion info, etc. as "The Confederate Veteran" did.
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Re: Grand Army of the Republic veterans publications?

Try the National Tribune, a weekly newspaper. I've got some Trans-Miss articles transcribed at:

They have long articles, obituaries, and really interesting fights in the letters to the editor. ("WE saved the day at Shiloh. No WE did. The article two weeks ago was dead wrong.")

The various state MOLLUS units also published volumes with interesting accounts.

Vicki Betts
    vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Thanks for the help vbetts! I believe there is a GAR museum somewhere in Springfield, IL. Does anyone have a contact for that museum, as I'm debating contacting them regarding where to find issues of this "National Tribune". Where did you get your copies to transcribe, vbetts?

Thanks again!

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

Comment

National Tribune

It's been several years now, but I want to say I got the film on interlibrary loan from the University of Alabama. I just checked WorldCat and they definitely have the microfilm there, and at U of Florida, U of Hawaii at Manoa (!!!), the State Historical Society of Iowa, Detroit Public Library, University of Toledo, and Ohio Historical Society. There are also 51 libraries that say they own at least some paper copies. The entire run is 1877-1917 before it changes title to _The National Tribune, Incorporating the National Guardsman and the American Standard_, then in 1926 it became _The National Tribune, the Stars and Stripes, the National Guardsman, the American Standard_, then in 1928 it became _National Tribune, the Stars and Stripes_, then in 1963 it became _The Stars and Stripes, the National Tribune_, which it still is. The focus has been on U.S. veterans throughout, in whichever war they have served.

Vicki Betts
        vbetts@gower.net

Comment

The Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) published a HUGE amount of Union veteran's reminiscences in the form of adresses and papers on the widest possible range of war topics. This is a treasure trove of information that is organized and published by the state MOLLUS chapter in each Union state, including Nebraska and Pacific states. Minnesota for instance published 5 volumes of these papers. Rhode Island published 9! Information in each volume is not restricted to vets who fought for just those states regiments but include all states, the Navy and regulars as well.

Fantastic books - all published between the end of the war and 1900. Broadfoot Publishing has a 68 volume reprint set. I still own the Maine, Rhode Island, and Minnesota sets. Do not know if it has been put on CD yet. If it does I am first in line.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

MOLLUS index

I found a table of contents listing for the various MOLLUS volumes at:

Is there a better one somewhere, other than the 4 volume index by Broadfoot? I'm with you, Doug, if these would come out on CD I'd be right there in line. I'm sure we've missed some Camp Ford and Red River accounts scattered among the states, not to mention some good descriptions of the Southern homefront.

Vicki Betts
            vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Greetings,

Indeed, the "National Tribune" was the national GAR paper but there were a host of other papers and organizations catering to veterans. Many of these groups had their own newspapers and publications. You cannot overemphasize the political clout Union Army veteran organizations had during the latter part of the 19th century. Reportedly something upwards of 2/3 of the entire Federal budget at one point was allocated solely for veteran pensions!

One of the more important of these papers was the "American Tribune," published in Indianapolis c.1878-1906. The "AT" is filled with fascinating reminiscences available nowhere else and has never been indexed. The Indianapolis Public Library has microfilm of the issues covering roughly 1890-1896 but good luck trying to get it through interlibrary loan--I've tried twice and been shot down both times. Fortunately, I live only an hour from Indianapolis and have been able to review many issues there.

As you may (or may not) know, Richard Sauers put together a basic index for major articles published the 1877-1884 issues of the "National Tribune" but it leaves much to be desired--it completely ignores many other columns of the paper that also provide interesting information:

Sauers, Richard A. "To Care for Him Who Has Borne the Battle: Research Guide to Civil War Material in the National Tribune." History Shop Press, 1995.
              ISBN: 1887561005.

Unfortunately, this title is apparently out-of-print although you may be able to order it through "bookfinder.com" or "alibris.com." I had to "bootleg" my copy by xeroxing a copy of "To Care..." owned by a friend. My understanding is that Sauers has been indexing additional issues of the "NT" but I don't know where he's currently at in this project.

Hope this helps!

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I did a few generic searches at Albris.com and Bookfinder.com as you suggested, and found something fairly interesting. Apparently in 1909 there were a series of books published by National Tribune putting most of their veteran-written articles into multiple volume compendiums called "National Tribune Scrapbooks". Albris lists volume 2 and 3 for sale, albeit for a pretty high cost ($80+).

The title of volume 3 appears to be:

The National Tribune Scrap Book Number 3. Stories of the Camp, March, Battle, Hospital and Prison Told By Comrades

I guess I should keep my eyes on eBay. The Confederate Veteran copies I have were together in multiple volume books as well, and I'm guessing that what these "Scrap Books" are as well. Interesting.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Re: Grand Army of the Republic

To add to......

There are a couple nice museums in Springfield: The Daughters of Union Veterans and the Womens Relief Corps are two. Don't be put off by the names they have lots of neat things like images, relics and such.

I should recall more but I don't. I've been to the WRC museum a half dozen times. It sits on a corner (like thats a big help!)

If you go, call first. They are small museums and will likely have 'odd' hours. They should be well open on the day of the Lincoln Tomb ceremony (April) so keep that in mind.

I recall seeing some National Tribune stuff at the Illinois State Archives. Perhaps there is a Missouri version. And don't forget the Western Historical Manuscript Collection or whatever its called. Basically, I think its the University of Missouri archive section, though its divided between the different campuses. There was an online index at one time.

The Wilson's Creek NPS site just opened a honkin' library (I'm told). Maybe give them a jingle.

There are 1-2 Sons of Union Veterans camps in the K.C. (and one in Springfield) area. They may offer direction.

Check into MOLLUS. They have a Web site.

And the Sons site: www. suvcw.org

John Pillers
                  TSM
                  John Pillers
                  Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
                  X