Fair Oaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Oaks

I am in Virginia for work this week and will be driving from Norfolk to Washington tomorrow (in no particular rush). I am interested in going via Yorktown and would be interested in seeing Fair Oaks, where my g-g-g grandfather lost his arm on June 25, 1862. Would this area be a part of the Richmond Nat'l Battlefield Park?

Regards,

Sam Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: Fair Oaks

Sam,

Next to nothing remains of the Fair Oaks/Seven Pines battlefield. There is a National Cemetery and a couple markers, but that is about it. No land has been preserved and there is no NPS presence there. You may consider stopping at one of the NPS visitor centers (Glendale, Cold Harbor) to speak with a ranger/historian. They may be able to show you on a map where your ancestor's unit fought.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric identifies a pretty sad legacy of the fierce action that was overshadowed by the Seven Days Campaign in both casualties and preservation, if not ferocity. I remember visiting the little Seven Pines National Cemetery (1.9 acres) about 15 years ago to see the grave of Nicholas Hammer, 1st Minnesota, KIA. I was saddened by the situation then, but the little corner of green remains a very solemn and fitting last resting place for those men - no famous generals, just soldiers who died in defense of their country. Only 141 of them are known, the rest unknown (1216). From the looks of the photos today, it appears the cemetery itself has been spruced up nicely when it was added to the NRHP in 1995.

Here is a link: http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/sevenpines.asp

The good news is we have made tremendous strides saving more of the Peninsula Campaign than many thought possible. Eric has been in the middle of that since day one - thanks Eric!
      Last edited by DougCooper; 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I was wondering if any other AC members, who, like myself, had ancestors in the
        6th Alabama, a group who suffered mightily at Seven Pines. My GGG was in Company L.

Bob Taylor

Comment

Gents,

I appreciate the advise and will go ahead and stop by the Cold Harbor Battlefield tomorrow.

Regards,

Sam Dolan
          -Descendant of John L. Tibbetts, 19th Mass Vols
          Samuel K. Dolan
          1st Texas Infantry
          SUVCW

Comment

If you take the main road through Sandson you will travel through the middle of the battlefield and end up at Savage Station. McCllenns 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines are well marked by signs. (I think it is Rt. 5.) A good starting point would be Byrd airport and head east. All of the airport area was once earthworks. The ground that Sandston now sits on saw much fighting during the Fair Oaks battle. The Park Rangers will probably have a map to follow.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
            X