Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Ives Diary and Letters

Gentlemen,
    Prior to the "Great Crash", I submitted the following excerpts from the Washington Ives Diary and Letters Collection:
    The following quotes are excerpts relating to materials and methods of soldiers of the Army of Tennessee from the letters and diaries of Washington Ives of the Fourth Florida Infantry edited and published by Jim Cabaniss. I highly recommend owning a copy of Mr Cabaniss’ work as it gives one of the finest and most poignant tales of life in the AOT. I have here, simply lifted out what I think are some of the most useful excerpts for those portraying soldiers of the AOT.

13 June, 1862. Montgomery, AL. “…I saw nearly 1000 men yesterday who had neither a musket or a bayonet in their lives.”
    6 July, 1862. Mobile, AL. “…I am under such discipline that I can’t leave the lines 2 hours in a day and am kept drilling or standing guard that I just get along and manage to get sleep enough for to be caught asleep on post one would be subjected to the greatest degree of punishment known in military law. A boy in our company was caught asleep on post last week and was kept on bread and water 3 days and to mark time 2 hours a day…”
    10 August, 1862. Chattanooga, TN. “ The Brass Band of the 3rd Reg’t plays very well and our band has been practicing under W.H. Crane from Tampa and does improve very fast having the instruments only once a week… Our rations are quite scanty now we only get ¼# flour 1# beef or 1# bacon eaten up by skippers and a little salt to the man every day and nothing else except 5 oz of sugar to the man every week and no soap. I do my own washing…”
    16 August, 1862. Chattanooga, TN. “…we are camped on the slope of a hill ( bank of small stream) near Lookout Mountain and you also remember this is a much cooler climate than Florida and instead of sand we have clay dust the least motion will raise it and our having to leave out tents exposes the privates to all kinds of weather…”
    17 August, 1862. Chattanooga, TN. “… all along the railroads as we came girls about your age threw us Confederate flags. Peaches and apples generally given to us also. … The 3rd Reg’t Brass Band plays tolerable well now for the time it has been learning… .
    I don’t think that the 4th Reg’t will move from where it is in under a month because our arms (muskets) heat so by firing that Gen. Ridgely is going to issue Enfields to our company and Mississippi rifles to the balance of our reg’t.”
    24 August, 1862. Chattanooga, TN. “The cavalry reg’ts here are looking finely and the New Orleans Battery (Washington Artillery) of Shiloh reputation presents a beautiful appearance. The 1st Fla. Had been camped near us for two weeks before they left. The men look like the rest of the Tupelo, perfectly seasoned, they have endured so much weather that they look wild… . Q.M. McKay has got enough tents to keep us comfortable until we move again and we may be paid in two weeks, he has drawn a uniform for us which will be issued out this week I guess. I guess it will cost us about $20 dollars a suit.”
    9 September, 1862. Chattanooga, TN. “… Our boys are drawing shoes and drawers the feeblest are drawing blue woolen undershirts at $2.11 a piece…”
    12 Sept., 1862. Chattanooga, TN. “… I have just drawn a pair of kersey pants for $2.62, 1 shirt $1.62, 1 coat of the same material as Mr. Burtcheatts’ suit for$5.25… . I tell you it is not fun to march over this country with a knapsack tied to your back and your gun cartridge box canteen and haversack in fact a soldier on the march resembles a pack mule and while you are expecting an attack you have to carry your cooking utensils but this is not much for a mess of 15 is allowed three pans (tin) the camp kettles are about the size of a blue bucket and it is impossible to cook anything in them nicely… my two homespun shirts last well, they are almost as good as new…”
    29 November, 1862. Murfreesboro, TN. “… I wish you would bring me the following articles, a pair of pants and a pocket knife, if there is one about the house, and I want a blanket or a piece of carpet. … The boys are all needing socks and pocket knives you can’t get a pocket knife (Barlow) for less than $2.00 and jeans pants sell readily for $15 - $30… If the ladies of Florida make up clothing for any troops I think the 4th ought to be remembered, for we nearly freeze, and do as much as any regiment now out. I would like a comforter for the neck and a pair of gloves…”
    22 January, 1863. Tullahoma, TN. “… On the 2nd I fired exactly 20 rounds and could have fired 30 if my gun had not got so dirty that I had to tear cartridges and wet every load of buck and ball and then I always stopped to take good aim as my officers will bear witness… A man named Brown Jones in my mess made me a good ear protector for my cap yesterday…”
    26 January, 1863. Tullahoma, TN. “ I have got my knapsack full of good clothes once more. I drew me a coarse pair of shoes and sold them for $4.00 and me a good pair for $8.00…”
    12 August, 1863. Camp Hurricane, MS. “… Capt. Langford Co. F hired two Negroes to wash for his company and made the men either wear their jackets or those who had no jackets go bare backed until their shirts were washed… common bar soap sells readily for $1.00 per inch…”
    19 August, 1863. Camp Hurricane, MS. “… I bathe regularly twice a week and I find it adds to my already good spirits.”
    6 September, 1863. Camp near Chattanooga, TN. “… I wish the people of Florida would make up a collection of little things such as black pepper, salt, sugar, soap etc. To send the boys out here, our reg’t is nearly destitute of clothing, shoes, hats and pants, but we will probably draw more soon… Our Brass Band is the best in this army it has been playing a piece which Katie plays ” Kissing through the bars or the soldiers farewell”…”
    9 September, 1863. Lafayette, GA. “…we are a dirty tired and naked set for ¾ of the men have not single pair of shoes and no drawers, only on shirt, hat and pair of pants a piece… if this army is not clothed soon it will be naked… I am in excellent health and have just eaten a mess of beans and baked apples…”
    21 October, 1863. Chickamauga, TN. “ Our reg’t is drawing some excellent clothing, jackets of Gray, blue cuffs, pants, shoes, caps, shirts, etc… .”
    31 October, 1863. Chickamauga, TN. “The army has drawn comfortable winter clothing and blankets, the coats are dark and light gray (mostly with blue collars and blue cuffs) the pants light and dark gray, similar goods to the jackets, it is worsted crop between cassimere and jeans, very warm and desirable,…”
    11 Novwmber, 1863. Chickamauga, TN. “the pants and jackets we received are of superior army goods. The caps and underclothing are miserable… quantities of new English blankets have been issued. A single one is large enough to cover a double bed and the texture is far superior to the blankets usually brought south with goods…”
    6 December, 1863. Dalton, GA. “our rations are better than usual we get a medium sized potato every two days our rations consist of ¾ lbs poor beef 1 lb flour 11/4 lbs of meal per day with enough salt for seasoning and 2oz of sugar every seven days.”
    12 April, 1864. Dalton GA. “The men play ball here a great deal.”
    14 April, 1864. Dalton, GA. “… The boys are killing time in camp by playing ball, which is such good exercise that it will fit them for fatiguing marches to be taken this summer… Maj. Lash ans Col. Badger often play at ball with the men…”
    7 May, 1864. Dalton, GA. “…the 6th Fla. Challenged the 1st and 4th for a game of Town ball the 4th accepted it and beat the 6th two games on the 3rd and one on the 4th. The 7th Fla. Then challenged 1st and 4th and on the 5th they played and made a tie game of 66 rounds 25 men on each side…”
    9 July, 1864. Chattahoochee River, GA. “Our whole brigade has been armed with beautiful new Enfield Rifles the night before and the boys were disappointed in not getting to shoot.”
    17 July, 1864. Atlanta, GA. “We are quit tired of bacon and cornbread without vegetables… Today I bought some cabbage and am waiting for them to get done…”
    16 September, 1864. Jonesboro, GA. “Gen. Bowen has had a general inspection of the division to see what is required in clothing etc… The troops are really shabbie dressed than they have been before in a year, because all they have is what they have kept with them on the long wearisome campaign.”
    17 September, 1864. Jonesboro, GA. “ We are very scarce of blankets and pieces of carpets are highly prized, the way most lost their blankets were being broken down on the march to save themselves from capture, they would throw away blankets in preference to clothes and many blankets were literally torn to pieces by shells and mine balls.”
    Peter Julius
    North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Re: Washington Ives Diary and Letters

Yes, the Ives Diary and letters are great, but it is far better to look at the original set that Cabanis hatch job, seriously til I saw the originals I thought his work was great, but he literally butchered the accounts to the point of chaning their meaning, including the wonderful October 63 account refering to clothing, actually the unedited version is cool and scary at the same time, lol. Ill try to dig up my post on that from before the Great Crash as well, think it got posted a few moments before the crash.

Lee
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lee,
      Are the originals at the University of Florida? I do remember you're having mentioned earlier that Cabaniss had butchered the material and I would love to see the actual stuff.
      Peter Julius
      North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

The original journals and letters of Washington Ives reside in the Florida Collection, State of Florida Library, in Tallahassee.
        James Permane,

15th U.S. Infantry/ 4th Fla. Vol. Inf'y

http://battleofolustee.org/

Comment

Here are the unedited quotes, notice the difference:
          October 21st, 1863, "Our Regt. is just drawing some excellent clothing. Jackets of kearsy, blue cuffs, pants, worsted indescribible, shoes, caps, shirts, etc."

October 31st, 1863, "The army has just drawn comfortable winter clothing and blankets. The coats are dark and light gray (mostly with blue collars and cuffs) the pants light and dark gray, similar goods to the jackets, but what kind of goods it is, I never have seen or heard, (I don't know) or even a person who could tell what kind of goods it is except it is worsted, a cross between cashmere and jeans, very warm and durable."

November 1st. 1863, "The pants and jackets are of superior army goods. The caps and underclothing are miserable but that is not as bad as having poor pants, shoes, etc. Quantities of new English blankets have been issued, a single one is large enough to cover a double bed, and the texture is far superior to the blankets usually brought south with goods."

Interesting differences.

Lee
          Lee White
          Researcher and Historian
          "Delenda Est Carthago"
          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Comment

Thanks for posting this. We have always assumed because of the blue collar and cuffs that these are Columbus jackets. Yet, Ives describes the jackets as being of Kersey. Wonder if these might be English goods instead? Any thoughts?
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Cant say for sure, BUT it could be a Columbus Depot made of imported goods, now that is opening a can of worms, lol.

Lee
              Lee White
              Researcher and Historian
              "Delenda Est Carthago"

Comment

I revive this thread because I post the question of terms used or meanings there of. There is a uniform issue on October 21st, 1863 for jackets, and an issue on October 31st, 1863 for coats... Now my point is that jackets and coats have come up in numerous accounts/diaries. Now this issue being so close together I would discern he was talking about a shell "jacket" and a frock "coat" or something similar. Why use very distinctly terms so close together why does he change his label just 10 days later from jacket to coat, not to mention it is winter time.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Last post before you 03-14-2007!!! revival revival, indeed.

I take part in the discussion also as a Zombie does in a fantastic world!!!!!

About Cabaniss.....is he a migrant? I mean does anyone know where does he come from, he's probably US native but Cabaniss sounds like foreign name? as Greek or Central Europe.....?
                  Pv. Adrien "Aubrey" Marzuola
                  French Mess

Comment

A couple thoughts here:

1.) Mr. Permane may have to clarify for me, but I believe IVes was either adjutant or perhaps sergeant major by late 1863. There may have been several issues over a couple weeks (hence accounts on the 21st and 31st of october).

2.) I have always interpreted the account to mean the 4th Florida was issued 4 separate jackets: 1) light grey jackets with blue collars and cuffs (the familiar jean cloth columbus depot jacket) 2) light grey jackets with no cuff trim (any number of CS jean cloth "depot" jackets 3)dark grey kersey jackets with blue collar and cuffs (the McRae papers and Entrepot make a BGK columbus depot jacket an item that may have existed) 4)dark grey kersey jacket with no trim (the Lyons jacket that is here in Columbia an "atlanta/charleston" depot jacket).

I have never seen an original, but we can not discount the concept of "western cs depots" aka columbus manufacturing jackets with blockade run english army cloth.
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

We know English cloth was getting to the west by the spring of 1863, I've seen QM records where AOT officers were getting bolts of "English Cloth" at $7.00 yd. Several QM's from Cleburne's Division were noted has having the material on hand.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Will,

I won't get to it for a few days due to finals, but I can post some of the bills of lading and manifests from Entrepot. Bales (about 500 yards) were coming into the South on a regular basis even as early as mid 1862. An awful lot of cloth was being turned into some fashion of garments.
                        Bryant Roberts
                        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Forget what I asked....I made a big mistake about Cabaniss. I thought he wrote the Diary!!!
                          Pv. Adrien "Aubrey" Marzuola
                          French Mess

Comment

My main question was in regards to the use of the words: coat and jacket, and the fact that he compared the material used in the pants issued on the 31st as being similar to "the jackets". I believe this stament to be referancing the jackets issued on the 21st, and not to the coat issued on the 31st, during the winter draw which is stated as what was drawn on the 31st. That coat could likely have been a Frock Coat and not a Shell Jacket. Also to be noted, is that the issue on the 21st of jackets is the fact he only refers to "blue cuffs" but on the 31st issue he refers to coats with "Mostly blue collars and cuffs"

October 21st, 1863, "Our Regt. is just drawing some excellent clothing. Jackets of kearsy, blue cuffs, pants, worsted indescribible, shoes, caps, shirts, etc."

October 31st, 1863, "The army has just drawn comfortable winter clothing and blankets. The coats are dark and light gray (mostly with blue collars and cuffs) the pants light and dark gray, similar goods to the jackets, but what kind of goods it is, I never have seen or heard, (I don't know) or even a person who could tell what kind of goods it is except it is worsted, a cross between cashmere and jeans, very warm and durable."

An example of the use of the two words can be found in the QM Records of the 45th Mississippi Infantryhttp://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...hlight=records

Papers of Capt. Thomas Conner, Co. A 45th MS Inf:

November 30th 1862:

3 Hats @ $3.00
                            1 cover $0.75
                            2 coats $8.25
                            5 overcoats $13.00
                            2 pair pants $6.00
                            6 cotton shirts $1.50
                            6 pair socks $0.50
                            1 blanket $2.50
                            1 pair shoes $3.50
                            4 pair shoes $4.00
                            13 pair drawers $1.50
                            1 Vest $1.50
                            8 Jackets $6.00
                            5 caps $1.30
                            3 pair shoes $4.50
                            4 pair shoes $2.50

Comment

Here is another example: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...hlight=Records

Papers of Capt. Hinkle 7th Missouri Infantry. (CS)

Oct. 29th 1862

6 Cass. Coats
                              5 Jeans Coats
                              30 Sattinet Coats
                              80 Kersey Jackets
                              30 pr Cass. Pants
                              12 pr Kersey Pants
                              10 pr Cottenade Pants
                              150 pr Shoes
                              20 Caps
                              80 Hats
                              14 pr Drawers