Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Federal 5th Corps image

Greetings,

Check out this very nice image of a cigar-chompin' Fed. His shirt is especially interesting.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Nice Federal 5th Corps image

Mark

Great image, thanks for posting it. The seller says something about the 25th Vols, I cannot at this point find any "25th" regiments in the 5th corps. But I will keep looking. Thoughts?
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

from the folds, it looks like he has his collar tucked inside and turned under. Perhaps it was somewhat frayed or such?
      Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Hi Leland,

Hard to say why he tucked his shirt collar in but this seems to have been a fairly frequent occurrence. Take a look at Pat Brown's new sack coat monograph: He includes an image of a soldier who tucked in the collar of his SACK COAT. One possibility explaining this practice might be that, in summer, tucking the collar in allowed more air to circulate around one's neck and, thus, provide more comfort. Or, conversely, men might have tucked in the collar so it wouldn't get as dirty.

Also note that the soldier has left his sack coat wide open, which is relatively unusual. I would suspect this image was made by an itinerant photographer out in the field. In any event, the image apparently can't date any earlier than Spring 1863 since the 5th Army Corps badge was reportedly not adopted until 21 March 1863.

Your thoughts?

Mark Jaeger
        Last edited by markj; 01-13-2004, 01:42 PM.
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Pards,
          The collar does not appear to be turned in but curled.
          Regards,Rick Harris
          Rick Harris

Comment

Re. the shirt being rolled under. I have seen this done in several period images, most often with overshirts. I have no idea why this was done, but I have seen it both military and civilian images.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Re: Nice Federal 5th Corps image (or is it?)

Hey All,

I was looking long & hard at that image (especially the Corps badge) and I was thinking that it might not be a 5th Corps image at all but an image of a soldier in the 19th Corps. Not to be contrarian here but the 19th Corps did have a very similar badge (it was a square w/thin bars cut out of the corners to give it a Maltese Cross look) and it was officially adopted in later 1864. Also, I almost had a perfect answer to the "25th Vols" question in that there was a 25th Connecticutt in the 19th Corps around the time of Port Hudson. However, the 25th mustered out in late 1863 so it kind of shoots that hypothesis in the foot. Also worthy of note is the backdrop in the image. Several years ago, the magazine "Military Images" did a study of backdrops used in military images and the one the soldier is sitting in front of is similar with ones used in many deep south images of Federal soldiers. But in any case it is a good, clean image of a Federal soldier in the field. Take care.

James Miller
              [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Good call James! You mean it isnt a CS flag? :D
                Robert Johnson

Comment

More Intruiging Information...

Hello All,

I was searching the Orders of Battle for the 19th Corps and there was a 25th Independent Battery of New York attached to the 3rd Division, 19th Corps during the war. The 25th NY battery was in the 3rd division and was left behind in Louisiana when the 1st & 2nd Divisions were sent to Virginia in the spring of 1864. The 25th NY battery served with the 3rd division till the end of the war and mustered out in August 1865 in Rochester, NY. Perhaps the "25th Vols" could stand for an artilleryman instead of an infantryman? Something to ponder. Take care.

James Miller
                  [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Rolling the shirt collar under makes sense to me. I've done it many times when I was tree-planting in the Deep South from '80 to '85. The reason was for more air circulation on my neck :)
                    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

19th Corps badge fer sure

Betya this image was taken in Louisiana and is indeed the 25th CT of the 19th Corps. Lots of photographers in New Orleans - in fact he reminds me alot of folks during mardi gras :D

A fantastic image that will be pricey when this auction is over...especially if enough folks think it is a CS flag. ;)
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I don't know. That hat badge is identical to the stamped cloth, first issue, 5th corps ones issued prior to Chancellorsville. I believe this guy is probably in the 25th New York Infantry, veterans of the Peninsula and Second Manassas, and a 5th Corps regiment. They were consolidated with the 44th NY just after Chancellorsville. He had plenty of opportunity to have a photo taken in the winter camps around Falmouth.

Bob Williams
                        Bob Williams
                        26th North Carolina Troops
                        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I know this is a long shot since it's been 11+ years since this thread started but did anyone happen to save a copy of this image? I'm researching the 25th New York and would love to see it. Images of enlisted men from this unit have been really tough to track down. Thanks!
                          Brendan Hamilton
                          Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Working...
                          X