X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gray Hair?

Dale,
    You are right about it being hereditary, on my mother’s side everyone went gray/white early. Mine started to change about the time of my first son’s birth. That was also about the time I made my jump into Point Salinas airport. I still cannot figure out which one caused the most stress!

My point was in trying to achieve the impression of the average artilleryman, not the one that stands out.

Thanks,
    Barry Smithson

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Smithson
      Thanks, I tried clipping the beard shorter but it is still white. The officer impression is not an option.
      Would I be better off just shaving the beard and cutting the hair short for the season? What do you other less than very young guys do?
      We come back to the concept of "authentic" vs. "accurate". None of us can be truly authentic. We are not CW soldiers, we only protray them. I doubt that the hair color will injure your impression.
      If we wish to be "authentic", we need to march (on foot, not by auto) to all our events, develop a good case of body lice and possibly dysentery, surgically remove legbone, if needed, to reach the required shorter average height, and untold other things. I don't know about you, but I have a day job that I must keep to support this hobby that requires a look, etc. I can be accurate in my portrayal; I cannot even begin to be authentic.
      Please keep the flaming nice, gents; we're all part of the same hobby. :)

Bernard Biederman
      30th OVI
      Co. B
      Bernard Biederman
      30th OVI
      Co. B
      Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
      Outpost III

Comment

The reality is that our average age is too high to be representative of real CW soldiers. So, since there is nothing we can do about that, I would focus on what we can fix. We can try to lose a few pounds (me included!), improve our impressions, imrpove our kits, improve our first person, etc, etc. Someone suggested coloring hair and beard...no issues there...go for it and may make you look the part a bit more.

Regards,
        Jim Butler
        The SRR
        Jim Butler

Comment

p.s. Aaron....your funny
          Dale, I aim to please....
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

This is a topic that has caused me some concern,as I am just entering the hobby. I had been thinking about it,but I was wondering if I was just too old (49). After surveying a bunch of websites,I guess I won't be the oldest guy there. IMO, weight is the biggest killer of impressions,and fortunately I don't have a problem with that. I also don't have to have my shinbones reduced,as nature did that for me ;) . I will go clean-shaven though, as I would have a gray beard. I've been doing a lot of research to be able to present a good impression,so I am hoping for the best.

Doug Price

Comment

Nothing ruins an impression more than gray hair.

Aaron,
              I dont know anything about you ......but this is just about the most least thought through statement I have ever heard on this board. I think you should remove your post and apologize for your statement.

Comment

p.s. Dale.... your funny

Nothing ruins an impression more than gray hair.... I stand by my statement.

Like I said before, this is my opinion.
                Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 12-31-2003, 03:04 PM.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by HOG-EYE MAN
                  p.s. Dale.... your funny

Nothing ruins an impression more than gray hair.... I stand by my statement.

Like I said before, this is my opinion.
                  Aaron,
                  And I by mine......

Comment

Re: Caution...

Hallo Kameraden!

While there have been some attempts to salvage and make this an informed and academic discussion worthy of the AUTHENTICITY DISCUSSION folder, there are also comments that border on the so-called "Militant Farb" realm and do not reflect the level desired or expected of the AC Forum.

I am locking it, with an admonition to reflect on why we are here and why we post here...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                    X