Confed Prisoners???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confed Prisoners???

Before the old site crashed (maybe it was me who did it when I posted this request) I asked if anyone still had that picture that was of Confederate Prisoners taking the oath inside a building with a podium on the right and a huge flag covering the ceiling. The Johnnies are all in a row from left extending to the center of the photo. It's one I've never seen before until the photo was posted.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like it for research purposes...

Jim Ross
    James Ross

Re: Confed Prisoners???

The Library of Congress has it labeled as "Prisoners at Point Lookout taking the oath of allegiance", taken on June 30, 1865. And wow, that's big. Sorry for that. But look at the detail!
    Last edited by ThehosGendar; 12-30-2003, 03:33 PM.
    Jason R. Wickersty
    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Mr. Wickersty,

Thanks a bunch for this reply! I say the bigger the better to get the detail! After all, the truth is in details right?!!!

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you,

Jim Ross
      James Ross

Comment

AMAZING IMAGE!!!

Check out the blanket rolls at their feet.

Too many details to mention!
        John Stillwagon

Comment

This was on the old site about 8-9 months ago and is certainly one of the greatest late (post) war photos of CS troops. Their expressions are really something - this is likely one of the very last groups of prisoners from Lookout who took the oath. The jackets, vests, blankets etc are fantastic. Wish I knew how long these particular troops had spent in captivity. if we could determine they were captured that spring at Petersburg we just might be looking at true late 64-early 65 field uniforms.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Greetings,

Neat image. Here's something to think about: Assuming the date is correct, one might be able to check the release rosters for Point Lookout for that day as they might provide:

a) the names of all men released on that day

b) their units

By a process of deduction, you might be able to find out when these men were captured (or at least transferred to Point Lookout). I think much of this info is already on NARA microfilm. While at the Great Lakes (Chicago) NARA branch some weeks back, I looked at a considerable amount of material relating to various Federal POW camps (especially Camps Morton and Douglas) and discovered release rosters providing precisely the info mentioned above.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Under close magnification (and with a little help of Photoshop) you can see the 4th gent from the right extending his right arm to hold the right hand of the one on the far right that his trouser legs cuffed at the shins!!! You can distinctly see 2 seams that run in that area on his leg. Maybe they were pieced as well... who knows.

Jim Ross
              James Ross

Comment

Yes! And it also looks that the soldier second down from the one with his hand extended at the salient at left is still wearing his blanket roll!
                Jason R. Wickersty
                http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

i found someting interesting about the feller on the far right who has his back to the confed POWs. It looks like hes playin on a piano or something doesnt it? my two cent worth
                  John

Comment

It makes me wonder what was going through their minds when this photo was taken. They look pretty resigned to their situation. I would imagine the finality of their cause, sacrifices and suffering really hit home when they took the oath of allegiance. It was truly over.

Great image, great detail, great faces.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                    X