G.K. Warren...the good & the bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.K. Warren...the good & the bad

Am prepping a tour for some folks writing a biography on Warren. We'll visit White Oak Road and Five Forks as our two main stops. Was wondering if anyone had some insight into Warren's behavior and personality. Never could understand why a hero from Gettysburg was removed from command during one of the few AoP victories. Does anyone have any references that illustrate Warren's inability to get along with his superiors. All replies welcome. Cheers!
    John Marler
    Franklin, TN

Re: G.K. Warren...the good & the bad

Hey John,
    I just finished the book; In the Hands of Providence, Joshua L Chamberlain & The American Civil War. While this is not about Warren as the main topic, it does cover the reaction of Chamberlain and the rest of Warren's officers, and they felt he was dismissed unjustly. It didn't cover Warren's inability to get along with superiors, but his subordinates seem to have felt a great affection for him.
    Robert Gobtop
    Ol Sipley Mess
    ONV
    Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

John,

For one thing, Grant was not at Gettysburg. Take a look at Gordon Rhea's volumes covering the Overland Campaign. During that time, Grant had ample opportunity to develop an opinion and assessment of both Warren's abilities as a corps commander and his personality. Grant found him cautious and rebellious, prone to questioning orders from above and, at times, disobeying them. Two things, I think it's safe to say, that Grant did not admire. In fact, it has been reported that Grant even considered removing Warren from command as early as Spotsylvania Court House.

While I have not read the following titles, and can't say whether they offer good assessments of Warren's struggles and ultimate removal, you might want to check them out:

David M. Jordan. "Happiness Is Not My Companion": The Life of General G. K. Warren (Indiana University Press, 2001)

Ed Bearss and Chris Calkins. The Battle of Five Forks (H.E. Howard, 1985).

Eric
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

See if you can find: "Controversies and Commanders: Dispatches from the Army of the Potomac," by Stephen W. Sears. It gives an excellent analysis of Warren's removal and the events/personalities preceding it. Amazon has used or even like new copies VERY CHEAP.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Wasn't it Phil Sheridan who had Warren removed from command?
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Yup, Sheridan DID remove Warren "during the battle" at Five Forks. Prior to the battle Grant gave Sheridan "carte blanche' " to do with Warren as he saw fit.

Cheers!
            John Marler
            Franklin, TN

Comment

Working...
            X