Sanitary Commission survey with huge amount of detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitary Commission survey with huge amount of detail

I picked up the January 9, 1862 page 8 New York Times article on the Sanitary Commission during the Alexander Street free month and have only just gotten around to reading it. To my surprise, there is a HUGE amount of detail in the survey, ranging from average age (slightly less than twenty-five, with half of enlisted men being under twenty-three, average age of officers thirty-four), to the types of tents issued to each regiment (58% wedge tent, 10% wall tent, 7% bell tent, 19% Sibley, others unspecified; 24% had board flooring in camp, 20% India rubber cloth, 21% boughs or straw, 35% had men sleeping directly on the ground) to how much pay they sent home. There are statistics on regimental libraries and their contents, the prevalence of drinking and gambling (one may suspect it's a bit toned down, but still interesting) and the effects of hard marching. It's a whole lot of information for one newspaper page and is definitely worth a look.
    Becky Morgan

Re: Sanitary Commission survey with huge amount of detail

I would like to see this, could you post a link?
    thanks
    Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
    The Tater Mess

Comment

Re: Sanitary Commission survey with huge amount of detail

Not sure if this is completely kosher (if not, mods, I will understand lockage, removal or what have you.) I'll attach the pdf.
      Also, I ran across this link, and it, too, is in .pdf format:
      http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/sp...faids/ussc.pdf
      Attached Files
      Becky Morgan

Comment

Working...
      X