No announcement yet.

A Dozen Inexpensive Ways to Improve Your Personal Impression: By Cal Kinzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Dozen Inexpensive Ways to Improve Your Personal Impression: By Cal Kinzer

We may want to revise part of this. At least for eastern Federals.

CRRC2 makes a fairly persuasive argument for the use of some hat brass and corp badges. Their documentary eveidence seems to support that a majority of the soldiers ahd something (although definitely) not everything on their hats.

The secret is to have appropriate stuff on your hat for the scenario. It really isn't that expensive to have multiple Corp badges of company letters or even regimental Numbers for your hat.
    Bob Sandusky
    Co C 125th NYSVI
    Esperance, NY

Comment

Obviously everyone has there own opinions and each unit there own practices, but I think the last point of the non-descript soldier is an excellent point. This is a great place for one to start on a better impression for free.

Comment

I'm fairly new to this forum but not new to living history, etc.

From my point of view, you honor the men you are portraying by dressing and acting appropriately for a particular window in time. In many cases you have enough photos, diaries, letters, equipment issue documentation, etc. to establish what most of the men would have been wearing and thinking about for any given time and place.

I sometimes stop and ask myself what the original members of my regiment would think of my/our portrayal of them... Would they feel honored or disgraced?

How many of us feel confident enough to be able to go back in time and fall-in without anyone being able to notice us? What would give us away?

Just some thoughts...
        Chip U.
        21st OVVI
        SCAR
        Chip Uhlir
        SCAR

Comment

Despite the disagreements of some about a few of the points in the article, I found it to have a lot of useful information, overall.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][SIZE="3"]James Cannon[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sons of Confederate Veterans, Henry Watkins Allen Camp #133 (Baton Rouge, LA)[/FONT]
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Louisiana State Militia, 10th Brigade[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]“The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” [/I][/FONT]

Comment

I know Cal. I have fallen in with Cal. He is a bit quirky but a right good fellow even though once at a dog and poney show in Oklahoma he got all bent out of shape about my boys possibly drawing rammers. Like Paul said, it is a journey tinged with nostalgia to read what old Cal wrote. Read it as coming from one of the old timers that helped move the hobby forward even if you don't agree with what he wrote. By the way, Cal is still alive.
            Tom Yearby
            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

As I recall, one of the funnier things about that article (if it's the same one I'm thinking about) was the photo of his pards, and they were committing about half of those "violations" he had previously mentioned. No doubt, Cal served where he was needed!

I still have that CCG issue around here somewhere, from the good ol' days of bloused trows. May have to dig it up again, for a dose of nostalgia.
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Yes-I met him a couple of weeks ago on a dark Friday night at Brice's Crossroads-he dropped by our camp in search of Beasley's bunch-don't know if he ever found them, but didn't see him the rest of the weekend. Of course, Beasley's tale is already well discussed.
                Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Nope you have two articles mixed up. The article you are refering to was written by Steve Olsson and Jeff Boorom. Both Hairy Nation Boys. The one part is about going to root beer stands. Now this was before EBUFU, AC any of that was ever thought of. For years we were blamed for ruining events because of our impression. We even shake at heads at some of the article. But we were young. There were only a handful of people doing what we were doing at that time.
                  Just so you know we stopped going to root beer stands about 1995. But Little Johns root beer was damn good! :tounge_sm

Cal is a friend of mine. He will be at Lost Tribes. The article was written way before the authentic movement took root. Days when the Mudsills were eating young. :wink_smil

My family and I just moved to a new home. I found the journal I use to keep about activities with the 12th Iowa. (My old unit) I had to laugh about how worried I was when I decided to go campaign style. The year 1994. Was I perfect? No I was not. But I continued to work on my impression as did my pards.

I think we owe people like Andrew Goode, Paul McKee, Scott Cross, John Wedeward, Cal Kinzer , Darius Walker a lot of credit for what they did 15,20 and 25 years ago. Without their guidance the authentic side would not be where it is today. (I am sorry I am not familiar with eastern people or confederate re-enactors from the old days)

Many people are quick to poke fun at what was written or how things were done years ago.
                  Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM.
                  Nathan Hellwig
                  AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                  "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

The article I'm referring to was definitely written by Cal. It appeared in CCG sometime around '92 or '93 or so. I just didn't know if there was another, perhaps revised, one which may have appeared sometime at a later date.

I also remember seeing him on one of the covers, and thinking how good his impression actually looked.
                    Last edited by Gallinipper; 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM.
                    Rich Croxton

Comment

Oh. Well our article was good and bad. Very much mid 1990's.

Take care,
                      Nathan Hellwig
                      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Don't you worry Nate, we'd heard of you boys too.... :D

(That root beer was pretty decent. It was guys turning their bottles into makeshift canteens that I couldn't stand!)
                        Rich Croxton

Comment

Oh, we didn't do that. Thank GOD!

Holler
                          Nathan Hellwig

Comment

I have to agree with Tom. I know Cal, and count him as a friend, and while he may have some eccentricities, don't we all? From knowing him, he is very knowledgable, thorough, and documents all that he says and does. So, from knowing him and falling in with him several times, I have to think that he certainly wrote this for some progressive folks trying to improve their impressions as mentioned by someone earlier. I remember reading this before I knew Cal, and thought it had some great advice. But it is, an editorial.
                            Frank Siltman
                            24th Mo Vol Inf
                            Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                            Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                            Company of Military Historians
                            Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I also know Holler and have fallen in with him and Cal was there, so I got a double dose of quirky.:)
                              Tom Yearby
                              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I think some perspective needs to be given here. Paul states early in this thread that Cal's article is posted as "nostalgia" more than current advice. I have seen some version of this in writing since about 1980, so those that say this goes back 15 years ago are only scratching the surface.

When I started reenacting, 1976, men like Gatlin, Hudson, Elmore, Guffey and a few others were pushing authenticity among western CS units. On the other side of the field were the Mudsills, which Cal was a part of along with guys like Brian Baird and Tom Rock. Cal even eventually came to be a member of the group I was in back then, Cleburnes. The hallmarks of an authentic CS impression in the mid-70's was wearing a wool uniform, carrying a three-band musket and using Hardee's drill. Recruits were given all the cautions Cal put on paper. It was a consensus position at the time.

So, when people read this today, they want to disagree with it because there has been tremendous research and education since the early '80's. Taken in context of its origins, it was simply good generic advice to any reenactor who wanted to look more authentic at any given event. There was no cph side of the hobby, we only one circuit of events and 300 people total at an event was considered pretty good sized until the North/South 2 filming and the 125ths.

So, let's all back up from the criticism a bit and acknowledge that this bit of writing is essentially the cph hobby's "Dead Sea Scrolls". It is OUR history, not Civil War History and it is a source document that helped propel some folks on to do bigger and better things and greater research. It deserves to be remembered for what it was then, not the limitations it presents now.

And, Cal Kinzer is a good guy. I've known him for probably 25 years now. Here is a photo of me, Cal and Jim Butler at officer's mess during the 2005 Shiloh event:
                                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                                X