Petersburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petersburg

Does anyone have any suggestions for good reading about Petersburg?
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: Petersburg

"The Horrid Pit", I forget the author's name but I picked it up at the the Petersburg V.C. bookstore several years ago. I think the author was a former N.P.S. historian at the park.

Fiction - "The Crater" focuses on draftees, U.S.C.T. Good characters, interesting story. Haven't read it in a long time so I can't comment on historical accuracy but still a good read.

I've got both of these at home on the bookshelf so I'll try to remember to get the author and ISBN and post them tomorrow.
    Marlin Teat
    [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus
      Does anyone have any suggestions for good reading about Petersburg?
      The Last Citadel :Petersburg, Virginia, June 1864-April 1865
      Trudeau, Noah Andre
      Little, Brown & Company

Bookstore at Petersburg NB
      Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 01-29-2004, 10:37 AM.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The Last Citidal is indeed an excellent book and will give you a good overall picture of things that went on in that area. After reading that one you can pick the battles that interest you the most. There is so much to learn about the events around Petersburg in addition to the Crater.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
        X