Kibler knapsack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kibler knapsack

I’m sure many people are familiar with the Kibler Knapsack. Is it true that the only 10th Virginia has documented sources proving that they carried them? Now if this is true then why are we seeing other units, i.e. Mississippi and Georgia, reenacting units allowing there men to carry them? How common were they? Were they early, mid or late war packs? Or both?

Re: Kibler knapsack

Travis,
    This knapsack is a Confederate copy of the US Mexican War pattern knapsack. There are a number of surviving CS knapsacks of this pattern (the Kibler being one of them), so the CS maufacturing facilities obviously made these in somewhat plentiful numbers, although with varying details. The Kibler knapsack differes somewhat from the Johnston knapsack (this one is also in the MOC collection), but they are both the same basic pattern.
    As to this specific knapsack, I can not answer with certainty that it's use was strictly limited to the 10th Va. Infantry. Since its design predates the WBTS, I can say that this pattern knapsack was used in both Armies (many US western regiments used this pattern in the early part of the War as well as the US Marine Corps) and was widely copied in the South.
    I use a Tim Welch made Kibler pack for my ANV impression many times, but also have another CS copy of this pattern (with a blackened leather harness) that I use for both ANV and AOT impressions. You might want to go with a CS copy of the Mex War pattern knapsack with a blackened leather harness (unlike the Kibler which has undyed straps) as there are a number of this type documented to most theatres of the War and would allow versatility. Nothing wrong with the Kibler, but it's use is limited to the ANV.
    Check out www.missouribootandshoe.com as Bob Serio makes a good CS pack of this pattern, and can make it with either undyed or blackened straps if you request it. Tim Welch also, as previously mentioned, makes a great Kibler pack.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Larry McIrvin

Comment

Travis,
      I forgot to mention this. If my memory serves me correctly, the knapsack id's to Mr. Johnston was on his back when the ANV surrendered at Appamattox. So, it is a good bet that this pattern saw use in the CS armies throughout the War.
      Cheers,
      Larry McIrvin

Comment

Comrade - go to the thread on photos of CS paroled prisoners and you will see a number of them with what appear to be Mex War knapsacks or copies thereof. As said above, the Kibler knapsack is just one of a number. We have hashed this subject many times on this board. There must have been many thousands of CS manufactured copies of this design and many thousands actually taken from US arsenals in the south. I frankly have no problem using the Kibler anywhere, east, west or TMD. It is a Mex War design and quite versatile.

One thing I think we often lose sight of in this hobby is the economics of army contracts. If someone is going to contract with the Confederate government to make knapsacks, it is a good bet he won't make 50 of them...or just enough for the 10th Virginia. More like many thousands. There were millions of federal issue shirts - very few survive, but there are differences in all. Millions of sack coats, canteens, jackets, etc....the Richmond Depot cranked out 225,000 jackets in 1864...you get the idea.
        Last edited by DougCooper; 01-02-2004, 01:04 AM.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
        X