Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First person

Gentlemen of the forum,
    I was looking for some advice in the manner of first person. 2004 will start my third year in the hobby and I feel I've come a ways in two short years and still have a ways to go. I've improved my physical impression and still continue to do so. But what I really feel is missing is a good first person impression. The units that I have been with have preached first person to its members, but never really followed into it. Now that some pards and I have formed a new outfit, one of the ways we want to make ourselves better than the groups we got away from is, of course, first person. I was curious if there is any literature that would aid me in developing period speech patterns and help with 19th century topics outside of just the war and politics. I know that many of us, as we attend various living history events that we take on the impression of a specific soldier of the unit being portrayed. Having said that, is the best thing for me to learn speech patterns and topics, and then add the name and occupation of the soldier being presented by myself? I would be thankful for the experienece and reputation of those on this forum to help me at my task.
    Your obedient servant,

Re: First person

Jim,

There is a discussion of just such a topic going on in the Civilian Discussions area under Authenticity Discussion. Many fine ideas have been put forth there and my recommendation would be to purvey those thoughts.

Hope this helps.

Fred Baker
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fred,
      Thank you for to input. I will take that nder consideration. I thought I would have little trouble in responses seeing how first person is such a big part of authenticity. But, you and one other under the Camp of Instruction forum have been the only ones to respond.

Comment

Jim,
        Here are another few things to consider. First where is your unit from, state, county etcc. What types of jobs did folks do there? Might be kinda hard to be a deep water fisherman in Vermont? What is your age? Might be hard to be a Bank President at age 18. What do you feel comfy doing? What life skills that have that you can use and relate to the 1860's?
        As for myself I was raised ranching. Although I dont ranch today, I still almost ride a horse in my job daily. In south Texas they cowboys we call today were called "stockman". Ive adpated that. I read extensively and researched on what the major companies were, where they were located and who ran them.
        Cattle for example here were raised for tallow and hides not for beef. Ive used little things like that to help me.
        Get a handle on what you enjoy, and how you use that to your advantage, as well as read, read, and read some more. Use period letters, diaries and other accounts. There is a Civil War Dictionary on terms thats a great help. Prehaps one day you can learn what "eating the dishrag" means.
        Dusty Lind
        Running Discharge Mess
        Texas Rifles
        BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

If you don't own it, get it: "Hardtack & Coffee" it helps give an idea of the thoughts and life of a Union soldier circe 1860-65. the descriptions of Jonahs & beats among other daily life items are priceless. Paruse diaries & letters to get an idea of the attitudes and do a good solid read of "The Life of Billy Yank" or "The Life of Johny Reb." THat will give you a good foundation to work from.

Good Luck
          Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
          SUVCW Camp 48
          American Legion Post 352
          [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Have to second the recommendation for Hardtack & Coffee. I've read through it I don't know how many times now and I still can't get tired of it. The Jonahs, the Beats... the High-Tempered Man when he's informed that he gets to assist with the 'horse funeral'... The recruiting rallies early in the War... that wonderful, slightly ponderous but still somehow mischievous Latinate style of writing from the Victorian period... Gotta have that book, Mr. Conley. Incidentally, our 'military careers' seem to be remarkably similar. I'd judge from your board name that you're part of a Kentucky outfit, as am I, and I've only been 'off to the War' one year longer than you have. Even our attitudes regarding authenticity and kinda 'where to go from here...?' seem similar. What outfit are you with, if I might ask? I know, the Bluegrass Rifles, but I was just kinda wondering if they're a Company or a Mess or...?
            Micah Hawkins

Popskull Mess

Comment

Working...
            X