• Wonderful Navy "Tar" cdv - EBay

If you have very deep pockets, this ID'd image can be yours:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Attached Files
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Wonderful Navy "Tar" cdv - EBay

I am curious as to what appears to be suspender buttons on his trousers? I have found one photo with the strip on the blouse and similar pants but that appears to be a different uniform then is common from the photos I know of.

Brian Schwatka
    Co. K 3rd US Regulars
    "Buffsticks"

Comment

The strip on this Sailors frock is a personal decoration with no other meaning. This was common on the uniforms that Sailors would wear ashore on liberty. These uniform decorations were NOT worn on duty.

The trousers are Army Trousers. This is very rare.

The thing to remember about Navy uniforms of th CW is that the only thing uniform about them is that they tended to be some blue fabric, and generally worn by Sailors. While the Navy did manufacture ready made uniforms for issue, each ship yard that had tailor shops made their own uniforms. The Navy did not get into the strict control of manufactureing that the Army did. This is due to the fact that the Navy knew that Sailors would have to make much of their own clothing from what ever they could get their hands on. Its all about the logistics of providing for a service that was intended to operate world wide.

Steve Hesson

Comment

Originally posted by sigsaye View Post
        The strip on this Sailors frock is a personal decoration with no other meaning. This was common on the uniforms that Sailors would wear ashore on liberty. These uniform decorations were NOT worn on duty.

Steve Hesson
        Ahh kinda like my liberty blues with the dragon embrodery on the inside of the cuffs. I knew the tradition went back that far but it makes sense. As for the pants I thought they may be either army or marine trousers. Cause I do know the flap pants go back farther then the civil war.
        Brian Schwatka
        Co. K 3rd US Regulars
        "Buffsticks"

Comment

Brian,
          That's just what it was, the forerunner of liberty cuffs. Actually, the Navy did away with the "Fall Front" trousers in 1859 and was issuing what were refered to as "Infantry Style" trousers. These were not actual infantry trousers, but had a fly front. They were still cut in the Naval style with wide legs and a deep size gussett in the rear. Most, if they had pockets were mule ear or welt type pockets. There were a few with side seam pockets, but hard to find.

Fall front trousers continued in use through the CW due to the fact that most clothing worn by Sailors was made by Sailors. They knew haw to make the fall front trousers, so continued to make them. They eventually became symbolic of Sailors, so they were the more popular style with Sailors as it made them stand out.

In 1886, the Navy made a hard push to standardize enlisted uniforms. Progressive forward thinking officers decided to actually ask the Sailors what they wanted. A novel idea for the time. The uniform that was decided upon then has been the basic style up to today, although with many changes over the years. After WW 2, they tried to put Sailors in a "IKE" Jacket style uniform that quickly dies, and then again in the early 1970s they tried to put us in officer uniforms which went away, always returning to the traditional style.

Steve Hesson

Comment

Well they are thinking about bringing back the old WW2 era dress kakis for officers and chiefs. Also they are thinking about putting the blue piping back on the dress whites. There are some major changes coming this year. No more dungarees we are going to blue back and grey digital cammies.
            Brian Schwatka
            Co. K 3rd US Regulars
            "Buffsticks"

Comment

Yeah, I still have family that are active duty chiefs. There never was blue piping on whites. There were dress whites that had the blue collars and cuffs with piping like the dress blues, but never blue (or black) on white.

Sailors in the USN wore blue collars and cuffs on their white frocks from 1820 until 1852 when it all whent white. Then the blue came back in 1859, and continued until 1940.

Undress whites like we know today came into service in 1893.

Steve Hesson

Comment

Reviving an old thread to add this photo of a sailor wearing suspenders on his fly-front wide-leg trousers.
                Attached Files
                Paul Boccadoro
                Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                X