This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Civil-War Neoslavery

I'm not sure if this topic is appropriate here, but it is related to the topic of slavery during the Civil War. Though slavery was abolished in all states by the end of the war or at least by June 19, 1865 the practice of forced servitude continued in the South. The evidence presented by this author are horrific and validated by photos and written documentation.

A click on this link should display the info.

Sablearm
    Independent

Re: Post Civil-War Neoslavery

I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't really heard of this until briefly seeing this book last week. I say briefly because, due to media exposure, this book flew off the shelves over the weekend and my store, and probably others, sold out (I work for a major bookselling chain, who shall remain nameless but rhymes with Barnes & Goble.)
    Arch Campbell
    Hairy Nation
    Loyal Union League
    Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Couldn't get the link in the original post to open (my crappy computer's fault), but for primary sources on freedmen just post war, a great site is--no surprise--http://www.freedmensbureau.com/

Just at random, it has reports like this:

September 14th, 1865 - Joseph Hall, Prince Frederick Co., states the case of Rindy Allen as follows: her son was hired out by him, and she received his wages and clothed and fed him. Ira Young, her former master, got the boy bound to him by the Orphans Court against the mother's protest and treated him badly, whipping and ill-feeding him and not clothing him. And so far for his mother getting any redress she was arrested and held for trial on a charge of persuading him to leave his master.
      Hank Trent
      Not that I'm reading about the Fall of 1865 for an event or anything
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

Slavery should have ended peacefully, once and for all without warfare. The killing and plundering during the War and the Occupation scarred the South for generations. Very few white people, anywhere in America, were eager to accept black people as equals. There was no regional moral high ground, just winners and losers, good people and bad people.

But debates over suffrage bedeviled the North as well. Discriminatory voting qualifications were standard operating procedure in those six Northern states that even allowed African-Americans to vote at all. Referendums in 1865 to expand the black vote in three states failed. The 1866 gubernatorial election in Pennsylvania serves as a good example of the rhetoric employed to defeat black enfranchisement. Pitting Democrat Hiester Clymer against Republican James Geary, the contest was literally framed by the Democrats as a contest between sensible advocates of white power and the raving radicals who would dare to extend the vote to freedmen, as shown in the following campaign poster, "The Two Platforms":

Joe Allport

[I]...harbors bushwhackers and bushwhacks himself occassionally...is a shoemaker and makes shoes for all the bushwhackers in the neighborhood.[/I]

Texas Ground Hornets
        Co. F, 1st Texas Infantry
        Shoemaker

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

While the repercussions of Slavery and the Civil War echo foward in time to us today, post 1865 discussions are "modern politics" and in violation of AC Forum rules.

Sorry.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
          X