Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PTSD throughout History

Folks,

Just for added information, one of the terms used during the ACW era for PTSD was "Soldier's Heart". In my gggreat uncle's pension application to the state of Florida, the physician's affidavit list his disability as "Meloncholic Insanity". The doctor believed it was directly related to a head wound (he was wounded five times). His widow eventually received a pension of $120.00 per year from the state of Florida.
    Charles Kevin Traxler
    "You may find me one day dead in a ditch. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass" Trooper M. Padgett

Comment

And Brett,

The bottle is a great place to begin.
      J. M. Wesson Lodge #317

Operation Iraq Freedom II

"We are unworthy Servants.....We have only done our Duty"
      --Luke 17:10
      I agree,many of us have been there...drowning inside that bottle. Let's not forget the post-war veterans that were addicted to opiates back then.

Capt. Nick Miller
      33rd O.V.I., Co. F
      "The Acorn Boys"

Former Firefighter-EMT
      St. Andrews FD
      Charleston, SC
      Engine Co. 4, Battalion 2

"Because I live, ye shall live also", John 14:19
      [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
      -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
        I'm looking for any books or articles that anyone has heard of that relate to post traumatic stress disorder thoughout history, especially the Civil War. I've already found a book called Shook Over Hell that pertains to this, but I need more, and I think I have an article from Living Historian Magazine, but anything will help.

Thanks for your help
        You will not find any period references to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as this diagnosis is fairly recent c. 1980. PTSD was only added to Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief, CFR 4 Schedule for Rating Disabilities on February 3, 1988. FYI... CRF 4 is the VA's regulations for disabilities.

I currently work for the Department of Veterans Affairs as a Senior Veterans Service Represenative (GS-11) at the Indianapolis VA Regional Office. One of my specialties for our office is PTSD stressor verification.

I’ve had many claim folders come across my desk and have seen it diagnosed for WWII and Korean War veterans as anxiety condition, combat neurosis, depression, etc…

About six years ago our file clerks ran a list of inactive claim folders and found several that were Civil War Veterans. The reason we had these claim folders was because the disabled (i.e. mentally or physically handicapped) children were drawing benefits based on their father’s service. Prior to shipping them to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) one of the file clerks knew I was a CW aficionado and let me review the claim folders prior to retirement to NARA.

Almost every one of these CW veterans were residents of the * Marion Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Marion, Indiana (now known as the Marion VA Medical Center). Many of these CW veterans had some sort of mental disability or signs of a mental disorder. More than likely it would be what we call PTSD today.

You will need to research period references and look for the symptoms of PTSD. You can find a listing of PTSD symptoms in the Diagnostic and Statically Manual of Mental Disorders (aka DSM IV). These symptoms haven’t changed no matter if you label it as “soldiers heart”, “shell shock“ “combat fatigue”, or “PTSD”.

I read a study with regards to PTSD several years ago at work (I wish could remember where I found it) while doing some research. It was noted that as a group WWII Veterans were less than likely as Vietnam Veterans to have PTSD. Why? When you think about it’s simple. For WWII Veterans after the war ended they came home as a unit for the most part, these men had time on transport ships to share their experiences with one another. These WWII Veterans had time to adjust unlike our Vietnam Veterans. When a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine ended their tour of duty in Vietnam they were put on a plane and within usually two days, discharged and back in civilian life they went.

Strictly speculation on my part here but, I would say that CW veterans probably were more able cope with their wartime experiences than we are today. These men after the war were neighbors, relatives, and often times participated in the GAR and other societies/organizations. Again, several avenues to have someone who you can relate to and to share your experiences with.

DoD has learned a big lesson from this and we are seeing more and more active duty and/or reserve/National Guard units are returning from Iraq or Afghanistan having stand downs once they return to the States. This allows these men and women to unwind together and to allow time for them to share their experiences, being with one another among people who have been there, done that and truly understand your emotions and feelings.

* My Masonic Brother and Pard in the GHTI (Matt Rector) wrote a fantastic article about the lack of preservation efforts at the Marion Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in the January/February 2005 edition of the “Civil War Historian”.
        Last edited by Hoosier Yank; 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM.
        Bill Young
        WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
        Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
          Out of curiosity, have you looked at other times temperance movements increased, and looked for similar correlations? For example, there was a huge upswing in the 1850s (Maine laws), which slackened in the 1860s. Any theory on why temperance became such a focus then?

On the main topic, I'd also look at the vagabond/tramp era that came after the war as a symptom of the same thing. For example:

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          It seems linking a temperance movement to ptsd would be very hard, the same with tramps I'd think. Wouldn't it have to rule out any other movements that might up the intolerance for drinking or on the other hand other things that would up the drinking that have nothing directly to do with the war? For certain there was ptsd but, on another note, I've always wondered if comparing people today to people of the past, apples to apples, is flawed due to cultural differences not figured into it. Today things are a little different I'd say. We're spoiled with comforts and instant gratification. I wonder if this plays a part in how we deal with the horrors of war ... being the wimpier we are the greater it affects us. Has anyone done any work on that? My thoughts on this are hard to prove too I guess.
          [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I resent the idea that we are wimpier than those of the past. First that ties in the old idea that mental health issues are a weakness, which helps no one. I think today we have more information about science and people are smarter thus we can look and notice warning signs.

Don't confuse ignorance with braun.

For certain there was ptsd but, on another note, I've always wondered if comparing people today to people of the past, apples to apples, is flawed due to cultural differences not figured into it. Today things are a little different I'd say. We're spoiled with comforts and instant gratification. I wonder if this plays a part in how we deal with the horrors of war ... being the wimpier we are the greater it affects us.

Brett "Homer" Keen
            Chicago
            [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by cap tassel View Post
              It seems linking a temperance movement to ptsd would be very hard, the same with tramps I'd think. Wouldn't it have to rule out any other movements that might up the intolerance for drinking or on the other hand other things that would up the drinking that have nothing directly to do with the war?
              I think the difficult thing about linking temperance movements to ptsd is it's a two-step process, or maybe actually three-step. First, you have to show an increase in drinking. Then show it's due to self-medication for ptsd. Then, you have to show that the temperance movement is a backlash to that. More drinking and a temperance movement aren't necessarily correlated, and in fact, there may be more apt to be an "anti" movement when something is already declining, as society is already starting to see it as a vice that people can do without.

With the tramp era, at least you eliminate one step, and can look directly at who took to the road and try to figure out why. Though honestly, we have a hard enough time trying to figure out the "why's" of people's behavior today, when we can walk right up to them and ask them.

For certain there was ptsd but, on another note, I've always wondered if comparing people today to people of the past, apples to apples, is flawed due to cultural differences not figured into it. Today things are a little different I'd say. We're spoiled with comforts and instant gratification. I wonder if this plays a part in how we deal with the horrors of war ... being the wimpier we are the greater it affects us. Has anyone done any work on that? My thoughts on this are hard to prove too I guess.
              Here's a link you might be interested in, though it doesn't address that exactly:

Some characteristics of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), notably flashbacks, appear to be culturally influenced and are not ‘universal’ across time, according to a new study.

Not sure I agree entirely with the premise, though I haven't read the underlying article. Another explanation is that once a patient is aware that a symptom is common in his disorder and that it has a label, it's simpler and acceptable to recognize and talk about it, whereas without that cue, he may be unable or unwilling to recognize it as a discrete symptom and describe it to others, even though he's experiencing nonetheless.

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@voyager.net
              Last edited by Hank Trent; 11-12-2008, 01:22 PM. Reason: clarify
              Hank Trent

Comment

I am currently reading a very interesting book that in part concerns just what you are looking for, PTSD through the ages.
                The book is titled On Killing , the Psycological cost of learing to kill in war and society By Lt. Col Dave Grossman.

One of the studies cited in the book was preformed during WW2 in both the European and Pacific theaters by Swank and Marchland, that stated after 60 continous days of combat a unit would suffer 98 percent psycological casualties of all surviving soldiers. The remaining 2 percent were predispossed toward "aggressive psycopathic personalities".

Kind of makes you think a bit. I do not neccessarilly agree with all of the authors conclussions but it does have some fascinating information and plenty of food for thought.

William L. Maddox

Comment

Working...
                X