For the Beginning Reenactor, Before You Buy a Thing! by Paul Calloway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Beginning Reenactor, Before You Buy a Thing! by Paul Calloway

For the Beginning Reenactor, Before You Buy a Thing!
    By Paul Calloway

Dear Reader – If you’re a beginning reenactor, a “fresh-fish” in the lingo of the Civil War, than this article is for you. This article is particularly for you if you’ve taken enough time to discover the difference between mainstream and progressive reenacting. If you recognize those two camps for what they are and would prefer to be in the latter, please read on.

Note that my purpose here is to tell you how to get started in Progressive Reenacting, not to debate the subtle or not-so-subtle differences between Progressive and Mainstream Reenacting.

What Should I Buy?

Hold the phone! Nope, if you’re fresh in the hobby you need to rephrase that question. Try it like this, “what should I read?” Yes sir, that’s the question you need to be asking. You are fortunate that a lot of good folks have already done an incredible amount of research and most of it is available through a connection to the World Wide Web. This is one source – but not the main one.

The main source for your information should be diaries, letters, first-person accounts, family histories, photographic evidence and dogged footwork. I urge you to never leave this resource out of your studies – this is what will be your guiding light when the world of reenacting politics has you scratching your head in confusion. This is the resource that bears little or no post-war corruption – lean on it, depend on it, learn from it.

Here are some resources for you to try to get your hands on:

Corporal Si Klegg and his Pard by Wilbur F. Hinman
    Hardtack and Coffee by John Billings
    Echos of Glory; US & CS

Whenever time allows, read. These are your textbooks. You’ll learn so much about the real life of a Civil War Soldier. Note that there’s nothing but cursory information in those volumes about Robert E. Lee, U.S. Grant, Abraham Lincoln or Jefferson Davis. You know why? You’re not reenacting those guys, you’re reenacting the lives of 3.5 million men and boys that turned their backs on home and hearth and waded waist deep into the bloodiest conflict this nation has ever seen. We don’t need any patronizing nonsense about Abraham Lincoln winning the war – he didn’t – it was boys not old enough to shave that won the war. And they won that war by defeating an Army of men and boys that should be immortalized as heroes and never as villains.

Your secular textbooks will never teach you this because it’s not politically correct. But living history and careful research will teach you the truth of the Civil War and a desire to do it right will overwhelm you and invigorate you with passion.

Trying to do it alone in this hobby is tough. Trying to do it alone and do it right is impossible. I encourage you to find a like-minded group or mess to help you along the way. In my experience the smaller the group the better. You’ll hear a lot of nonsense about the big groups having more resources to help you out – baloney, in a small mess you’ll get the kind of personal attention a fresh-fish needs.

Which Side do I Portray?

You’ve probably already made up your mind on this one. I encourage you to consider this – as of 1999 Confederates outnumber Federals by a ratio of about 3 to 1. If you want to be a Rebel, that’s fine, but when finding a mess to join, I encourage you find one that also is interested in portraying a Federal impression. Get over the nonsense about “my grandfather would roll over in his grave if…” They were ALL heroes!

How Do I choose a Mess/Unit?

There are a number of factors that will come into play when finding a unit to join. The primary factor is finding like-minded individuals that are interested in portraying Civil War Soldiers accurately. There are many units out there with nice guys that say they are interested in portraying Civil War Soldiers accurately…. and perhaps they are. However, saying you are a progressive/authentic and actually being one are two notably different things.

You should consider an infantry impression first. Depending on your situation you may choose to also consider Cavalry or Artillery. I caution you to tread carefully if interested in doing Zouaves, Marines, Regular Infantry and the like. This can be done right but often times is not.

Find units that have Authenticity Standards – read them. Compare and contrast those standards with the Authenticity Standards of other groups claiming a similar impression (ie. Western Confederate, Eastern Federal.)

Find units that have suggested Vendor Lists – read them. Compare and contrast those standards with the Vendor Lists of other groups claiming a similar impression (ie. Western Federal, Eastern Confederate.)

Find units that are willing to give you References – check on those references. Compare and contrast those references with those of other groups claiming a similar impression.

Some good groups to look out for in those references:

I would like to list some groups to beware of but would probably get sued or something.

Are you starting to get the concept now? There’s a lot of research to be done in this hobby – even down to which unit you will portray and which group of guys you will consider your pards. Only after carefully weighing and exploring to the fullest extent, all of these options should you even consider choosing a particular group. Remember, even real nice guys can be farbs (ie. Have poor impressions.) There’s few things more painful in the hobby then having to walk away from a group that you’ve called home because they can’t cut the grade. Do you research up front and this won’t happen.

Of course there is also the issue of geography. It’s preferable to find a group that is nearby – other members within an hours drive. This way you can travel together, get together for a coke sometime or just stay in touch without long distance phone calls. This is not all important though – there are plenty of examples of guys that live hours away that still participate at all the events… the internet and mass transit are wonderful things.

OK, that done should I jump right in?

Maybe not. It wouldn’t hurt you to go to an event first – still not having bought a thing. You should probably get in contact with the group you’re interested and express your desire to see them “in the field.” I don’t mean in a battle, I mean in the field – living as soldiers really did. You should know how they might have lived by now because you read all that stuff I told you to right?

Some of these groups do what’s called “first person” all the time. You may have to present yourself as a potential “fresh fish” unobtrusively. See if you can see who seems to be the leader in the group. Don’t necessarily look for stripes – look for the guy that looks the most like a civil war soldier. Ask him for a word in private and then tell him what’s on your mind.

What should I buy? (Part II)

OK, here we are again. Are you still with me? By now you’ve probably selected a group to join. Good for you. Look at this group’s Authenticity Standards and Vendors List – It will probably list a lot of names you’ve hear of and will probably read something like this:

I’m hesitant to list vendors to buy your equipment from because this list changes so often. These folks are good today, dried up and dead tomorrow – so please be wary if you are too far from the date which this article is being written (12/16/99)

Have your pards help you develop an impression that’s individual to you but melds with the group concept. Example: In certain Western Federal units there are not enough guys wearing black Hardee hats or perhaps it would be great if there was one guy wearing a top-notch forage cap – with the brim cocked up showing serious attitude. This is the kind of thing to determine before you rush out and start buying.

Some groups have winter projects in which they make things, or they may have a guy in the unit that makes great stuff but is not widely known. Take advantage of these resources whenever possible.

Unless your group has resources similar to those just mentioned, you’re probably going to spend $1,500 before it’s all done – but usually this can be done over a year or two. Note that even when buying from the worst vendors you’ll still spend $1,300 or more and end up with lousy equipment that is historically a joke. In December, 1999 - $1,500 is the price to do it right for an infantryman.

If you can’t buy everything at once, your pards will likely help you out with loaner gear. Get your jacket, hat and shoes right away if you can – plan on spending about $300. Next comes the pants and shirt – another $200. Now a canteen (w/ correct cover) and haversack and gum blanket - another $150. Leather Accoutrements and blanket $200. Rifle and bayonet $500. The last things you’ll buy are the tent-half, a knapsack, a soldiers watch (depending on your impression), a Bible perhaps, a hand-knit scarf – basically the things that make you an individual.

Am I done?

Not by the hair of your chinny-chin-chin. There’s a lot of work to be done yet. You say, “what now?” Research my man, read your butt off. Keep at it and try to keep your attitude in check. You may be an authentic now but you don’t want to bully the other folks around if you can help it. The farb you assault today could be the next up-and-comer in the authentic movement – who knows he might even surpass you! So don’t make enemies.

I encourage you to visit the Authentic Campaigner website regularly - it has links to dozens of articles on a variety of topics to help you with your impression. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 01-05-2019, 08:28 PM.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: For the Beginning Reenactor, Before You Buy a Thing! by Paul Calloway

Oh my God!!! Why did I not know of this before? Thanks for the great information. I just wish I had read it sooner :( Ah well live and learn.

Sam R Hardy

Comment

anywhere to find updated links for homepage(s)?
      Aron Price
      AG

Comment

Jeepers. Go to the home page, http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...elinks.php?c=6
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

yea..I goofed on missing that one...have the forum set AS the homepage so I missed the vendors...thanks
          Aron Price
          AG

Comment

My boys, like many teen age boys grow inches overnight. This article has helped us stay focused in buying equipment. Yes you may have to spend 20-40 percent more for the "right-stuff" but it saves you money when you get to the bottom line, and aids in selling the gear.

Comment

Dale:
              My nephew started coming to events with me when he was 14 and has been growing like a weed ever since. I know your pain!
              One thing that helps is that, when you buy the "good stuff", the resale price is a much higher percentage of the purchase price, so keeping young ones dressed is actually LESS of a financial burden than if you buy the crappy stuff just to "save money".

On another topic:
              I think the following was sage advice from Bro. Calloway soooo many years ago:
              You say, “what now?” Research my man, read your butt off. Keep at it and try to keep your attitude in check. You may be an authentic now but you don’t want to bully the other folks around if you can help it. The farb you assault today could be the next up-and-comer in the authentic movement – who knows he might even surpass you! So don’t make enemies.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

"Read your butt off"

And that . . . . right there, is what I see as the greatest hurdle to many I meet which are new to the hobby. Too many want to join in, but are too lazy to put in any work. Reading/research is cheap if you have access to a decent local library, much less primary sources on the internet.

Great advice overall though.

Warren
                Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                Former Mudsill
                Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I am a new person and am finding this article quite helpful.

It would be useful if the links in the article, many of which are dead, were updated.

Thanks,
                  Steve
                  Steve Sheldon

Comment

I will volunteer to update the links... hope no one minds!

The 33rd Wisconsin
                    The Cracker Company (not found)
                    The Rowdy Pards
                    The Southern Guard
                    The Campaigners (not found)
                    The 1st Minnesota
                    The 42d Indiana (not found)
                    The 49th Ohio (not found)
                    The 10th Texas (not found)
                    Cleburne’s (not found)
                    Army of the Pacific
                    The Mudsills (I am under the impression that the Mudsills split... I know that a few of the members of the 33rd Wis are former Mudsills)
                    The Skulkers
                    The Stragglers (not found)
                    The Rockport Mess (not found)
                    The Bully Boys (not found)
                    The Critter Company (Cav) (not found)

Obviously the best most up to date vendor info can be found on the Approved Vender List, but here are the updated links for the ones mentioned in this article.

Chris Daley (General Line – mostly US)
                    Nick ************ (General Line – mostly US) (not updated due to obvious reasons... he's still around though)
                    Charley Childs (Uniform Kits, Blankets, cloth)
                    Ben Tart (General Line – mostly CS)
                    Tim Allen (hats) (I believe he retired)
                    Moore & Company (Leathers) (not found)
                    Quartermaster Woolens (Blanket) (not found)
                    Missouri Boot & Shoe
                    Lodgewood (Muskets)
                    Nancy Eddins (Shirts, drawers, socks)
                    Sullivan Press (Miscellaneous articles)
                    Last edited by Cyclesmith; 06-22-2011, 11:00 PM.
                    Todd Reynolds
                    Union Orphan Extraordinaire

Comment

My two cents worth: this was something of a trip down memory lane, been in the hobby about 11 years
                      and was fortunate enough to fall in with a band of rogues who steered me to the quality stuff right off
                      and it has served me well (aside from resale on authentic, nobody has mentioned the durability of quality
                      made garments and traps ~ this is possibly more important if you plan to stay in the hobby and USE this
                      in the field. The cheap stuff falls apart. I still use all of the clothes I started with, except for one RD II that
                      got too tight on me, sold it to a good pard in my mess.
                      Hats ~ Tim Bender or Greg Starbuck. Cannot go wrong with either. Measure your head ACCURATELY,
                      not tight or loose, and you will get a good fit.
                      Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                      James C. Schumann
                      Mess #3
                      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I learned that S&S sutler will be carrying Tim Allen hat soon. Contact Tim for details.
                        Brad Ireland
                        Old Line Mess
                        4th VA CO. A
                        SWB

Comment

Yes- S & S Sutler has Tim Allen hat, Paul Smith caps, and Greg Starbuck kepis.

Greg Starbuck
                          The brave respect the brave. The brave
                          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Great information. I am a pretty "fresh fish" to this end of the hobby and this is really helpful. I wish I would have found this sooner.

Guess I need to practice my "search the forum" skills.

Thanks Paul.
                            Rich Libicer
                            Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
                            4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
                            6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
                            4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
                            21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
                            5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
                            Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

I made the mistake of not reading before buying, so now I have all this Made in Pakistan clothing and blankets filling up my closet. I've finally started to read before buying a certain article of clothing, although I mostly window shop anyways. I am currently writing down all I know in Microsoft Word and printing articles off the forum so I can look back on them when the time comes. Thanks to all who took the time to research, write and post all the articles and links.

Also, I have not been able to find the Southern Guard's website anywhere. Did they sell their domain or did they split?
                              Last edited by The Chesterfield Rifleman; 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM.
                              James Peli

Comment

Working...
                              X