Navy and Marine Corps Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy and Marine Corps Discussion

I am curious to know if anyone has considered starting a Navy and Marine Corps Discussion area here for Federal and Confederate Naval topics.

Sam Kilborn Dolan
    United States Marine Corps Historical Company (Western Region)
    1st Texas Inf/45th Miss./8th Mo.
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: Navy and Marine Corps Discussion

I would be most interested in something like that, as I know there are a handful of fine progressive sea-service folk like Joe Blunt, Steve Hesson, Bobby Brown, and Bob Dispenzas that frequent this site, and the other forums that are out there I've found quite lacking in any progressive thought. I know that the majority of C/P/H reenactors often frown upon certain specialty impressions such as sailors and Marines, but with the proper guidance, research, and more importantly, the right place, they are impressions that can lend alot to historical interpretation. -Ross (also of the USS Fort Henry, East Gulf Blockade Squadron)
    Last edited by Ross L. Lamoreaux; 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

I'm glad you feel that way. I've always felt that there were some opportunities for expanding knowledge here. Perhaps it begins with discussion. I went to an event in California two months ago. The campaign unit I belong to was there, but I had to fall in with the Marines for a "junk on the bunk" oral history display. I was amazed at how many "campaigners" were mezmerized and completely unfamiliar with the Marine Corps uniform.

Seems that someone out there could do some bang up work on serious Navy and Marine impressions.

-Sam K. Dolan
      Samuel K. Dolan
      1st Texas Infantry
      SUVCW

Comment

I fully agree with Mr. Lamoreaux. I do remember a thread I read awhile back about possibly adding a Navy/Marine Discussion. I like the idea; I think the creation of a Navy/Marine Discussion on the AC is justified. During the American Civil War the navy played just as an important role through out the war as any other branch of the service. I have also recognized the amount of scrutiny directed at navy reenactors, there a people out there with accurate naval impressions, The creation of a Discussion thread could help the more "Progressive" navy reenactors develop and progress their impression. Accurate impressions of the sailors and marines of the United States and Confederate Navy are just as important as infantrymen, artillery and cavalry when it comes to portraying our heritage. No piece of our history deserves being left out.

With Respect,
        Steven Flibotte
        Steven Flibotte
        Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
        Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
        Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Discuss amongst yourselves:

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Amazing photo. There is certainly not a surplus of available images on CW Marines. The Nat'l Archives has a few, including the image of a Marine guarding Lewis Payne.

To follow up with some earlier posts. Perhaps your right, maybe an ongoing discussion would benefit those more serious Marines and bluejackets out there and would even further the research and interest on proper authentic uniforms and equipment. I have one of Joe Blunt's M1839/52 Uniforms - nice work!

Sam Kilborn Dolan
            Samuel K. Dolan
            1st Texas Infantry
            SUVCW

Comment

Speaking of Naval discussion, I just found this on Yahoo news. It is of a 139 year old ship wreck off the coast of Alaska - yes Alaska - that was carrying troops and supplies to set up the first outpost in Alaska. Very interesting. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071009/...hipwreck_found

Enjoy
              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
              WIG/GVB
              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I'll add support for more disscusion on the marines and sailors in the ACW. I've just finished the chapeter in "Joe Brown's Pets" on the Battle of Honey Hill in South Carolina in November of '64. The Federals had a detachment of sailors and marines on land with the USCT and white troops that ran into regular Georgia units, Georgia militia, the Georgia State Line, and some SC cavalry.

It is a very interesting fight.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Yes,

A detailed discussion on Sailors & Marines would be very interesting.

If your'e in Richmond-Petersburg area, a great place to check out is Drewry's Bluff. The Bluff was the site of a fortification manned by CS Marines and the site of the Confederate Naval Academy (along with the CSS Patrick Henry). Much of the works survive to this day!

During the war several (don't remember the precise number) CS Marines were struck by lightning on the Bluff and are today buried in Hollywood Cemetary.

I know of a few images floating around of the Bluff, the Patrick Henry, and also the obstructions placed in the James River just below the bluff.

It's not far off I-95 and is worth the trip out...it would be great to see a proper LH there!

Today the site is part of the Richmond NBPS.

Paul
                  Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  (Loblolly Mess)
                  [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Yes, Drewry's Bluff is an excellent site to visit for Naval enthusiasts of both sides, as I recall a US Marine won the Medal of Honor there. Many CS sailors from Savannah, including Robert Watson and other former Army of Tennessee soldiers turned sailor ended up there after the fall of Savannah (read "Southern Service on Land and Sea: The Journal of Robert Watson" for more on that).
                    Ross L. Lamoreaux
                    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Here is a link to info regarding Naval operations at Pittsburg Landing:

This is by Bob Dispenza & Chuck Viet

Jim Butler
                      Jim Butler

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the Marine in question repeatedly fired his musket from one of the portlids on the gun boat at a Confederate battery. I'm glad this topic is getting some discussion. If I am not mistaken, Rafael Semmes of CSS Alabama captured a number of US Marines en-route to the Mare Island Barracks in California, don't know too many of the details.
                        Sam Kilborn Dolan
                        Samuel K. Dolan
                        1st Texas Infantry
                        SUVCW

Comment

Maybe this brings live in this thread again!
                          We are doing CSMC & CSN (and beginning USN) here in Germany since 2008.
                          Maybe you want to visit our homepage ? For example you find a Gallery of CS Marines & a list of books, magazines and articles related to the CSMC there.
                          When the weather is good again I´ll make some pics with the actual used uniforms & equipment by me.
                          We also made a regulation for helping beginners in our unit to know what´s good and approved. I´ve to convert the newest edition (in german, but with a lot off pics) into .pdf
                          As I see some guys I know from fb pages are here too.

Sven Peters
                          Last edited by Ken Cornett; 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM. Reason: Full name missing.
                          Sven Peters

Comment

I'm out here in Cali, there's a group here that does a CSN/CSMC impression. I've got mixed feelings on this. As a "newb", I'm still learning. As a Marine, I REALLY want to do an impression, but, not wearing painters pants. Also, there's no real "battles" out here to invest in the effort.
                            A great and interesting topic, but, think I'll stick to my Texas unit.
                            Campaigner stuck in mainstream...

Comment

There is a fledgling Navy/Marine unit that was started by a progressive out in the Southern California area. They have a hook up with many of the tall ships that operate out of Dana Point and San Diego so they are able to practice their skills.
                              Pvt Craig Frangente

Comment

Working...
                              X