X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current State of Authentic Civil War Living History

THE CURRENT STATE OF AUTHENTIC CIVIL WAR LIVING HISTORY

By Eric Tipton

There has been a lot of talk in recent years about "The Death of Civil War Reenacting", especially since the conclusion of the 150th events. The narrative goes something like this: "With the retirements of aging Baby Boomers, recent press about taking down Civil War monuments and lack of new Civil War pop culture, we are losing more people than we are gaining". I am happy to report that on the authentic living history side of the ledger, this is decidedly not the case. In fact, we are growing and getting stronger. Allow me to elaborate.

THE 150TH EFFECT

In hindsight, the 150th Anniversary events did not help authentic living history. In my opinion, those events, in which we raised adjuncts, hurt us. For five years, the "mega" events monopolized our schedule. There were some obviously successful efforts, such as the 15th Iowa at Shiloh in 2012, Murray's Brigade at Gettysburg in 2013 and 40 Rounds at Bentonville in 2015. While these adjuncts were excellent for us, the benefits went to the organizers and not to us. Now, I am not saying that we shouldn't have done the adjuncts. We had to do them and did so with our usual zeal. For many of us, these events were some of our best memories in recent years. But you can see where I am going with this. There is a reason we call our circuit "Events By Us, For Us". The 150th Events were neither and they left us with some unfortunate side effects.

It is my observation that one of the negative "by-products" of the 150th efforts was the desire to raise brigades instead of battalions. The thinking was that coming out of the 150ths, we would raise larger numbers to justify this arrangement even though prior to the 150ths, as a community, we were successful using a "battalion vs. battalion" model. In essence, we adopted a mainstream mentality where commanders took precedence over men. Instead of planning from the bottom-up, we started looking at things from the top-down. Going forward, I strongly believe this is a mistake. I will elaborate on this point a little later, so hold that thought.

GROWTH IN AUTHENTIC LIVING HISTORY

If you look at our overall numbers today vs. ten years ago, we are not shrinking. Quite the contrary. We are growing - both in the number of events and in the number of men. What is missing compared to years past is cohesion. This cohesion is created by individuals within our hobby thinking big and putting together "national" efforts. This year, there are twelve different EBUFU events plus two adjuncts. We are beginning to see event-planning occurring 2-3 years into the future again. These things are important and a testament to our growth.

After the 150th "hangover" the number of EBUFU events dwindled, for the reasons I have already stated, but today we have fully-recovered. There are younger living historians who are actively stepping up to organize events. The 150ths were a "Swan-Song" for many older reenactors. This was their final bucket list. They had been through the 130th, 135th, 140th and 145th anniversary events and some for even longer. The 150ths represented their final cycle. That is natural. That is fine, but the worry was that there weren't enough people coming into the hobby to replace them. Well, look around. We have a full slate of events to choose from, all over the country. But will small living histories fit-the-bill? Will these events fuel future growth? Yes and no.

As many have pointed out, these regional living histories will always be a strong foundation for what we do. These, in my opinion, have replaced the people we used to draw out of the mainstream adjuncts. For years, we went to large mainstream events and this was our chance to shine. I can't count how many times I have been a part of a large battalion that proudly stepped out onto the field of a "mega event". I can also vividly remember being a part of a mainstream battalion in 2002 when the 105th Ohio streaked across the field at Perryville. "Wow", I thought. "THAT is what I want to do." What a great recruiting tool it was for the authentic living history community. It was the best way to "lead by example". Show them. Don't tell them. Back in those days, this model worked very well for us. In 2018, not so much. The current slate of living histories are a fantastic way to grow authentic living history in each region. They are the building blocks for our current schedule.

AUTHENTIC VS. MAINSTREAM - "WELCOME TO THE SOCIAL MEDIA AGE"

While the EBUFU events continue to attract younger people and those younger people step up to organize events, I am not seeing the same thing happen on the mainstream end of the spectrum. Many times over the last few years, I have asked myself "why is that?" "Why are mega events decreasing in size so dramatically?" Can anyone disagree that they aren't? When I interviewed the Mudsills in July of last year, I was truly awed to hear about 20,000 - 30,000 people at mega-events. Concurrently, the Mudsills were consistently putting large battalions in the field. If you watched my interview with them, you will notice that I was intrigued about this dynamic just as much as they were interested to hear about the EBUFU events that go on today. Things have certainly changed. Back in the day, we could count on the mainstream to generate large numbers. Out of those numbers, we were born. Today, this is not how it works, because the mainstream is dying. I don't think this can be contested. But why?

I think that the outside factors affecting interest in the Civil War are directly affecting mainstream reenacting. These factors include, but are not limited to the following, now-familiar narrative: What is taught about the Civil War in schools, the monument controversy, aging baby boomers, modern redefinition of the war and last and most importantly, SOCIAL MEDIA. Correct me if you think I am wrong, but authentic living historians made a seamless transition into the world of social media that I haven't seen from the mainstream. Almost overnight, authentic events started Facebook groups. Recruiting efforts spread rapidly through our social media network. Debates left the forums and went to social media. This is why I felt it was so imperative that The Authentic Campaigner capitalize on this new trend. This is why it was a primary focus of the revitalized AC to have a large presence on Facebook. We needed to be there because that is where everyone is. Right? How did you arrive at this post? I'll bet it was social media.

While we took this leap into social media, I further recognized the absolute need to centralize information for the authentic hobby. While social media is an outstanding and indispensable platform, it also encourages a fragmentation of information. This is why you have seen so much emphasis on the event schedule for 2018 at the AC. Have you seen a central gathering place for information on mainstream events? What replaced Camp Chase? Does mainstream reenacting still rely on print media? Isn't that medium dying on it's own?

CONTINUING GROWTH OF OUR HOBBY GOING FORWARD

When I see new blood at events, more event offerings and savvy social media marketing, I see a hobby that is not only not dying, but continuing to adapt and grow. I see a strong foundation for the future. I see a community that is no longer dependent on it's larger sibling - the mainstream reenacting community to attract recruits. I'm going to come right out and say what I have been telling many people privately for the last couple of years. With social media, the authentic living history community can go straight to our market without having to rely on the mainstream to generate interest. If there is any one reason why authentic civil war living history is growing, it is this. The model used by the Mudsills and Cleburnes and other organizations for years no longer applies. In other words, we don't necessarily need to rely on the mainstream any more. In many ways, we have accomplished our goal to become more self-sufficient. This is a great thing.

As a community, I only see one further step that needs to occur, which was more pronounced ten - fifteen years ago. We need to make an effort as a community to coalesce around our own larger efforts, otherwise known as "National" events. In the past and for years, The Western Independent Grays (WIG) provided this leadership for larger events. The WIG usually had 2-3 "max effort events each year" and each year, an opposition, mainly from the Midwest, was ready to oppose them - much like the days when Cleburnes opposed the Mudsills.

A caveat to this is what I mentioned earlier. For the time-being, we are much better-off doing battalion vs. battalion events. It is where our numbers are right now. We have not the ability to raise two solid battalions just like we always have. Hopefully, the time will come where the need for brigades will be obvious. I am confident that this will happen, but it should be on our own terms and not because it was something that we did as a result of the 150ths. I believe the time for brigades will come when we can attract 800 folks to an EBUFU event.

So, how are we doing as a community? The state of Authentic Civil War Living History is strong and will only become stronger if we can focus on working together to continue to build our OWN larger events. Keep doing what you are doing folks. Utilize social media. Use it to be a missionary for our cause. The AC will be here to trumpet and magnify your efforts. You can be well-assured of that.

So, what are your thoughts about future growth? What else can we do as a community to continue this momentum? What ideas do you have for larger-scale EBUFU events?
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 07-20-2019, 10:32 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: The Current State of Authentic Civil War Living History

in full agreement with you eric well said.
    Robert Ryan

Comment

Hallo!

Excellently said. And very true.

It is an evolution whose time had come, is come. And will move beyond the (failed, IMHO) "Islands in the
      Mainstream" model toward what I feel the true EBUFU model started out to be.

Curt
      Heretic Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I’ve got a few things to hit on with this topic. First, I agree that the adjunct laced 150th Cycle was by and large a bust. I do have some great memories from Perryville, Shiloh, Raymond, Gettysburg and as hard as it is to admit, even Shiloh. I think some good did come out of the cycle. People who had a reserved place card in leadship positions in this hobby for decades cycled out and moved on to something else. This has given a chance for the Walter Cooks, Joe Knights and the Tyler Underwood’s and with me stepping aside the Brian DesRochers of the hobby to take over. Not to say guys like Herb Coats and myself are done, but the tank has less in it I would say. I named all of those guys for a reason- while other people were focused on adjuncts the core of the hobby was still moving forward. The same groups that have hosted regional things for the last 10-15 years- The SCAR, Armory Guards and Independent Rifles still kept on doing what they have always done- created unique and better experiences for a true living historian, all in distinctly different styles.

I don’t think the hobby is dying, I think it’s evolving. This year marks 17 years of doing campaign events for me. I’m not old, but I’m not as in as good of shape as I was and frankly I don’t care to be miserable for no point than to attempt to prove something of a manhood test to anyone. I personally had that happen twice this year. Want to keep people around? Stop being judgmental. I’ve done a lot of apologizing over the way I treated new guys, or the way they perceived I was treating them. I’m not very talkative in person unless I know you. And typically when I do speak it’s not exactly in a kind tone. I’ve realized that over the years and attempt to correct it, especially now that I have a child. That’s the last point- a lot of the guys I started with or ran with don’t have the time. I look at company pictures from the IRs Gaines event and see guys that have died, gotten married, had kids, changed careers or don’t care. Want to know how to keep those guys interested? Call them, they are still your friends.
        Last edited by coastaltrash; 01-14-2018, 02:32 PM.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Eric, in what form might this this hobby continue to grow? Are you simply envisioning larger events because mainstream, shoot-em-up weekends are dwindling? People interested in the Civil War would have no other option than to buy a decent kit and come to these AC events? What result would then come from social media based recruitment efforts? And, is the end goal better, research driven groups of living historians? Or several hundred or thousand rank and file in wool that can shoot black powder?

The 150th cycle was not great. In fact, I put everything down after 2015 until recently. Much of that was due to real life, while a significant awareness of really bad events left me wanting nothing to do with being in the field. Should one choose, a search of the forums will attest to the debate over adjuncts even before 2011. I still have yet to see folks that argue for adjunct recruitment provide any actual results. My take was always simple. I left battle re-enacting for better, authentic experiences. Why go back? There is still plenty of opportunity to recruit without having to raise a battalion and actually participate in the circus.

Simply reading the AC in recent months shows that the hobby has changed. Apparently, these new guys are seeking guidance on how to be a reenactor and claim there is no more research to be shared or anyone making an authentic overcoat. This is strange to me. I’m not sure when the goal became being a better reenactor as opposed to learning what the actual soldiers did and how they did it. Echoing what I’ve said previously, battle reenactments are the least, the least, YES, the least authentic aspect of any event.

As the hobby grows, what direction does it then take? Quantity versus Quality.

New guys,
          Read a book. Go to trade shows and museums. Examine original artifacts. Study photos. Read primary source materials. Find a mentor. And, stay the %@&+ away from social media.
          Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Jim:

I will address your post point-by-point:

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Eric, in what form might this this hobby continue to grow? Are you simply envisioning larger events because mainstream, shoot-em-up weekends are dwindling? People interested in the Civil War would have no other option than to buy a decent kit and come to these AC events? What result would then come from social media based recruitment efforts? And, is the end goal better, research driven groups of living historians? Or several hundred or thousand rank and file in wool that can shoot black powder?

I think I was pretty clear about how it will grow and it isn't really any different than what we did in the past, other than the fact that today, the delivery system has changed because of social media. Yes, the goal is to promote our better-researched events. For years, we have been able to attract anywhere from 30 guys for living histories up to 500 for battle scenarios. Not re-inventing the wheel here. As I pointed out, the living histories serve as smaller, regional efforts that potentially feed into larger efforts 2-3 times per year. Wauhatchie registered over 700 people. I don't think it is unreasonable or a stretch to register 800 as a goal.

The 150th cycle was not great. In fact, I put everything down after 2015 until recently. Much of that was due to real life, while a significant awareness of really bad events left me wanting nothing to do with being in the field. Should one choose, a search of the forums will attest to the debate over adjuncts even before 2011. I still have yet to see folks that argue for adjunct recruitment provide any actual results. My take was always simple. I left battle re-enacting for better, authentic experiences. Why go back? There is still plenty of opportunity to recruit without having to raise a battalion and actually participate in the circus.

It sounds like we agree here. I too left the mega event circuit. We all did. That's why we are here, right? This article is all about going forward. The point is that we now have tools to do this that we didn't before.

Simply reading the AC in recent months shows that the hobby has changed. Apparently, these new guys are seeking guidance on how to be a reenactor and claim there is no more research to be shared or anyone making an authentic overcoat. This is strange to me. I’m not sure when the goal became being a better reenactor as opposed to learning what the actual soldiers did and how they did it. Echoing what I’ve said previously, battle reenactments are the least, the least, YES, the least authentic aspect of any event.

Our goal is to promote research and doing it right. Doesn't a person become a better reenactor by learning what the actual soldiers did? So, no disagreement here. As far as battle scenarios, we have always done EBUFU battle scenarios and the whole point of the article is about moving forward with our own events rather than rely on adjuncts for recruiting. Not advocating ditching the living histories at all. Agreed.

As the hobby grows, what direction does it then take? Quantity versus Quality.

Quality. Again, I don't think working toward 800 people in the field for a "national" effort is a huge stretch. If we do this in conjunction with the regional living histories, it isn't really any different than what is already happening.

New guys, Read a book. Go to trade shows and museums. Examine original artifacts. Study photos. Read primary source materials. Find a mentor. And, stay the %@&+ away from social media.

Absolutely agree about research, looking at original artifacts, and primary source materials. For Missionary Ridge, we are heavy into the Official Reports and diary accounts as we write the script. How cool is it that we get to go out and do what they did? Research is fun! ;)

As far as social media is concerned, I don't think anyone puts that genie back in the bottle at this point. It is here to stay. I should say though that I see many of the people in our community posting photos or original artifacts, research and the like on social media. Yeah, the downside is that you have to wade through a lot of social media debris to find it, but it is there.
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

As a new guy, I am quite interested in events like the wagon escort up in Wyoming. There were only a handful of battles out west (the real west, not the Western Theater), so events like musters and fatigue/detached duty would be interesting. What I would love to see is events focused on the forts (within a reasonable drive from Santa Fe), to let people go through the daily life of a garrison in the 1860s. There are two historic sites with rebuilt barracks within a very short driving distance from me, Fort Garland and Fort Stanton.

As for Patrick Landrum's post, sharing information is a matter of good customer service, which is just as valid when working in a store as it is when volunteering at an event or when speaking with members of one's group. I have found that if I dictate the correct facts to visitors at my museum, their eyes glaze over and they get irritated. When I share something that is exciting or interesting and show enthusiasm, they want to find out more and are willing to shed their preconceived notions about the past.
              Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
              Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Eric,
                I understood your post. The hobby needs folks with your abilities and ambition to make such events a reality. I only aim to pose reasonable questions to encourage actual progress and caution against an unconvincing outcome.

I realize that social media is not going anywhere. I get it. An organization can host an event page without the cost of owning a domain and it makes communication easy and immediate. I begrudgingly participate for these reasons. The concern, though, is the social media culture/mindset/approach begins to be applied to a hobby that used to require folks to learn about what they were doing. For example, scroll through any of the pages that buy, sell, and trade gear. I guarantee within minutes you will find an ad that reads something to the effect of, “Campaigner quality sky blue trousers. Size XX. Visible hand stitching. Unknown maker. My pard’s sister’s cousin says may have been made by Wambaugh.” Now, the guy selling the trousers just told you a lot about his knowledge and experience level, didn’t he? He inadvertently told everyone reading his ad that he hasn’t the slightest clue as to why his, maybe, W&W trousers are “campaigner quality.” He couldn’t tell you the first thing about uniform production, contracts, what original example the trousers may have been replicated from, and/or which unit impression(s) best apply and when. He only knows that the trousers might be authentic because there is visible hand stitching and his friend told him where to buy them. And, that’s fine if you’re just starting out and someone that knows what they’re doing pointed you in the right direction. But, social media is laden with these types. It’s not their fault. They don’t know any better. How can you fault someone for contributing to the laziness enabled by social media when no one is telling them otherwise? Much less promoting it?

Remember when we used to debate over whether or not the internet killed the hobby? This very forum was the subject of that debate for some time. Obviously, the internet did not kill the hobby. But, a reasonable argument could certainly be made that its merit was severely damaged. The opposition would argue that the internet and the forum weakened the overall level of quality in the hobby. It provided an avenue to welcome less experienced folks under the pretense of recruitment, progress, and information sharing. But, what happened? A whole “generation” of authentic/campaign participants emerged and ditched the previous methods of educating themselves. No longer did one have to read a book on the campaign they were trying to recreate next weekend, or study uniforms, drill, letters, and photos. They simply had to read the event background, register, buy the right kit from an AC approved vendor, and show up. They didn’t bother with ‘why?’ or ‘how?’ It was just accepted. I’d be curious to know how many of those 700 registered for Wauhatchie could tell you anything about the importation of English materials before or during 1863 or why Longstreet was sent to Georgia. I read four books before that event and, still, didn’t feel as though I had a full perspective on what we intended to recreate.

Point is, the hobby may be growing and you very well might see the day when said events reach brigade necessities. But, where is it going? Are people doing this because they have a true passion, interest, or regard for what they’re doing? Are they doing “right” because of what they know, or because of what they’re told? I admire the optimism, but am leery of the course.
                Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Eric,

Speaking from experience, I can say that there are plenty of "mainstream" reenactors who were driven away by the nonsense surrounding the mega events. I witnessed a re-emphasis on first person living history at smaller, spectator driven events, encampments etc...

This is how I discovered this forum. Perhaps there are bridges to be built here?

Gordon Sheaffer
                  Gordon Sheaffer

2nd Lt. Thomas Jefferson Truitt
                  Co. D 62nd PA vols.

Comment

Bumping this thread for 2019.
                    ERIC TIPTON
                    Former AC Owner

Comment

“As a community, I only see one further step that needs to occur, which was more pronounced ten - fifteen years ago. We need to make an effort as a community to coalesce around our own larger efforts, otherwise known as "National" events. In the past and for years, The Western Independent Grays (WIG) provided this leadership for larger events. The WIG usually had 2-3 "max effort events each year" and each year, an opposition, mainly from the Midwest, was ready to oppose them - much like the days when Cleburnes opposed the Mudsills.”

This was written last January. This year (2019), we have three large events - Assault on Fort Blakeley, Warlike Along the Rapidan and Missionary Ridge. All three have had, or will have similar or larger numbers than we mustered ten to fifteen years ago. Now, what is in store for 2020? Can we keep the momentum going?
                      ERIC TIPTON
                      Former AC Owner

Comment

Hi,
                        I am new to the forum but not new to reenactment. There are a few missing pieces to recruiting new, young, reenactors. I rarely see these discussed, and they are as follows:

Young people can't get weekends off work to go to events. Stores aren't closed on Sundays or Federal holidays anymore. The new employees (young people) get stuck working those shifts.

More competition for "dress up hobbies" exists now. There used to be basically three choices for grownups to do this kind of thing: Civil War, Revolutionary War, and the Renaissance Fairs. Now there's countless options. Every hobby gets a smaller slice of the pie.
                        Jonathan Kuberry

Comment

Originally posted by Appaloosa Scout View Post
                          Young people can't get weekends off work to go to events. Stores aren't closed on Sundays or Federal holidays anymore. The new employees (young people) get stuck working those shifts.

More competition for "dress up hobbies" exists now. There used to be basically three choices for grownups to do this kind of thing: Civil War, Revolutionary War, and the Renaissance Fairs. Now there's countless options. Every hobby gets a smaller slice of the pie.
                          Overall, I have to agree that the pre-COVID economy is a major component of that (and the COVID economy is looking to be a Depression). I am 31, and it feels like everything costs more now than it did when I was in high school and first starting taking notice of common goods prices at stores. And that was before the last Recession. The people I know of my age who are in the living history hobby tend to fall into three camps when it comes to uniforms and gear: (a) they are still wearing the uniforms their parents paid for fully or partially back when they were teenagers, and have not experienced the Freshman 15 in between; (b) they more or less have uniforms and gear on permanent loan from groups or from forts, and are slowly returning pieces as they buy their own; or (c) they are buying low-quality gear from sutler-row websites because that is what they can afford. I am lucky in that I had been able to replace the low-quality gear from my teenaged SUVCW days with better quality gear by saving and cutting expenses and putting debt on my credit card, but not everybody has that ability. And I know that some people give up entirely when they graduate from high school and get rid of things from hobbies that their parents encouraged. I did that with some unrelated hobbies when I finished grad school and moved out completely.

It would be hard for me to do too many generalizations on my generation, because I am lucky to be public sector middle management. I have decent benefits, a decent amount of vacation leave (although it is annual leave and not accrual leave, so I typically just save it until October and take every Friday off until New Years), and most importantly health insurance. Not everybody has that. I also have student loan repayments and pension payments that I will never be able to use, but not everybody has that. I also do not have children or pets, but friends of my age are starting to have children which limits their involvement in non-profits and activities. The reason for why living history is of older generations and why civic groups and fraternal orders tend to be retirees and near-retirees is because of that. There are unmarried or childless young professionals out there who are active, but we are outnumbered by the older people with the free time and money that we lack.

Starting age is probably a factor, but I am thinking there is an elephant in the room that is not being addressed, an elephant that will sit on this hobby and squish it if we do not figure out a good plan for the future. We need to consider the entire hobby, not just the authentic side of it. People are increasingly admitting that American history isn't just baseball, hot dogs, apple pies, and Chevrolet. That the public understanding of history shouldn't be the glorification of famous men. That American history and the past treatment of Black people and Native American people and Hispanic people were atrocious. That history is ugly. History is indeed ugly, and we need to use the bad parts of history to help people realize what they need to do to make the world better (by not repeating those bad parts). Putting on costumes and pretending to be the bad parts and the bad people might not be the best way to do that, especially if we do not admit that the bad parts and bad people are indeed bad. The internet is helping people escape from bubbles, and overall demographic shifts are increasing awareness of issues that BIPOC people face. When I was in high school, I was naive enough to believe in the myths of States Rights and Manifest Destiny. College and the real world and the study of actual history shattered that completely. Living in majority Hispaņo towns and working through NAGPRA repatriation has opened my eyes in ways that were never open when I lived on the other side of the Mississippi.

We can ignore discussions of slavery and just walk around in our uniforms and have mock battles, but we can do so because we do not have a dog in the fight. It is just a theoretical for us. We are overwhelmingly older white men. For me, the battle flag meant the same thing it meant to Northerners and soldiers in the Regulars in 1861, a symbol of rebellion and treason against the United States and a side of a war that I will never portray because I am a loyal American. It still means that to me, but I understand the BIPOC perspective too. It is not just a theoretical for them. For an increasing proportion of the population, it only means slavery and racism and oppression, both in a historical context and a modern context. The forts out west are a fun place for living history events, especially when the barracks are still standing or were rebuilt, but 50 miles away are people still suffering the lasting effects from Kit Carson's campaigns of ethnic cleansing and the Bosque Redondo concentration camp. We can have costumed fun, but we are the embodiment of America's sins for many people. When I put on my 5th US Infantry uniform, I represent someone who needed a steady job and a roof over his head, someone who wanted to do his patriotic duty, someone who built improvements and infrastructure out West, someone who protected New Mexico from invading Texans. But I also represent someone who did a scorched earth campaign against the Navajos, someone who shot unarmed Indigenous civilians, someone who destroyed homes and escorted forced marches through the snow to concentration camps and reservations. The current way we do things is not sustainable, and my generation and the next generation are increasingly seeing us as being as laughable and as out-of-touch as John Wayne westerns. We need to adapt to the future, or the 19th Century military side of this hobby will disappear.
                          Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
                          Museum administrator in New Mexico

Comment

Well, that's just human history how people treat each others. Honest living historians will embrace all aspects of the history they are representing.
                            I dont see much pressure on Roman reenactors, WW1 reenactors, maybe even rev war about the darker side of their respective subjects.
                            Justin Dalby

Comment

It's not as if atrocities and the reality of growing as a nation are unique to the Americas, or as if slavery and exploitation of a large portion of the society were created from whole cloth in America. I wonder the people who insist on calling both the US and CS "the bad guys" at the same time are as quick to remind people of the infants and women that the Comanche tortured to death as part of their expansionism on the plains, or if they're equally upset with the Bantu genocide of the Bushmen... Or if I should be upset at Roman reenactors for the atrocities committed against my ancestors in the Iberian campaigns. It should be noted that, generally speaking, on this forum the issue of "glorifying" and "portraying" a unit/person/time are two totally seperate issues-- you won't find many neo-confederates on this side of the hobby, not that they don't exist. People are complicated, and people are also terrible. History is essentially a study of people. It's easier to attack a cartoon-characterization of the villan we think a Confederate or Roman was than it is to actually attempt to explain the context in which the person or thing existed. Isn't that what the whole point of studying history is, to create that context?

If both sides are bad (Because Slavery and Indians), and if "Putting on costumes and pretending to be... the bad people might not be the best way," it occurs to me there wouldn't be a side to portray. It might be of note that it is possible to learn about and portray a thing without using post-modern intersectionality to create a boogeyman, and to learn about it without glorifying it. Frankly, if the blue uniform is "the embodiment of Americas sins" to someone, I'd think that person better off elsewhere than the US. It occurs to me that if the focus is on people that think that America is a uniquely terrible institution of oppression and genocide, and that every fascet within that institution is guilty to one degree or the other of "Americas sins," then any sort of interpretation no matter how nuanced or balanced would be offensive and apologetic.

Perhaps it's different in the mainstream world, but when I get out to an EBUFU there ain't much that reminds me of a John Wayne western... Then again, I don't get why someone would want to wear the uniform of a group that they thought was literally genocidal. Perhaps I'm just out of touch.
                              Tyler Gibson
                              The Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X