Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most popular Christmas carols and the words?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most popular Christmas carols and the words?

Some chums and myself are planning a "Christmas on the Picket Line" for December near Green Bay, Wisconsin and one of the things we want to do is sing period Christmas Carols. I am not well versed on period holiday songs and their verbage so am looking for some help. What holiday songs would soldiers of both sides sing and what are the words are the questions of the post?

Thank you,
    Steve Acker
    ONV

Re: Most popular Christmas carols and the words?

Are you looking for religious or secular carols? What part of the country for the event setting? What parts of the country for the soldiers involved? Where have you looked so far?

(There are some wonderful hymnals on-line, if you're looking for mid-century religious music options, for instance.)
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

In a Civil War Historian article, last year I believe, there was an article about hymns, and I think there was a list of a couple CW-era Christmas songs.

If you attend a church and they have a hymnal sometimes dates, composer and lyricist, original titles (if written in another language), and melodies are listed under the songs. This would be a great resource.

An example from the LBW (Lutheran Book of Worship):

The First Noel (56)

Text: English carol, c. 17th cent. The First Nowell
      Tune: English carol, c. 17th cent.

Another example with better dating:
      Lo, How a Rose Is Growing (58)

Text: German 15th cent.; tr. Gracia Grindal, b. 1943 Es Ist Ein Ros
      Tune: Alte Catholische Geistliche Kirchengesäng, Köln, 1599

Note that the version in this book is translated in the 20th century, but may have a translation dating to the time of the Civil War. Or you could just sing the song in German :D.

Hope this helps.
      - Pvt. S. Martin Aksentowitz
      1st California Co. F
      Carleton's Cannibals

[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Angst kommt; da werden sie Heil suchen, aber es wird nicht zu finden sein.- HESEKIEL 7.25[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"To day we. . . stopped a few minutes to examine the crumbling ruins the walls were defaced with Texians traitors names and Texican Braggodocia but nary a Texican thare to answer to his name or make good his writing on the wall."
      -Eli W. Hazen, 1st California Vol. Inf.[/CENTER]

[RIGHT][COLOR="Silver"]"Credo Quio Absurdum" - ECV[/COLOR][/RIGHT]

Comment

The concept is two picket lines meeting on Christmas day, one members of a Wisconsin regiment yet to be determined decides to share a fire and peace with members of a Confederate unit ( decided by the research of who was opposite our Wisconsin choice). So regionally I'm looking for Wisconsin and probably Virginia.

The religious pieces are a big part of what we're looking for but mostly the songs sung by hearth with family and friends. Of course we'll kick in some camp songs as well and although the songs are not the crux of the experience it will hopefully make a moment for the fellas as they sit by the fire sharing the beauty of song with fellas in the opposing army.

Thanks for the help,
        Steve Acker

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Acker View Post
          ...What holiday songs would soldiers of both sides sing and what are the words are the questions of the post?Thank you,Steve AckerONV
          Steve -

None better than "One Horse Open Sleigh". the song that became "Jingle Bells", but which has a little different tune if you can unlearn the modern version. Makes for an entertaining talking point for your audience. It was written as a Thankgiving song but soon was adopted for singing through Christmas season.

Attached is a copy of the period sheet music, and here's a link to listen to the tune as a digital midi "One Horse Open Sleigh.mid" from

Of course the song sounds better accompanied by real instruments like banjo or guitar.

Dan Wykes
          Attached Files
          Danny Wykes

Comment

Steve,

We are working on a project for Christmas for an 1844 church and are using the following music list. Maybe it will help you some.

PRE-CIVIL WAR and 19TH CENTURY CHRISTMAS TUNES

Adeste Fidelis-1853 O Come All Ye Faithful -Latin 18th cent Eng.1853 Fredrick Oakley
            Angels We Have Heard on High - Traditional French Carol
            Carol of the Birds-Traditional French Carol
            Deck the Halls - Traditional Welsh melody and words added in the mid-19th century
            Ding, Dong Merrily On High-16th century French Tune
            Don’t Stay Away (My Jesus Says There’s Room Enough)-1870
            First Noel, The - first appeared in print in English in 1833.
            God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - English Traditional
            Hark the Herald Angels Sing-1851-Charles Wesley 1739; Music: F. Mendelssohn 1859
            Here We Come a Wassailing-17th century English Traditional
            Holly and the Ivy, The-English, Tune over 1000 years old
            I Heard Bells on Christmas Day - Henry W. Longfellow - Dec. 25, 1863
            It Came Upon the Midnight Clear -1849
            Joy to the World - Issac Watts 1719 (Psalm 9)
            Lo, How A Rose E’er Blooming-15th century tune: 1599
            O Come, O Come, Emmanuel-12th Century, 1851 translated to English
            O Tannenbaum-1824
            Oh, Holy Night - M. Placide Cappeau de Roquemaure - 1847
            One Horse Open Sleigh, The - Oliver Ditson 1857
            (Originally a Thanksgiving song but in 1859 the title was changed to Jingle Bells.)
            Silent Night, Holy Night - Joseph Mohr - 1818
            Twelve Days of Christmas - appeared in print in 1790
            We Three Kings of Orient Are - 1859
            While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night - Nahum Tate - 1700
            What Child Is This - William Chatterton Dix - 1865 set to the tune of Greensleeves.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Respectfully,
            Frank Hendrix
            Civil Folks Living History Guild
            Heart of Georgia[/FONT]

When everything is coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane.

Comment

Perfect and thank you all for the help. The last thing I want to do is put on my kit, immerse myself in an 1862 setting and then sing Jingle Bell Rock.

Thanks again,
              Steve Acker

Comment

Steve,
                I was thinking on the lines of "Santa and His Ole Lady" by Chech and Chong....DOnta esta Santa Claus...walking down the street with no choes on his feet..."...Hey Man, Santa is a Mamsieta...ok...I'll stop.

Comment

One song I see pop up quite frequently in soldier's letters around the holidays is "Home Sweet Home."
                  Brian Koenig
                  SGLHA
                  Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Here's a thought....I don't know if the research community would consider this a good source....but check Dickens. Maybe you could find some songs that were brought over from Jolly 'Ol England!
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

We use the 1857 Episcopal Hymnal......

Don't forget that Adeste Fidelis at half tempo during the ACW was used at MANY funerals.....probably not the song to sing for merry times.......
                      RJ Samp
                      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                      X